Subject: Japanese tanks, tunneling, 0-strength units & weapon requirements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. [8.4] Do you use Japanese tanks' extended FOF when deciding if they can be barraged?

2. [13.2] Default tank action, second bullet: "Move the tank unit [...] closer to the nearest U.S. unit." Should it be "closest" (as in "as close as possible to a U.S. unit), like for the regular Assault action? That would make more sense.

3. [13.2 A] Double advance or Fire: Will the tank always attempt to advance or will it always fire (only) if a unit is in its FOF? The wording is a bit unclear.

4. [13.2 M] Multiple fire: The tank will perform two seperate fire actions. I assume this means it will be able to hit more units, not that it can hit the same unit twice. The hit limit per fire phase still applies. Correct?

5. [17.21] Assault action & Tunneling event: Will the movement of a unit into a garrisoned hex in itself immediately remove other garrisons in the Japanese unit's new FOF? I'm thinking no.

6. [8.3] The weapon requirements of 0-strength units only matters when they have depth markers. Correct?

7. [8.2] Double weapon requirements (i.e. unit and depth have the same WR) only have an additional effect when it's the FL requirement. You don't ever need to attack with two units with MG's for example. Correct?

8. Are fractions retained when attack strength is halved due to intervening palm trees? Also, a hex with palm trees and buildings (like D14 for example) = palm trees for halving firepower. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played so I'm rusty on most of those, but I do remember as far as 8.4 that I did use the extended FOF because that IS the tank's FOF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would say yes as the extra hex is part of any Japanese tanks field of fire.
2. Yes. So find the nearest US unit to the tanks starting position, then find a position within 4 hexes of the tanks starting position that is closer to that US unit. If more than one new position is the same distance from that US unit, use the priorities listed in the bullet point to choose (unoccupied position,closest to tanks original position, highest numbered position).
3. The tank will fire if a US unit is in its field of fire. So, fire if able, if you can't, advance, if the new position has no units in its field of fire advance again.
4. It can hit a unit hit in the first attack again during the second attack. This is an exception to the hit limits of 6.34. This is clarified in 15.2
5. I would say yes during an assault action and no during the tunnel event. 17.21 bullet point three suggests garrisons are removed if alone in the field of fire of a Japanese unit performing any action. Assault is an action, but I would say tunneling is not an action but an event. It depends if an event counts as an action or not.
6. Yes. A 0 strength Japanese unit with no depth marker is instantly defeated in the reveal Japanese unit step. (See 8.3 on pg16)
7. Correct.
8. I would say yes as it doesn't tell you to round down (and that fraction could mean the difference between greater than str or equal to str). I would say yes as that hex definitely possesses both terrain features.

These are just my interpretations of the rulebook and lets face it, what would I know!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Vernon's answers are correct with the exception of (5). Garrisons in the FoF of the Japanese unit after placement in a position via assault or tunnels are not removed.

Thanks Vernon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.