Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent thread elsewhere got me thinking, just how easy it is to make rules that are just designed to cause "debate". How hard is it to just try and think of a rule that will give offense for the sake of "being edgy" (and also if you know your rule is "being edgy" what does that say about your inclusion if it).

Here are a few examples I was not going to put in the other thread because I do not want a block.

You get victory points if you rape children (pretty edgy ehhh?).
In a train game (such as ticket to ride) add a card for Berlin to Auschwitz (pretty hipster ehh?).
In (say) a game on the gulf war given the US an extra unit called "USMC child murdering squad" (PRETTY FUNNY eH?)
In Munchkin add a card called "aborted fetus organ" that gives you an extra limb (pretty cool eh?)

Is it really that hard to be offensive for the sake of it? It's not big, it's not clever and it's not funny (or hipster) it's childish and pathetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goblin Princess
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I play the healer!Microbadge: Diogenes fanMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: PansexualMicrobadge: Anita Sarkeesian fan
This quote seems kinda relevant...

"Comedians love to market themselves as “edgy” and “raw” for telling casually racist jokes, jokes about rape victims, jokes that skewer the oversensitive and “humorless.” But the reality is that none of that shit is “edgy.” You know who loves racism, hates women, and rails against political correctness 24/7? Rush Limbaugh. Ann Coulter. Your drunkest, shittiest grandpa. Comedy that targets marginalized groups isn’t daring, brave, or groundbreaking—it is conservative."
—Lindy West
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:

"Comedians love to market themselves as “edgy” and “raw” for telling casually racist jokes, jokes about rape victims, jokes that skewer the oversensitive and “humorless.” But the reality is that none of that shit is “edgy.” You know who loves racism, hates women, and rails against political correctness 24/7? Rush Limbaugh. Ann Coulter. Your drunkest, shittiest grandpa. Comedy that targets marginalized groups isn’t daring, brave, or groundbreaking—it is conservative."
—Lindy West
Pretty much my take on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how rehashing an idea from 1350AD is supposed to be edgy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:

—Lindy West
no it isnt conservative - conservatives used to be concerned about politeness the limbaughs of the world are nothing but right-wing assholes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always imagine Pandemic to be a game about wiping out 4 different world races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:

—Lindy West
That is an odd quote. I always thought 'edgy' to mean 'gets people on edge', which rude/racist jokes certainly manage to do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
PandoraCaitiff wrote:

—Lindy West
That is an odd quote. I always thought 'edgy' to mean 'gets people on edge', which rude/racist jokes certainly manage to do...
edgy
ˈɛdʒi/
adjective
adjective: edgy; comparative adjective: edgier; superlative adjective: edgiest

informal
at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Edgy" seems to have multiple meanings, making it a little bit ambiguous/confusing in a situation like this. E.g.:

"edgy" like "cutting edge", "leading edge" of some trend or movement.

"edgy" like on the edge between acceptable/good taste and offensive/bad taste.

Also:

"edgy" = irritable, annoyed, anxious, "on edge".

...not to mention the more literal meaning of having sharp clear edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, funny how you copied out the pronunciation too, but left over the first definition. That made me look it up and whaddayaknow, it actually is what I had in mind.

The 2. meaning imo belongs on the waste pile of useless words, right along with hipster, avantgarde, trendy and others like them. They all convey the same thing : pretentious, novelty for novelty's sake. gulp (And is likely not what people have in mind when asking about edgy conjunction with controversial)

russ wrote:
"Edgy" seems to have multiple meanings, making it a little bit ambiguous/confusing in a situation like this. E.g.:

Also:

...not to mention the more literal meaning of having sharp clear edges.
God bless the English language, so many words yet always the need to reuse old ones multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:

—Lindy West
Sums up why I think Frankie Boyle is the most over-rated comedian of the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Also:

...not to mention the more literal meaning of having sharp clear edges. :)
True, it's why it's a useless term when discussing intent (hence my thread), any one can say they are being "edgy" just by saying Nipple bottoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
God bless the English language, so many words yet always the need to reuse old ones multiple times.
Oh, English is not alone in having lots of words with multiple meanings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Hehe, funny how you copied out the pronunciation too, but left over the first definition. That made me look it up and whaddayaknow, it actually is what I had in mind.

The 2. meaning imo belongs on the waste pile of useless words, right along with hipster, avantgarde, trendy and others like them. They all convey the same thing : pretentious, novelty for novelty's sake. :gulp: (And is likely not what people have in mind when asking about edgy conjunction with controversial)

russ wrote:

Also:

...not to mention the more literal meaning of having sharp clear edges. :)
God bless the English language, so many words yet always the need to reuse old ones multiple times. :D
That is becasue that is how it is usually used in the context of art, and that is what game design is.

You know, this is what this thread is about, people who use "edgy" or "cool" or whatever to try and give legitimacy to a rather childish attempt to court controversy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is why I think Cards Against Humanity is a 5h1t game.

(Did I do edgy right with that use of the S word?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

I'd rather play that than Apples to fecking Apples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
Tuism wrote:

I'd rather play that than Apples to fecking Apples.
They are exactly the same game, just one (tries to) make the jokes for you, and the other leaves the jokes up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
badge
speculative and begging for drama
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
In a train game (such as ticket to ride) add a card for Berlin to Auschwitz (pretty hipster ehh?).
Honestly I thought Train was a pretty interesting idea.

But that's an entire game crafted around that idea, not just something thrown in to be edgy. Did you dislike it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:
Here are a few examples I was not going to put in the other thread because I do not want a block.

In (say) a game on the gulf war given the US an extra unit called "USMC child murdering squad" (PRETTY FUNNY eH?)
In Munchkin add a card called "aborted fetus organ" that gives you an extra limb (pretty cool eh?)
A card depicting slavery in an historical context! (savage!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
badge
speculative and begging for drama
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

A card depicting slavery in an historical context! (savage!)
Have you played Five Tribes?

I'm guess you haven't if you think "historical context" is relevant? It's basically abstract.

I really like it, and I think they did a good job w/ the theme... but I also like the theme in Dominion. Many others would say it's simply pasted on. And sure, slaves feature in Arabian Nights tales... but not everyone is comfortable collecting them as a resource and spending them to summon genies. And that's ok.

Having fakirs summon genies rather than slaves honestly fits the theme a little better in my book anyway. YMMV, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Terwox wrote:
Yes, my point is more that the inclusion of slavery was not by any measure gratuitous. And yet it still caused unintended debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
A recent thread elsewhere got me thinking, just how easy it is to make rules that are just designed to cause "debate". How hard is it to just try and think of a rule that will give offense for the sake of "being edgy" (and also if you know your rule is "being edgy" what does that say about your inclusion if it).

Is it really that hard to be offensive for the sake of it? It's not big, it's not clever and it's not funny (or hipster) it's childish and pathetic.

Does this ever actually happen in game design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Does this ever actually happen in game design?
I think it pretty clearly does. E.g. Pimp: The Backhanding and Crack Whore and Darkies in the Melon Patch seem pretty clearly created with a marketing idea that "if we are offensive, we will get controversy and attention, which hopefully means more sales"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Yes, my point is more that the inclusion of slavery was not by any measure gratuitous. And yet it still caused unintended debate.
It isn't gratuitous, but it's also so obviously pointless too (the card could have been almost anything else) that it's odd that they didn't think of putting something else on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
garygarison wrote:

It isn't gratuitous, but it's also so obviously pointless too (the card could have been almost anything else) that it's odd that they didn't think of putting something else on it.
Personally, I think it odd that some think it odd they didn't think of putting something else on it. Referencing slavery in a game is not the same as making slavery into a game. We see the same flawed analysis in comedy criticism all the time as well. A joke that involves X does not mean it's a joke about X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |