5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Random Urban Terrain needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel W
Australia
flag msg tools
Basically I'm after a "101 Things" or a random table or any kind of resource for various urban small scale environmental terrain, things like "Narrow Alley" or "Rickety Rooftop" or "Fountain Square" or "Clocktower" or "Mouldy Sewer" and the like. Basically various things that can be laid down as tiles or cards that can have a single, thematic modifier (think in terms of Mordheim terrain if Mordheim was a location-based CCG and you'd be on the right track).

Thanks in advance everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen random city generators on the net for rpg's but a lot of those were high level and mostly fantasy-themed. Sounds like you want a DungeonQuest type city tile scheme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel W
Australia
flag msg tools
Essentially. Stuff like "Rickety Rooftop: Characters must pass an Agility +2 (Trivial) test before acting. On a failure, suffer a hit and take no action." or "Narrow Alleyway: Only two characters may be present at this location. Large characters cannot enter. No ranged attacks into this location."

That's just two I've come up with, but you get the idea. I'm just looking for inspiration fodder to flesh out the location deck.

Fantasy themed is a-okay, but kinda...decrepid, abandoned city as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mancini
msg tools
Something you might try is to look at a map of a modern city and grab the different names that they use for streets like....

Lane
Way
Avenue
etc

Also, look for landmarks and take those names....Fountain, Cathedral, etc.

Then just grab a thesaurus and look for different words for the theme you're going for. Example you said decrepit. So perhaps anything along those lines....crumbling, fallen, etc. Then just place those descriptive words in front of the place names and you now have lots of different combinations you can use. All you have to do now is determine how you want that area to effect your players.

Anyway that's just an idea that will hopefully help spark your creative process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Twu
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
I think a good way to approach it is to categorize the terrain by how open it is, which could affect movement, how far you can see, defense, etc:

Plaza - big open space, open on all sides
Square - big open space with buildings on edges
Court - a midsized space open on one edge with buildings on the others
Street - linear space with buildings on opposite edges
Alley - like a street but narrower
Building - an interior space that is physically separated from the rest of the city by doors.

Then these basic spaces can be themed with landmarks or amenities, such as a group of stores, parked vehicles, or trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.