Codenames» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing in other languages. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are we going to break the game if we use other languages instead of english? We are all solid english speakers but it is more fun if you use your first language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It will make it easier. You'll get a "free" card added to some clues the spymaster gives as you may be able to use an equivalent word in your non-English language to obviously indicate one card. You'll still have the same challenge trying to clue in as many cards as possible though, so I wouldn't say it breaks the game.

The people I have played with who were sufficiently fluent in English to play well preferred to play in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Do other languages overload the same word spelling with different meanings like English does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aelfric_brewer wrote:
Do other languages overload the same word spelling with different meanings like English does?

Sorry, I didn't understand the question. You are asking me if the other language we plan to use also has many words that can have different meanings, like English has?

Our first language is Croatian. I think in general it has fewer words with double meanings.

We just played in English and it went natural, as we have a solid understanding of that language. I don't mind playing in English in the future. We will try Croatian too, but I fear it will make the game easier just as Benkyo predicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
OldNews wrote:
aelfric_brewer wrote:

Sorry, I didn't understand the question. You are asking me if the other language we plan to use also has many words that can have different meanings, like English has?

Our first language is Croatian. I think in general it has fewer words with double meanings.

We just played in English and it went natural, as we have a solid understanding of that language. I don't mind playing in English in the future. We will try Croatian too, but I fear it will make the game easier just as Benkyo predicted.

You understood me correctly. English has "borrowed" vocabulary from many other languages, and has a relatively large number of words with same spelling and completely unrelated meanings. (For example: "lead", either to proceed first or a dense elemental metal. "cow", either to intimidate or a female bovine animal. "bow", either a way of tying a ribbon or necktie, or to bend at the waist. etc.) But they are not always words that non-native speakers would be familiar with - for example, we had a Japanese intern who spoke excellent English but would stop us in the middle of conversations to write down words he hadn't known, such as "brisk."

Because there are so many such "overloaded" spellings in English, there are very many possible ways to connect particular sets of English words, both on the cards and in giving clues.

This is NOT to say it cannot or should not be played in other languages. It is simply that I would expect it to be a bit easier to come up with clues that connect more cards (and are in similar greater danger of connecting to wrong cards) in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probajte pa vidi ;) Try it and see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.