Subject: some questions and (short) first impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Burdett

Honeoye Falls
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - it turns out a completely different newbie couple has also discovered CC:E...

We played the first scenario tonight, and my wife won on points. We both learned how valuable leaders were, and that melee can really rack up the points due to eliminations. She really enjoyed the game!! (I was holding my breath the whole time, waiting for the "this is too complicated" death blow, but it never came). We're looking forward to the next game, and will take the other newbie couple's advice and move onto #3.

I had two questions:

- if a leader is participating in a firing group, can he both add his command value to the base unit's FP and "himself" as a +1 for the total FP? In the example, the leader was out of range, so it was unclear whether he could have added himself into the (X+Y) equation.

- how do you know which units are "green" vs. "line" vs. "elite" for the purposes of redeployment? I used my "free" deploy action when I was overstacked, and needed to split a squad into a team. The squad was a "rifle" and I couldn't figure out what two "equivalent" teams would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff-n-jessa wrote:
if a leader is participating in a firing group, can he both add his command value to the base unit's FP and "himself" as a +1 for the total FP?

Yes. Of course, his range is only 1, so that doesn't usually happen.

The leader always modifies all of the stats of every squad and team in his hex. This is just a passive ability that always occurs. It's completely separate from his ability to use his own firepower (and/or any weapon he's carrying).

Quote:
how do you know which units are "green" vs. "line" vs. "elite" for the purposes of redeployment? I used my "free" deploy action when I was overstacked, and needed to split a squad into a team. The squad was a "rifle" and I couldn't figure out what two "equivalent" teams would be.

It doesn't depend on what squad you start with. It depends on what quality of troops are specified in the OB for the scenario you're playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if a leader is participating in a firing group, can he both add his command value to the base unit's FP and "himself" as a +1 for the total FP?

Yes - provided that the target hex is within his Range.

Quote:
how do you know which units are "green" vs. "line" vs. "elite" for the purposes of redeployment?

Every nation has Elite, Line and Green Teams. Every scenario will assign a player a Troop Quality of Elite, Line or Green. Whenever any Squad breaks down into a Team – via the Light Wounds Action [A36], the Deploy Event [E52], or overstacking [8.2] – the Team you grab from the countermix must match this Troop Quality.

So a replacement Team has nothing to do with the name of the Squad, which is just a representative and evocative title that has exactly zero impact on the play of the game.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burdett

Honeoye Falls
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused, and probably missed the rule...

How do I know whether a given counter is elite, line or green? At the time I played a light wounds action, I didn't have any casualties so I was left wondering whom I replaced the squad with.

Also, somewhat related, do you have to have a deploy card to do the overstacking deploy action?

Thanks, Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do I know whether a given counter is elite, line or green? At the time I played a light wounds action, I didn't have any casualties so I was left wondering whom I replaced the squad with.

It does not depend on the type of unit at all. It depends on the scenario that you are playing. Each scenario lists the troop quality you have as part of the OB. This will either be Elite, Line, or Green. For that scenario ALL of your units are considered to be at that level. Whenever you need to break down a squad into teams you use the appropriate quality-level team.

Quote:
Also, somewhat related, do you have to have a deploy card to do the overstacking deploy action?

No you do not need a card. You get one free deploy event to deal with overstacking in a hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

As far as quality goes, no counter is "Elite", no counter is "Line" and no counter is "Green" individually.

Look at any of the scenarios in the playbook: see the fourth box along the arrowed path? It says "Troop Quality / # Orders". This box tells each side what its Troop Quality is - Elite, Line or Green - and what its maximum number of Orders-per-Turn is. You mark this using your nation's OB Stats marker on the OB Display of the Track Display (as instructed in step HS.3.4 of the Historical Scenario Setup procedure on page 2 of the playbook).

This Troop Quality - Elite, Line or Green - applies to ALL of your units for the entirety of the scenario.

So when you play a Light Wounds Action or get a Deploy Event, this Troop Quality is what you reference when determining which "matching" Team to use: Elite Team, Line Team or Green Team (using that Team's name as the reference).

Good to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burdett

Honeoye Falls
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
now I get it, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
now I get it, thanks

Cool. Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.