Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game four times so far. Perhaps this comes with more experience but I've never had a player come close to using the auction mechanic. Though it seems like a cool idea and I could see its strategic value, for the most part we forget that it's there.

What about you guys? Do you regularly use the auction space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one time I put something up, even I forgot it was there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 games and there have been a total of 3 sales (all involving me, fwiw). A lot of the time, other players simply don't have enough money or have plans for the money they do have. Plus, it's not always easy to put a monetary value on a deal such as, if I sell this good it will cost me 2 points and the perosn I sell it to will gain (perhaps) an *unknown* number of points. What is that worth? Can the players *agree* on that worth? And does someone have enough money on hand? I definitely wish there were more horse trading, but the dynamics of the game seem to work against it, at least a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear what Ryan has to say; he's a bit busy atm though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the one mechanic that seems a bit out of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We're 5 games in, I've used it twice. It's nice to have though not always that handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games, never used. Yeah, that action/spot seems like an afterthought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found it very handy for squeezing coins out of other players. Have some extra items? See how much you can push another play to pay...I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 3 games in and no, haven't used it once. I have to believe that it was put in there to create some more player interaction (in addition to the story telling aspect of course!). I love worker placement/action point allocation games but many of my friends don't because of this very point. Working away on their own tableau just doesn't do it for them.
I can see after playing a while and seeing the strategies you want to pursue (given the buildings available), but not having the resources to do so would prompt a sale or two. Otherwise, I still enjoy the game without it.

TLS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I had a good that I could part with, it'd most likely be a mushroom, fish, or fruit. Would any of those really be worth 3+ coins for an opponent? I guess it depends on whether those items are high on their tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petra
Sweden
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the games 12 times by now and never used the auction thing. I guess my gaming group is to greedy with the goods or to poor to buy. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game yesterday at Saltcon, and my use of the space was the only use in our four player game. Was selling a pot, thing.

No one else h ad any, nor ways of generating any at that point, I don't thibk, and, less certain of this, but I don't think any generators of this were available to buy. That can change fast, of course.

My husband ended up buying it, he would have preferred 4,I asked 6, we met at 5. It was his second type of good. Took roughly half his money, think he had 11 or 12, I didn't want to price it so high he just said, um, no. But not so low it didn't hurt a little.

Ah, going on too much. I don't know how this dynamic may change when it's just the two of us playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
We use it. It usually happens about once a game (we have played about a dozen times), but at least twice it helped someone win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first game last night - so obviously I don't have a lot of experience yet - and didn't trade. But it was a two-player game, and the mechanic seems much better-suited to higher numbers of players. Two players who think they are losing to a third are much more likely to cooperate to make each other stronger; nobody wants to trade anything advantageous to the one person they're competing against.

If the other player is willing to accept a trade that seems advantageous to you in a two-player game, you'd probably better immediately suspect they've seen some way of making points out of it that you missed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.