Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wiz-War fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fan
EDIT: Sorry - I have no idea why this ended up posted in 'Sessions' rather than 'General'. Could somebody please move it?

G'day all,

Just something I've been pondering lately... apologies if it's been suggested before.

Nyarlathotep seems to be regarded as the biggest 'missing in action' Ancient One. He (or rather it) has been teased since the release of Eldritch Horror, with cryptic puzzles and codes for fans to decipher, but hasn't shown up as an AO (despite putting in the occasional cameo appearance as a Rumour or an encounter).

Because he's so popular, I'd expected him to show up in an early expansion. Then, when he didn't show up in 'Under the Pyramids' despite the Egypt theme, I guessed like other people that a future Dreamlands expansion would be the next most likely home for him (due to his appearance in Lovecraft's story The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath).

However... the longer he stays MIA, the more I wonder if Fantasy Flight has something extra-special planned for him.

This is purely speculative, but indulge me...

My understanding is that the Call of Cthulhu RPG featured a famous and highly regarded campaign called 'Masks of Nyarlathotep', which involved travelling all over the world to confront his various cults, each dedicated to one of his thousand forms. (Stop me if any of this isn't accurate, by the way.) That sort of scenario seems tailor-made for Eldritch Horror's global setting.

Meanwhile, the Arkham Horror game was eventually given a 'Miskatonic Horror' expansion that was apparently designed to rebalance the game for people who had all the other expansions. (Again, please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

Eldritch Horror seems to have been built to accommodate expansions from the ground up, so the problems of deck dilution and so on that AH faced are much less severe in EH. However, I still get the feeling that a certain amount of dilution is slowly taking place as more and more expansions are added. For instance, I haven't checked the probabilities, but now that I own three expansions, I feel as if I'm now less likely to improve the skill that the location label on the board claims--there are so many other quirky things that could happen there instead. It's also becoming rarer to see certain much-wanted spells or items. The Mythos deck is getting 'swingier' because the greater number of available cards means you're more likely to get a run of all easy or all hard purely by chance. And so on.

At the same time, all the expansion content so far has greatly expanded the EH world. We now have a deck for places like Stonehenge and Easter Island, we have an Antarctica sideboard and we'll soon have Egypt, we have plenty of named characters, we have a greatly enlarged pool of monsters/encounters/conditions, etc.

Each expansion so far is designed to work independently, but what if an expansion were made to take advantage of everything so far added?

Something along the lines of a globetrotting adventure like 'Masks of Nyarlathotep'?

For example... I know that EH has moved away from the 'all boards and content at once' problem that plagued AH, but what if an expansion were specifically designed to use everything at once--Antarctica plus Egypt plus Mystic Ruins plus whatever else exists by that time?

Or it could just be a case of rebalancing and addressing deck dilution.

In other words, assuming that Eldritch Horror might one day need an 'expansion for all the expansions', is it possible that FFG is saving up Nyarlathotep for that purpose?

Maybe his popularity and the constant teasing of his eventual arrival could help to counteract the lower sales caused by marketing to a smaller playerbase (since fewer EH players will have all the expansions than some or none of them). Heck, maybe it could even boost sales of the other expansions as players collect 'em all so they can then play Masks.

As I said, just speculation... Let me know your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jordan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game designMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Vital Lacerda fanMicrobadge: Neil Gaiman fan
I say if this isn't already the plan, FFG should take note and make this the plan now. I want to see this happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 12 BGG posterMicrobadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Disney fanMicrobadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: ♫ In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room ♫
zenshrugs wrote:
The Mythos deck is getting 'swingier' because the greater number of available cards means you're more likely to get a run of all easy or all hard purely by chance.
This is only true if the distribution of Easy, Normal, and Hard cards changes. If every expansion adds the same distribution like the base game has, there is no change in probability. (except for the edge case where you don't have any more of one kind without expansions but would be able to draw another one with expansions...)

Apart from that: I'm not sure if this could be a thing. I'd assume FFG is thinking about combining expansions but it would go against their policy they follow for quite a while now.
I'm also not sure I'd want this expansion. I have all the expansions so far and look forward to UdP, but when there is an expansion that only works if I play with everything (specifically all the sideboards) I'd probably pass on that. The game already takes more than three hours (in our group at least). I can't imagine getting that to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness fanMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Wings of Glory fanMicrobadge: Copper File Uploader
Anduin wrote:
zenshrugs wrote:
The Mythos deck is getting 'swingier' because the greater number of available cards means you're more likely to get a run of all easy or all hard purely by chance.
This is only true if the distribution of Easy, Normal, and Hard cards changes. If every expansion adds the same distribution like the base game has, there is no change in probability. (except for the edge case where you don't have any more of one kind without expansions but would be able to draw another one with expansions...)

Apart from that: I'm not sure if this could be a thing. I'd assume FFG is thinking about combining expansions but it would go against their policy they follow for quite a while now.
I'm also not sure I'd want this expansion. I have all the expansions so far and look forward to UdP, but when there is an expansion that only works if I play with everything (specifically all the sideboards) I'd probably pass on that. The game already takes more than three hours (in our group at least). I can't imagine getting that to the table.
It is unlikely FFG would release an expansion that requires all the other expansions because it would greatly reduce the potential market for the expansion.

I for one would not buy it because I don't own (and do not want to buy) MoM.

I do like the idea of a globe-trotting 'Masks of Nyarlathotep' type of campaign but this could be done without owning all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Yorkshire Rose
Your post is hilarious when read in Sheldon's voice from Big Bang Theory.

Otherwise, great idea on Masks of Nyarlathotep; however, I wouldn't want it to require all the other expansions unless it was an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
Microbadge: Catweazle playthrough fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Master BannersmithMicrobadge: Level 20 RPGG posterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
I think this would work as as small box expansion. He is a single AO and you already have the global base board. Chuck in some new wrinkle/mechanic specific to Nyarlarthotep along with the usual AO decks and there you go.

IIRC the Call of Cthulhu scenario focused on New York (substitute Arkham), London, Kenya (substitute Heart of Africa here), the Pyramids, Shanghai and the Australian outback? Maybe include new Eldritch versions of the AH mask monsters; one for each locale that you have to defeat to get to the big fella? I may have missed a location or two here but I don't think Antarctica was one?

So you may have an option to include the UtP board (say you move to the UtP board after you have defeated the sub boss masks/ solved two mysteries?) which tallies with a perceived preference (well my perceived preference of FFGs thinking!) on FFG's part to have the base game utilising only one expansion board at a time.

CoC Masks scenario also involved an archaeological expedition so some Strange Remnants stuff could be utilised?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wiz-War fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fan
Gah--I have no idea why my post ended up in Sessions. Could a mod please move it to General?

JackhammerJohn wrote:
Your post is hilarious when read in Sheldon's voice from Big Bang Theory.
Sure, but so is everything else.

I could show you the Masks of Nyarlathotep whiteboard flowchart, but the non-Euclidean geometry would likely destroy your mind.

As for using all expansion boards at once--that's only one possibility. Like others here, I wouldn't necessarily find it appealing. (Think of the table space...)

But the expansion could still rely on you having all the others for their cards, etc., without needing to pull out all the boards at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls