Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where do Canadians print rule books? I priced a 25 black and white, bound rule book through Staples for about CAN$8. That will get very expensive considering the number of rule books I need to print! So where do you guys and gals print rule books and I'm especially asking people in or near Ottawa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you do higher volume, you get a better per-unit rate. Do enough, and it makes it worthwhile to get offset printing, rather than just running them out of a laser printer. (With offset printing, there's a setup cost, then a very low per-unit. It's getting past that setup cost that matters.)

Talk to a print shop about what you need, and how many copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike unfortunately a lot of people don't realize how expensive printing it. Typically with printing it's the prepress and setup costs and not the run time. This is why volume cost so much less than small runs. It takes the same amount of time to set up to run 20 as 20,000. With offset printing you would need to look at doing print runs of 500 plus as this is really when it becomes cheaper. The big thing with offset is that they can use much larger sheet sizes too so it maximizes your printing. Rule books are probably one of the most costly parts of printing a game. $8 a book in all honesty is very reasonable. You may be able to find a repro company in town that does digital printing cheaper but it won't be significantly cheaper. One of the few ways to reduce the cost is to try and reformat your copy so that you need less pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. Im not printing my own rule book. I'm trying. See if it's cheap enough to print updated rulebook scored the game's I've bought, to benefit from newer fixed rules etc. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Smith
Canada
Parrsboro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
boom, boom, ramming speed, boom boom, boom, ludicrous speed, boom boom...
mbmbmbmbmb
check out the new Epson Eco Tank printers. I plan on getting one, similar in part, for your purpose of printing color manuals...I used to live in Ottawa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Elwood" Hitchcock
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Games prepare us for real life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into this as well.
I want to do some print n play games, as well as proto types. But the printing costs are slowing me down right now.

I'd be happy with a professional playing card printer honestly - cardstock black or blue core, with UV gloss coating.

Is it the lack of demand in Canada? Is it higher prices for materials and labor? I see a number of discount printing places in the States and international that offer these services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.