Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jae Ford
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering if there are any variants that have been thought of for Arkham Horror and/or its expansions in terms of investigators being able to gain experience points in order to gain levels. I realize that there are elements of the game which give potentially temporary boosts, such as items or blessings, and more permanent boosts such as allies and skills, and I am curious to see if someone has come up with an experience based variant as I haven't seemed to come across any yet. Does anyone have any insights with regards to this? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jae,

I haven't heard of anyone using experience points ala RPGs, but I know a number of scenarios, like those created by several Arkhamites over at FFG's site, in which the same Investigators move from one to the other, holding onto to certain possessions or retaining Blessings, Retainers, etc.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no variants in the official materials. There is a campaign variant that I created in three of my expansions (The Horror at Red Hook, the Rats in the Walls and South Seas Tales v2) that has a type of experience system. The last entry in this post describes it, along with pictures of the cards.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1204791/horror-red-hook-lat...

If you download any of the three variant, the rules are contained along with the victory and defeat cards needed for the variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the same thing, but my group recently has been playing with persistant(ish) characters. Assuming your character survives, you can use them again and choose one card to keep from the last game to add to your starting items. If you accomplished or failed your personal story, that stays too. I think we will also add a Task/Mission card for each character that you can keep for free, so you can take a few rounds to actually accomplish it. We also draw characters randomly, pick one from the whole pile, and you keep that character unless you are devoured, or until they survive three investigations, at which point they "retire" to a nice insane asylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.