The Hotness has gone cold...
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I does a game have to be totally re-listed to get a notification about it? It'd be good if we are getting a new notification whenever a price is lowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a seller, reducing prices on occasion, I'd be interested in seeing the answer to this, too.

Also, if there is no renotification, then my Dutch auction on one game is a waste of time...

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that they do resend, but I wouldn't swear to it. I've asked twice here to no avail. Maybe if you started a thread, they might be more likely to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
I think that they do resend, but I wouldn't swear to it. I've asked twice here to no avail. Maybe if you started a thread, they might be more likely to answer.

Er, isn't this a thread...?

Edit: we can test the theory. Add Creature That Ate Sheboygan to your wanted list with notification set to yes and then wait a couple of days. I will reduce the price by a buck or so and we'll see if you get a new notification. At least the question will be answered once and for all that way! Sound good to you?

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Re: Do Marketplace notifications get re-sent when prices cha
I don't think so (off the top of my head), but I will check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gavingva wrote:
davidme wrote:

Edit: we can test the theory. Add Creature That Ate Sheboygan to your wanted list with notification set to yes and then wait a couple of days. I will reduce the price by a buck or so and we'll see if you get a new notification. At least the question will be answered once and for all that way! Sound good to you?

I should have bolded "you".

And CTAS is added. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
gavingva wrote:
davidme wrote:

I should have bolded "you".

And CTAS is added. Thanks!

Two bucks shaved off. Anything at your end?

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I don't think so (off the top of my head), but I will check.

If it isn't then please, please, please add it in! Just think of the commission you might be losing already...!

I would naively assume this to be a minor change effort: the code to trigger the messages already exists, so it ought to be a simple copy/paste job... (But waddoo I know!)

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, no notification. I've been doing Dutch style for a while. Maybe I should go back & raise the prices now...maybe. (Get 'em while they're cheap! : )

Not that I have a lot there really. Just trying to cull, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Nope, no notification. I've been doing Dutch style for a while. Maybe I should go back & raise the prices now...maybe. (Get 'em while they're cheap! : )

Not that I have a lot there really. Just trying to cull, really.

Let's hope Aldie is able to implement this quickly then.

Thanks for the assistance!

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of getting this? Is it low priority?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
At one point, we actively decided not to have notices sent when prices changed. We wanted to avoid exactly what you are describing--people repeatedly lowering the price of their sale in order to have notices sent and resent to people. If there is a real call for this from the buyers (as opposed to the sellers) we might reconsider, but I think that people will find being repeatedly notified about a sale that they'd already been notified about will, on the balance, be more annoying than beneficial. As it is, people get a lot of automated emails from BGG. Maybe if it were a setting (notify me if a price is lowered)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
At one point, we actively decided not to have notices sent when prices changed. We wanted to avoid exactly what you are describing--people repeatedly lowering the price of their sale in order to have notices sent and resent to people. If there is a real call for this from the buyers (as opposed to the sellers) we might reconsider, but I think that people will find being repeatedly notified about a sale that they'd already been notified about will, on the balance, be more annoying than beneficial. As it is, people get a lot of automated emails from BGG. Maybe if it were a setting (notify me if a price is lowered)?

An opt-in setting would be a good idea. In my case, I'm trying to shift games before moving apartments and, for one game, I thought it might make a nice change to have a Dutch auction... I don't get the impression that people are using the counteroffer possibility much, so I also viewed this as a way to show that prices aren't necessarily set in stone.

Anyway, if the mail is posted in their inbox here, they don't even have to read it, just look at the title. A bit like the messages we get if we're following a forum thread.

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a BUYER I even MORE want notifications when prices change. And I'm MUCH MORE a buyer than a seller. Just look at my Wishlist vs. my sales list. And I've bought much more than I've sold too. There's no way I'm going to come back everyday looking to see if any items I want have been lowered.

If nothing else, notifications could be re-sent when the price changes by more than a few cents.

Maybe have thread notifications fixed while you're at it. I never got anything showing the last two messages were posted. Aldie's statement above seemed to say that Markeplace re-notifications hadn't even been considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
As it is, people get a lot of automated emails from BGG. Maybe if it were a setting (notify me if a price is lowered)?

They are? The only external mails I get are from the marketplace... Everything else is internal to the BGG message system.

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he meant GeekMail as opposed to email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
I think he meant GeekMail as opposed to email.

In which case, there really isn't a problem with message overload, now is there...

I get the impression that this is being used as a straw man argument to avoid generating too much commission for Aldie.

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think the real solution is to produce a dollar-based auction system that parallels the existing GG auction system. While people might assume that it would be redundant to eBay, there are a lot of people who simply don't trust the customer base there, whereas the community connections here would tend to raise considerably the confidence of buyers and sellers. Plus, Aldie would get a cut

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.