Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Combat Commander as my first P500 order this December and I have had a great time playing it with my wife, Skye. This is the first ‘real’ wargame (aka consim) either of us have played, but we have played Memoir ‘44 and Duel of Ages a lot so we were somewhat familiar with most of the concepts in Combat Commander. This is our journey through Combat Commander and also through learning about war games and the different mindset that you need to play war games well. I hope that it can be of some help to those who are new to war games and Combat Commander as far as knowing what to expect.

All of these scenarios were the first time that either of us had played the scenarios (I won’t play a scenario that I haven’t played yet with Skye because it’s more fun to discover the new scenarios with her than with someone else) so the strategies and such might not be all that good. But it’s part of the learning process. The first 3 scenarios were played with some rule issues but nothing really game breaking. I have not made a note of these except where it was a major issue (Scenario 5). Please let me know any comments or questions you have. Thanks.

Scenario #4

Sides: Me- German, Skye- American

General Set up: I set most of my guys up in the chateau (Objective #5) with my Heavy MG on my left and the big gun in the building on my far left (Objective #1). I also put one of my squads and a Light MG in the farmhouse on the right (Objective #3) in order to guard the road. Skye placed her units as well she could focusing on the stone wall getting ready to assault the house.

What went down: Ever since we started playing Memoir ‘44, Skye has had a difficult time with obvious assault scenarios and that was the situation with this scenario. She couldn’t figure out how to use smoke effectively in her head so she never used smoke in her assault. As a result, her attempt to attack the chateau ended up much like Pickett’s Charge did. Her units were just cut down in a merciless crossfire. She did manage to kick my IG 80mm team out of Objective #1 but I was able to move them into the chateau and it ended up not mattering much.

Winner & how: Germany won by surrender and then, considering the scenario backstory, I imagine that the Americans just bombed the chateau rather than sending in more troops.

What we liked: I liked the straightforward nature of the scenario and the multiple ways there are to assault the chateau.

What we didn’t: Skye didn’t like the scenario because she doesn’t like those type of scenarios but I thought it was interesting.

Overall grade- 3/5- I would suggest that before playing this scenario that people familiarize themselves with the idea of smoke and how to use it because the artillery isn’t strong enough to do a bunch of damage but you really need that smoke to give your guys a chance as America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
To win, the Americans in this scenario MUST use their Artillery for Smoke instead of high explosive....

btw, I like this mini-series of yours, Jon. Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A Newbie Couple's Journey Through Combat Commander, Part
Quote:
To win, the Americans in this scenario MUST use their Artillery for Smoke instead of high explosive....

And not have breeze come up 4 times in one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

btw, I like this mini-series of yours, Jon. Very cool.

Thanks. I was wondering for this scenario though, if Germany sets up like I did with little or nothing defending the road, rather than assaulting the chateau, couldn't you just leave some people to guard the stone wall and set up the rest of your guys to run down the road and off the map repeatedly? Then, if the German player shifted his forces to guard the road, you could assault the chateau then.

Is that something that has been tried or are there too many points in the chateau to make that worthwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if Germany sets up like I did with little or nothing defending the road, rather than assaulting the chateau, couldn't you just leave some people to guard the stone wall and set up the rest of your guys to run down the road and off the map repeatedly? Then, if the German player shifted his forces to guard the road, you could assault the chateau then.

Yep; an interesting puzzle for both sides. cool

Personally, I tend to put Schrader, 1x Squad w/LMG, and 1x Team w/HMG in a Woods hex along that Wall - usually K7 (check out the juicy LOS's from there).

And I put the wire in F5, H5, and Objective building 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A Newbie Couple's Journey Through Combat Commander, Part
Chad Jensen wrote:
Personally, I tend to put Schrader, 1x Squad w/LMG, and 1x Team w/HMG in a Woods hex along that Wall - usually K7 (check out the juicy LOS's from there).

My map doesn't have a center dot in K7. Does that mean it can't see anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My map doesn't have a center dot in K7.

Well sonofabi ... would you look at that. I guess those trees grew too tall and blotted it out. laugh

Quote:
Does that mean it can't see anything?

Correct; I'll add in the "black hole" terrain type in CC:Med to cover this. (disclaimer: no it isn't and no I won't)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my solitaire of this scenario, I put two squads without a leader in Objective 3, with all the wire around the (from Axis perspective) left front and left side of that building. The IG went in Objective 1, with everyone else in #5.

From the Allied side, the push was concentrated on the Allied right and center, and the pack howitzer was used for nothing but smoke. However, I didn't consider just running down the road and off the map with most of my force on that side. I will have to try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.