Subject: Can you trade to build wonders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Moreno
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
If you are short on resources can you trade to build wonders just as when you build buildings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Microbadge: Dog loverMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: PolyamorousMicrobadge: Lotus fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
pastorsam7 wrote:
If you are short on resources can you trade to build wonders just as when you build buildings?
Quick answer: Yes

Could someone please provide chapter and verse from the rulebook? I am mobile right now and do not have it with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
In the English rules, page 8 says:
Quote:
Resource Cost
Some cards have a resource cost.
To construct them, you must produce the corresponding resources AND/OR buy
them from the bank via the trading rules.
Wonders are cards, so it seems you can.

But the Trading section says:
Quote:
Often, you will want to construct a Building while you’re missing one or more
required resources. In that case, you can always purchase the missing resources
from the bank.
And "Wonders" are apparently different from "Buildings" (e.g. the 3 possible things you can do for your turn are "Construct a Building", "Discard", and "Construct a Wonder".

So one might hesitate whether the Trading section intentionally mentions only buildings specifically, thus excluding wonders...

Since the Resource section mentions "cards" generally, not buildings specifically, I'm betting that the Trading section was erroneously too specific and should have said "construct a card" rather than "construct a building".

(In original 7 Wonders, you can buy resources to construct a Wonder, right? That would seem a reasonable precedent for resolving the apparent inconsistency in the "Resource Cost" and "Trading" sections of 7 Wonders Duel.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2016 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participant
I thought the answer is Yes too, wanted to post a reference to the rules and looked through the rules in order to do so. The rules you can find here http://www.rprod.com/7wonders-duel/files/rules/7-Wonders-Due...

But to be honest, I'm in doubt right now. On page 8 is a chapter called Constructing in 7 Wonders Duel. The first sentence is: 'throughout the game you will construct Buildings and Wonders.' So a Wonder isn't a building.
Then there is a paragraph in this chapter about trading. The beginning of this paragraph is: 'Often, you will want to construct a Building while you’re missing one or more required resources. In that case, you can always purchase the missing resources from the bank.' Only buildings are mentioned not Wonders.

You can argue in both ways now:
1. It doesn't say Wonders are not excluded. The chapter is also about Wonders. So yes may trade in order to build Wonders;
2. It specifically say you may trade if you want to construct a Building. A Wonder is not a Building. So no, it's not allowed.

Hopefully the designer or publisher can give the redeeming answer.
(In the mean while we'll go on playing like it's allowed )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
Microbadge: I love my Gamer SpouseMicrobadge:  Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King fanMicrobadge: Antoine Bauza fanMicrobadge: Seasons fanMicrobadge: Pianist
Of course you can.
Most Wonders are crazily expensive and it would be beyond difficult to collect enough resources to fully afford two different Wonders, let alone four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2016 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participant
myyysha wrote:
Of course you can.
Most Wonders are crazily expensive and it would be beyond difficult to collect enough resources to fully afford two different Wonders, let alone four.
Fair point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Five Tribes fanMicrobadge: Mr. Jack fanMicrobadge: Mow fanMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Kanagawa fan
just to confirm: yes you can !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pooley
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
myyysha wrote:
Of course you can.
Having played it 3 times now you can see the game was weighted so that (a) you HAVE to trade a lot of coin for resources to build the hideously expensive Wonders and (b) the reason is that as you have to burn lots of cards to stop your opponent getting the ones he needs you get a fair amount of coin anyway and (c) it really shows how important the yellow cards become that boost your coin earning from the bank.

In normal 7 Wonders you trade with your opponents to build Wonders here you trade with the bank so no real difference in the way you build Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Microbadge: King Crimson fanMicrobadge: Jethro Tull fanMicrobadge: The Crüxshadows fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG poster
Thanks for the clarification.

There are buildings, and then there are wondrous buildings, shortened to Wonders....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls