Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Zombie game for the fam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello,

I want to grab a game for the holidays with the family, and can't figure out if Dead of Winter Crossroads, Zombicide, or Last Night on Earth should be the purchase? I don't want a high learning curve, nor games which last hours, at least for this purchase. Which would you recommend for a great, fun, 1-2 hour game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly for someting not too heavy you might be better trying Last night on Earth, the other two might be difficult for none gamers (presume your whole family are not gamers that is) ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played LNOE but the vs. teams detracted from what I was looking for in a Zombie game. I already have Mansions of Madness for that style gameplay in a horror theme. I do own both Zombicide and Dead of Winter. The differences between the two are pretty great, so it really depends on what you're looking for.

Zombicide is fast, frantic and action heavy. The game feels like playing through a zombie video game (Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, etc.) and has a lot of great interaction and is generally popular with my non-gamer friends. That said, the game can be very long. Set up is very heavy especially if you don't have much organization to the storage. We have had games go on for close to three hours and by the end we were all checked out. There isn't much here for a gamer. The choices are mediocre and the game is incredibly luck driven. If everyone at the table isn't engaged, then it can certainly start detracting from the overall experience. The game can really suffer from an Alpha player calling the shots as well. My family (including my mother) still cite Zombicide as one of their favorite games to play. Most of the issues I've listed didn't become problems until I added the Season 2 expansions and all the Kickstarter content. The base game by itself was a less bloated and more enjoyable experience. I would imagine the base game of a later season (Prison Outbreak or Rue Morgue) would be all you need to have a great time as it would grant more variability than the vanilla game, but not be too bloated to get out.

Dead of Winter is a more enjoyable game from a gamer's perspective. There are far more interesting choices and the things that you're doing feel more like you're trying to survive. DoW is more slow paced than ZC and likens more to The Walking Dead (TV or comic) or State of Decay (video game). The addition of hidden objectives and a potential traitor elevate the experience to really capture the drama of human interaction we see in most post-apocalypse media. This also shrinks the alpha player as people question loyalties. With my non-gamer friends, the game can sometimes be a little overwhelming with all of the things going on and some NGF's don't fair well with deception. DoW is shorter than ZC, but is on the higher side of your time limit. Most of our games have gone for 90 minutes to 2 hours.

In summary, Dead of Winter would be my recommendation if your family is more familiar with modern board games as it's the better game overall. If they're not, then I would go with Zombicide but you'll want to set it up before calling them to the table and probably want to research shorter scenarios, and it is more fun for people with little experience beyond the Parker Bros games.

Edit: Completed some thoughts and fixed some grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardsandBoardgames wrote:
honestly for someting not too heavy you might be better trying Last night on Earth, the other two might be difficult for none gamers (presume your whole family are not gamers that is) ;P
I'd say LNOE can also be quite long, and there are lots of rules.
From all 3 mentioned I don't think anyone fits. Now I've heard Run, Fight, or Die! could be on the easier side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I recommend looking into Zombie 15' over Zombicide for a quick game. Takes longer to set up than play, but it gives essentially the same gameplay as Zombicide in a 15 minute timed chunk.

I haven't played or looked into Run, Fight or Die!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
I'll first caveat this post by saying that Dead of Winter is one of my favourite games I own, but I don't think that it is a zombie game in many ways. Although they represent "threat" in the game, they don't really do a lot to add a full zombie flavour. You could swap the zombies for Wolves, for example, and the game would be identical.
Now, it is brilliant - the tension of teamwork with hidden agendas, potential betrayal, and the sheer difficulty of simply surviving make it a lot of fun, and the crossroads cards are amazing. If what you want is a run, tense, one to two hour game with a lot of twists and turns, it's absolutely amazing. If what you want is a game to give you a zombie experience, however, I'd probably agree with Zombie 15. From your list, if zombies is the most important element you'll want xombicide, although it can be a bit long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post covers pretty much this topic on the whole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you all for the suggestions and answers; more than helpful!

CS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
LNOE can be kind of fiddly, especially when you start adding in the expansions. I haven't tried Zombie 15 but watching some play throughs that could be the one you are looking for. I mainly wanted to add though that if you are looking for a light/fun co-op you might want to consider Dead Panic. It is a retheme of Castle Panic if you are familiar w/ that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks!

CS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: Origins attendeeMicrobadge: Cyclades fan
You also might want to check out Escape: Zombie City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:
Actually, I recommend looking into Zombie 15' over Zombicide for a quick game. Takes longer to set up than play, but it gives essentially the same gameplay as Zombicide in a 15 minute timed chunk.

I haven't played or looked into Run, Fight or Die!.
We have had a LOT of fun playing Zombie 15' (two adults and a 15 year old). The game itself is 15 minutes, on a soundtrack that has you place zombies on the board. Starts out very simple, and each scenario adds a new rule or ups the difficulty a little.

The drawback is that set up can take a while. In our household, I take charge of this. There is a layout cheat sheet on BGG. When we finish a session, I pre-set (put the tiles in order, pull the necessary counters, have the right cards in the right decks and shuffled) for the next scenario. Then when a play opportunity comes up, additional set up at that moment is 5 minutes tops and we dive right in. Even with busy schedules, we can fit in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Run, Fight, or Die! is fun and light. If interested, check out my review for a break down.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1471311/run-fight-or-die-jo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls