Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impatient I know but any opinions/reviews on this by those who have it?

I am looking at buying either this or the forthcoming Cataclysm by GMT. Mind you comparing the look of this games components with those of Cataclysms (admittedly only play test ones so far) this game wins at the moment IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweaty wrote:
Mind you comparing the look of this games components with those of Cataclysms (admittedly only play test ones so far) this game wins at the moment IMHO.

No professional artist has touched Cataclysm yet, so I hardly think it's fair to make that comparison.

There is plenty of information about how the game plays, though, including this recent after-action report. Look for more information in the next few weeks, we will be posting an extensive example of play/AAR and the latest test rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
sweaty wrote:
Impatient I know but any opinions/reviews on this by those who have it?

I am looking at buying either this or the forthcoming Cataclysm by GMT. Mind you comparing the look of this games components with those of Cataclysms (admittedly only play test ones so far) this game wins at the moment IMHO.

Cataclysm looks like a very good game, sort of WW2 meets Diplomacy combination. At a quick glance, one difference between the two games that I see is that Blitz gives you units with individual factors, whereas Cataclysm appears to have generic ones. Others can offer better insight than me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveLeLacheur wrote:
Cataclysm looks like a very good game, sort of WW2 meets Diplomacy combination. At a quick glance, one difference between the two games that I see is that Blitz gives you units with individual factors, whereas Cataclysm appears to have generic ones. Others can offer better insight than me though.

Yes, Cataclysm's units have no factors (it's a very high-level game). Differences in quality are baked into other parts of the system (how many offensives a nation can generate, for instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im in the same boat as well. Im curious as to which plays better 2 player?

Thanks, Jake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakece wrote:

I can't speak for Blitz! but Cataclysm plays two-player with few changes, and also has shorter scenarios designed for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
jakece wrote:

Thanks, Jake

Blitz goes 1 to 5 players very well. I just played a solo of one of the medium-length scenarios after getting the box last week. 2 players could play the entire war well, or any of the other 6 scenarios.

Clearly you need to have both games Jake ;-).

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both (more Cataclysm than Blitz!, though). The correct answer is to buy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesca Campofredano
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
I've played both (more Cataclysm than Blitz!, though). The correct answer is to buy both.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys suck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I have had Cataclysm on preorder a while now and am really interested in Blitz!. Wendell, how do they compare with triumph and tragedy (which, yes, I have on my shelf ) as far as complexity and game length?

(Im sure I will just get both but help me sleep better)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jakece wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

I have had Cataclysm on preorder a while now and am really interested in Blitz!. Wendell, how do they compare with triumph and tragedy (which, yes, I have on my shelf ) as far as complexity and game length?

(Im sure I will just get both but help me sleep better)

Tough to compare because apart from the subject matter, they are pretty different games.

First, T&T isn't global; Europe-only. I'd probably say T&T is the simplest of the three games. T&T is definitely playable in an evening; so is Cataclysm though it's a bit longer for the grand campaign (5-6 hours?) BUT Cataclysm has a BUNCH of scenarios which are easily playable in an evening. Blitz and Cataclysm are more similar in covering the entire globe. But Cat & T&T are more similar in allowing the Soviet Union and Western Allies to go to war against each other (can't do that in Blitz). And Blitz' campaign game takes probably TWO evenings (8-10 hours?), so it's longer - but it has I think six shorter scenarios/campaigns so also good choice. T&T is weaker on scenarios - just one - and as a block game with card play, will IMHO be significantly less solitaire-friendly that Cat or Blitz.

So for complexity, T&T easiest, then Cat, then Blitz - though none are too complex, and all have dramatically different mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
sweaty wrote:
Mind you comparing the look of this games components with those of Cataclysms (admittedly only play test ones so far) this game wins at the moment IMHO.

No professional artist has touched Cataclysm yet, so I hardly think it's fair to make that comparison.

There is plenty of information about how the game plays, though, including this recent after-action report. Look for more information in the next few weeks, we will be posting an extensive example of play/AAR and the latest test rulebook.

I know I was probably being unfair and have no doubt that GMT will produce a very fine game as they always have. I did read the AAR you mentioned prior to posting my question and Cataclysm does intrigue me, as does Blitz.

And sadly I know in my heart of hearts that to feed my avid gaming addiction I will probably buy both...........curse you Wendell, Francesca and Jake!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
[q="jakece"][q="wifwendell"]...But Cat & T&T are more similar in allowing the Soviet Union and Western Allies to go to war against each other (can't do that in Blitz)...

Just fyi, Blitz! has such a scenario, I just didn't want to release it as part of the box game because it hasn't been playtested much. It will be added to www.blitzcommunity.com 's optional rules at some point. Cheers, Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is T&T? Sorry, didnt see the full name mentioned and Im not hip enough to the scene to know all the acronyms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
What is T&T? Sorry, didnt see the full name mentioned and Im not hip enough to the scene to know all the acronyms.

It's GMT's game Triumph & Tragedy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a video review, but I'm pretty much going to buy this one any way. I checked out the rulebook and it seemed pretty straight forward.
I'm very much thinking Blitz will scratch the itch that Unconditional Surrender didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocD wrote:
I would like to see a video review, but I'm pretty much going to buy this one any way. I checked out the rulebook and it seemed pretty straight forward.
I'm very much thinking Blitz will scratch the itch that Unconditional Surrender didn't.

Do tell! Its very interesting to see those two mentioned like that...please explain?

Overall I still want to see a full review. I am sooooo on the fence on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
DocD wrote:

Do tell! Its very interesting to see those two mentioned like that...please explain?

Overall I still want to see a full review. I am sooooo on the fence on this one.
Well, Talonz let me tell you! From what I've gathered about Blitz looks like it's going to be a grand strategic game akin to Axis and Allies but with more bells and whistles and hopefully a little more depth. Unconditional Surrender is more of a grand operational/strategic game. It of course doesn't encompass the Pacific theatre.
I was really disappointed with Unconditional Surrender (in Europe) for two reasons. One, I thought it was a little over complicated with some of it's design features. Some of the rules for amphibious invasions and naval interception seemed overly complicated at least for my taste.
The second flaw (and it's what made me shelve the game for good) was the grossly over powering of the French Forces for the Battle of France scenario. I played the scenario 4 times each time trying various tactics. I only captured Paris once and even that one time took 3 plus months....the Germans did it in 4 weeks.
The designer (USE) backed his deployment and strength of French units for the scenario, but I think at least that scenario could have been more realistically brought to heel by the use of special instructions limiting the French units somewhat.
Anyway, I like what I'm reading about Blitz and look forward to getting it for the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Blitz! A World in Conflict is on order thanks to you guys cry
And since they have the sale going on I couldn't possibly pass up another game for my unplayed pile. I purchased Bitter Woods: Designer Edition as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i went and ordered it folks, AND P500'd Cataclysm as well!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.