Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules and I am interested in the game. I just have a question: with 84 vision cards and a regular gaming group, can you prevent "systematic associations" from automatically allowing mediums to link a vision card to a suspect or place? My fear is that after just a couple of games, the same group would say: "ok, he shows you this card, so it's the old lady", for example.

Hard to say without having tried the game if it's possible or not (I know you have 7 cards in hand), but I am debating acquiring the game and just wanted to be sure that the game does not quickly become less interesting because a group can "train" itself to automatic deductions.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
The major thing preventing what you are saying is that the cards in the ghost's hand are different every time, and the timing of needing to send each player one dream every turn makes the budgeting of specific cards for specific purposes pretty difficult. Not to mention, there's a different array of suspects, items and places every game, and the ghost will try to line these things up in sensible ways as best he or she can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly replay able enough to be worth the price, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Garcia
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game recently and had the same concer. While I think it is still possible to develop such a system, I think it would take many many many plays before you get to that. The chances that the same suspect, item, or location is in play at the same time the ghost gets a specific card (while still trying to identify said suspect, item, or location) is pretty minimal. Not to mention that even when it happens the odds of remembering that such card was used for that purpose given the many other associations that take place are also very small.
It can happen, and if you play long enough with the same group, it probably will at some point... but it will be a while. And if it does, throw in some Dixit cards for a twist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
It's certainly replay able enough to be worth the price, IMO.

This is what I'm thinking as well - especially since the different role of investigator compared to ghost adds a different layer to the game.

I also think a ~$10-$15 expansion with just more dream cards would help mix things up a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same concern, but

Most if not all the vision cards are excellent clues for many of the solution cards.

For example, the vision card with the icy sign showing a quill and ink with a black bird sitting on top of the sign. That card easily points to any of the nun, or the sculptor, or the bagpiper or the barber or the postman, or the teacher. You might play enough to know when you get that card it's mostly likely one of those but how do you know which one?

If you play enough, you might get to where you know what set of solution cards go with which vision cards but you will still have to figure out which exact card is intended.

This ambiguity is also why the ghost may want to give more than one vision card.

Each vision can be between 1 and 7 cards. With 84 cards that's nearly 5 billion possible visions. I doubt anyone could memorize which solution goes with each of 5 billion visions.

I'd still like to see expansions with more of all the cards. More vision cards, more characters, more locations, and more objects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Sponaugle
United States
South Charleston
WV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on using DIXIT cards for alternate dream cards. They certainly look similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had the game since Christmas and played half a dozen times. We play on easy since we have kids doing the ghost sometimes, but I think I'm going to advocate going up to medium or even hard, as some cards are definitely starting to "mean" something.

We will definitely be getting the expansion and/or trying out dixit cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a suggested house rule from the designers that the first vision given for each card must be at least 2 cards, which at least confuses the "card X means Y" issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.