Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of two installments of behind-the-scenes looks into the fantastic machines of Monster Truck Mayhem written by co-designer Ben Pinchback. Each truck has its own unique flavor, and drastically changes the way players will approach the different track setups in their quest for SuperMegaDome domination. Each segment will go through an overview and brief history of a particular truck and which types of players will most enjoy that truck. Finally, we’ll get into the nuts and bolts of how best to use each instrument of mechanized mayhem. Buckle up. It’s time to go Under the Hood!

Big D: This was the very first truck designed for Monster Truck Mayhem. From the designer standpoint, the iconic, all-American big blue pickup truck just had to be the cornerstone of the experience. It made sense to theme this classic truck after the publisher Dice Hate Me Games, and Big D was born. Being the flagship truck, Big D had to be fun and easy to use and especially intuitive for new players. Big D became the baseline for which all the other trucks were compared to and balanced.

Mayhem Bonus Overview: Thematically, the “Drive Angry” mayhem bonus is a shout out to the popular Dice Hate Me micro game Angry Dice. Mechanically, it fits the design goals for Big D perfectly. Having four chits to spend at any time in order to immediately move three spaces forward is easy to explain, easy to use, and, best of all, very effective in a race. On top of all that, it also became a nice standard to judge all other Mayhem bonuses by. Over the course of the race, Big D is getting a total of twelve free opportunistic spaces. This almost sounds like too many when phrased like that, (Big D spent some time with three chits instead of four), but in the end, when all the other powers rounded out and were calculated and tested, four was the perfect number.

Gamers best suited for this truck: Big D truly is the truck for every player. New or younger players can easily pick up on using the “Drive Angry” chits, while experienced players will save them for the most opportune times. Big D is low stress. Roll out the iconic blue pickup and enjoy the free movement.

Tips for best using this truck: Advanced players will initially think to save most of their chits until the end of the race for making a final push to the checkered flag. This is a great idea in part, but there are a few other opportunities to be clever here. For instance, the Cthulhu Crusher when in play has three chances to send players backwards on an Insanity Roll. One of the most popular things to try and do with these Insanity Rolls is to send players backwards into obstacles such as a long car crush. This can be devastating especially if that player has just spent calculated time and effort to perfectly jump the car crush. So, a nice thing to do with one of the chits is to burn one soon after clearing the car crush or similar obstacle. This will put space between yourself and the obstacle and lessen the chance of getting pushed back into it. Another great place to use a “Drive Angry” chit is when navigating through areas of slippery track. Look for opportunities where moving three spaces lets you leap frog perfectly between slippery spots stress free. Finally, don’t be afraid to take the long way on some boards. Instead of taking the huge time hit trying to roll for the big crushes (two threes, or three threes), take the long way and burn through it with a “Drive Angry” chit or two!

Big D, the All-American cornerstone to Monster Truck Mayhem is easy to use, provides plenty of chances to be clever, and is flat out fun. And remember to always Drive Angry!!!

Cthulhu Crusher: When first brainstorming truck ideas for Monster Truck Mayhem, the idea of having shout-outs to the some iconic trucks in the world was definitely toward the top in the discussion. With a big, awesome, blue pickup truck out of the way, attention soon turned to a dark-themed panel van. The first idea for this was named “Grave Robber” but was immediately discarded for being too obvious and hokey. Within a short timeframe, we came up with the idea to combine this dark-themed truck with one of the most recognized and beloved villains in gaming: The Great Old One. And, so, Cthulhu Crusher was born. And you know his power could only be one thing: Drive the other trucks insane! 

Mayhem Bonus Overview: The “Insanity Roll” may possibly be the most fun power to activate in Monster Truck Mayhem; and if not first, then it’s second to the Sunday Sunday Sunday! cards. Cthulhu Crusher has three chits to work with over the course of the race. Discarding one of these chits lets the player pick any other racer and shout at them, “Insanity Roll!” Mechanically, the Insanity Roll is a reverse Boost. The player immediately rolls their dice and moves backwards double the highest amount rolled. This is sure to incite hilarity and chaos, and it is highly probable to be temporarily devestating to the subject racer when timed properly. 

Gamers best suited for this truck: Two completely different types of racers will be perfect for Cthulhu Crusher. The first is the very fast natural roller; the player who may generally trend toward the front of the pack without the need of a fast-moving helper bonus. This is very tough on the competition being neck and neck with Cthulhu Crusher down the stretch knowing that at any moment they might be driven insane. The second type of player perfect for Cthulhu Crusher is the “button pusher”, the player who likes to invoke and enjoy chaos. Some players love being an agent of chaos and laughing all the way around the track. Cthulhu Crusher is your truck, and possibly the overall most-popular truck racing in the SuperMegaDome today. 

Tips For Best Using this truck: Like some of the other powers, it’s supremely handy to save at least one Insanity Roll chit until near the end of the race. Taking out the leader right down at the wire has propelled Cthulhu Crusher to many victories. Using all of the chits this way, however, would be missing out on some fantastic opportunities to literally drive the other players insane. Look for drivers who have just eked over obstacles; suggested ones are any multi-car crush or any large "3 3" or "3 3 3" obstacle crush. Causing a player in this position to reverse boost can easily send them right back into the obstacle and slow them down tremendously. Another interesting way to approach an Insanity Roll is to simply mess with people’s heads. Figure out who you believe to be the fastest player in the race and think about hitting them with one or two Insanity Rolls. This says to them, “I’m the Great Old One, and I’m gonna be here all race.” Get in that alpha player’s head and have them over-thinking everything from the get-go. 

Cthulhu Crusher, awakened and on your bumper, is a powerful finisher for faster players and amazing fun for those agents of chaos. Insanity Roll!!!

Stay tuned for the second installment of Under The Hood on Monday, and check out Monster Truck Mayhem on Kickstarter now! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/monster-truc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Microbadge: Leaving Earth fanMicrobadge: Genetics enthusiastMicrobadge: Tokyo Series fanMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: Oink Games fan
Good article. It tracks with what I saw in my two plays at Origins 2015.

This game will satisfy the last gap in my real time game collection.

Full Co-op = FUSE
Team Play = Space Cadets: Dice Duel
1v1 Play = Angry Dice & Space Cadets: Dice Duel – Die Fighter
2+ Every Man, Woman, and Child for Themselves = Monster Truck Mayhem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: JackassMicrobadge: I´m only half evilMicrobadge: We are all winners - we were the fastest spermMicrobadge: Attempting to give a damn.......damn not given.
This looks so fun, it really needs to get funded.

Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
EASTVALE
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I hope this gets funded! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls