21 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Game type. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am interested in this game, but the reviews for it are actually limited.

How is this game as a 2p game compared to magic?

I seem to dislike the 1 coin rule from what I've seen so far. It appears to be poorly implemented. Has anyone tried tribute summoning (like in Yu-gi-oh)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay is similar to most other CCG/LCG games, so two players is the ideal play style.

How exactly is the 1 Gold rule poorly implemented? You haven't even played yet. Try it out, Epic is great fun, and very well designed. Rob and Darwin know what they are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ONE COIN RULE is, maybe, the best idea on Epic design. You don't have mana issue so you can play sealed, random and draft.

Every format is enjoyable. Then, no. Nothing is poor on Epic.

If you want a more strategic/deep game with mana management to summoning cards you have to look to another game (Ashes?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a veteran Magic player and Epic is very, very similar to Magic gameplay-wise. It's basically Magic on crack where you can play huge monsters on your first turn. It's much more focused on creature battles.

Much like Magic, I think Epic is best when played 1-on-1. This doesn't mean you can't play 4 players, but I'd suggest to draft and then play a mini tournament. Or to play 2-on-2, or 3-on-1 (using Elder Gods that come in the Epic Card Game: Kickstarter expansion).

I actually like the 1 coin rule because it gets rid of mana management and mana screw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Coin vs Yu Gi Oh rules.... I will take the simple thing everyone can relate to. Everyone gets money. You have things that cost money, or don't. That is it. You have an allowance like when you were 6y/o and you cannot go over it. Only major differences are in multiplayer where you get 1 coin on yohr turn and then only 1 for not-your-turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 8
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a video of the gameplay from the designer. Give it a watch and see for yourself if this might be a game for you.

I'm no Magic player, but for me and my group of Magic playing friends this game has been a hit.

Some people, understandably so, take issue with the fact that no method for tracking gold is provided in the box. I think this may help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hassell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Earlier this year, I decided to give Magic: the Gathering a second chance after reading positive reports about Peasant Cube drafting (commons/uncommons only). This meant that I only needed to purchase some inexpensive cards to build a limited collection, so I wouldn't have to break the bank the way I did when I initially got into it. Having a sizable collection of cards would mean I'd get excellent replay value, as I only intend to play casually with family.

However, Magic has that addictive quality where one never feels one's collection is ever satisfactory. I purchased complete common/uncommon sets for 5 complete blocks (3 releases in each block) and 3 core sets. I purchased a set of cheap rares. I purchased some intro and duel packs for training. To try multiplayer, I bought all 5 decks of Commander 2015. Oh, yes, and I needed some binders to store the cards.

Overall, I've plunged down the rabbit hole to the tune of around $700-800. I am *very* happy with my collection, and I had a blast when my nephews and I had a day of drafting from one of the blocks. But I spent more than I had planned.

Then I recently discovered Epic (I missed the Kickstarter). I purchased three decks of Epic to support the cube described in the rulebook for $30. This scratches the Magic itch better than any other game I've tried except for Magic itself -- so much so, that if I had purchased Epic first, I never would've felt the need to even try Magic.

Don't knock the coin until you've tried it. The coin is wise. The coin knows all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
SO? One box of Epic doesn't have enough dupe cards for 2 players to build similar decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is very similar to Magic. The biggest differences are the resource system and the fact that you can attack multiple times per turn. As a Magic player, you will pick it up in a few minutes.

The cards seem very balanced and support different strategies. Still, Epic has fewer concepts than Magic. Card advantage is super-powerful, tempo plays a smaller role than in Magic due to the resource system. You don't really see matchups of aggro decks trying to beat the control deck before turn 6; instead, almost all games feel like grindy back-and-forth wars of attrition, trying to wear the opponent down slowly until his cards in hand are depleted.
As someone who always liked decks like The Rock and its midrange approach, this is perfect for me.

I should add that this is all based on playing with one set, either drafting, randomly dealing out cards for a deck or playing with the preconstructed decks. I can imagine that Constructed will make some other deck types possible, like a dedicated burn deck or a control deck that tries to win via drawing the whole deck (you win if your deck is empty, unlike in Magic where you lose), though I am not entirely sure how viable they will be. I don't see any true combo decks yet and don't think they are possible with the resource system and the restriction on 0 cost cards.

About the 1 coin resource system, I am not quite sure what your issue is. What do you mean by "poorly implemented"? From my games so far, I think the 1 coin per turn rule is a brilliant idea and executed very well. The game is about playing the right card at the right time. Planning ahead is mandatory and gets rewarded. Compard to Magic, you won't lose a game thanks to mana screw or mana flood; as a result, I feel that the better player has even more of an advantage in Epic than in Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hall
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
SO? One box of Epic doesn't have enough dupe cards for 2 players to build similar decks?

Actually one copy of Epic has a single copy of each card in the set. So no duplicates. Not sure what the recommended minimum setup would be to try deckbuilding. You can get a lot of play out of a single box however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
I am interested in this game, but the reviews for it are actually limited.

How is this game as a 2p game compared to magic?

I seem to dislike the 1 coin rule from what I've seen so far. It appears to be poorly implemented. Has anyone tried tribute summoning (like in Yu-gi-oh)?

There's 23 pages of forum threads. There's a good number of video reviews and play throughs. Almost all of this media references magic at some point when comparing the game. In fact, the questions you brought up have been answered ad nauseam in these threads. ...Maybe not the Yu-gi-oh stuff...shame on you! But if you read through the pages and pages of forum entries you'll have more information than you need. You'll have a full understanding of how to play the game as well as hundreds of opinions on it. You just have to do the work of going through it all.

If after 23 pages of forum threads and many excellent videos you're still unsure about the game, spend the $10 at coolstuff and buy a copy and find out for yourself.

If you don't like it, give it away. You can spend more money on a trip to Taco bell than you can trying this game out. And Taco Bell ends up in the toilet eventually no matter how good it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zorander wrote:
rulezfin wrote:

Actually one copy of Epic has a single copy of each card in the set. So no duplicates. Not sure what the recommended minimum setup would be to try deckbuilding. You can get a lot of play out of a single box however.

Rob's posted an official format for singleton constructed (only 1 copy of any card in your deck). If you use the two-faction system, you can play 2-player singleton constructed out of one box as long as you split the factions.

A good way to do this is: Player 1 picks a faction, Player 2 picks two factions, Player 1 gets the last faction. Then they both construct a deck with 15 cards from each faction, following the 0/1 ratio requirements of constructed.

If you don't want to split the factions, or you just want completely free reign, you'd want 2 boxes, for 2 copies of every card, so that each player is free to construct their own singleton deck out of any cards in Epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
greylag wrote:

If you don't want to split the factions, or you just want completely free reign, you'd want 2 boxes, for 2 copies of every card, so that each player is free to construct their own singleton deck out of any cards in Epic.

Aha... So, for this kind of play I need 2 boxes and build decks with exactly one copy of a card. Or I get it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes, a box contains exactly 1 copy of every official card in Epic (there are some kickstarter-exclusive cards which you won't be able to get until later if you're not a backer, but they aren't official for tournaments). And yes, official singleton constructed is no more than 1 of any card. And there is a rule about 0- and 1-cost cards as Rob says in the linked post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
greylag wrote:

Aha... So, for this kind of play I need 2 boxes and build decks with exactly one copy of a card. Or I get it wrong?

With two or more boxes you can deckbuild whichever way you like. If you get a Kickstarter version, there'll be suggested decklists for the gods and demigods which may require three boxes total but no more than that.

However, it is very playable with just one box, it just won't have duplicates of cards. With two boxes, you can play almost any way you want.

Also, keep in mind that the strongest aspect of this game is probably the drafting not the deck-building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
greylag wrote:

There are 4 'alignments' (colors) in the game. Each box comes with 30 different cards for each alignment (same cards in every box). If you split a box so that each player gets access to 2 of the alignments, both you and your opponent can build a singleton deck (each deck uses 2 alignments). You only need 2 boxes if both players want to use the same alignment in their decks (so, for example, if 1 player is building good-wild deck and the other does not want to build sage-evil).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
OK.. Thank you for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Wo
msg tools
I used to be a big magic player. Played tournaments etc. Even managed to win a few.

I think if you like magic, this game will tickle that itch nicely. I know it does for me.

I've found that for the most part, the game is pretty balanced, and the one coin thing is a significant factor in achieving this.

If you want to see some game play, I'd recommend the videos from these guys. I found them to be much clearer in showing off the game play.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/81528/epic/board-game-replay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
jowo91 wrote:
I used to be a big magic player. Played tournaments etc. Even managed to win a few.

I think if you like magic, this game will tickle that itch nicely. I know it does for me.

I've found that for the most part, the game is pretty balanced, and the one coin thing is a significant factor in achieving this.

If you want to see some game play, I'd recommend the videos from these guys. I found them to be much clearer in showing off the game play.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/81528/epic/board-game-replay...

Wow. Those videos almost convince me to buy two copies of the game (2 players deck building). I played a little Magic and I was a pro tour referee back in the days when Magic was a thing and not a greedy cash grab.

This looks very good especially if they will release expansions that add some additional mechanics in order to create variability.

But there is not a problem with high dependency of RNG due to insane 1 cost cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Wo
msg tools
rulezfin wrote:

But there is not a problem with high dependency of RNG due to insane 1 cost cards?

I haven't encountered this issue yet, but my play partner, and I have only been able to get together for a handful of games.

From that experience, I haven't played a game where either of us just dominated the other one, because of cards. For myself, big swings usually happened when someone did something stupid or miscalculated.

We were just playing deal out 30 random cards to each other and playing.

Maybe someone who's been mainlining the game for a while will have a more informed opinion on this than me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played MTG (ages ago for quite some time), Android Netrunner, Doomtown Reloaded, Mage Wars and Summoner Wars I'd say no... those CCGs really play DIFFERENTLY a lot... and EPIC most of that matches the feel of MTG, not one of the other LCGs/CCGs.
But then I feel it is superior to MTG cause of costs (MTG is just too expensive) and card pool size (MTG is just too big) and rules (MTG is just not playing as smooth as EPIC does).

Epic excels at Drafting!

Just for construction I'd probably look at A:NR, D:R, SW or MW (in that order!) instead of Epic. No clue about Ashes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.