Hide
4 Posts

Germantown» Forums » Rules

Subject: confused about pinning. Who takes morale loss, and when? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ivey
msg tools
I'm struggling with how pinning is supposed to work. I think I understand it, but the rules seem contradictory so I'm not sure. Can someone help me?

Let's have an example, where some units got pinned during the British turn:

Now it is the American turn.

If the American player moves Doyle & Moylan away, how many Army Morale points are lost?
A) 1 point for the whole turn, even if other pinned units disengage elsewhere on the map
B) 1 point for this disengagement
C) 2 points (1 for each PIN marker removed from American units)
D) 3 points (1 for each PIN marker removed, including the markers removed from the British unit)
E) The British army loses 1 point, and the American army loses 2.

Quote:
9.3: remove pinned markers from all units on both sides which are not adjacent to enemy units (see PIN under 13.1). The phasing player must reduce his Army Morale by one if any pinned markers are removed.

Quote:
13.1: B. Move all friendly pinned units so that they are not adjacent to any enemy units; and do not move any other friendly units adjacent to the enemy pinned units; and reduce his or her Army Morale by one (9.3).

Quote:
13.1: NOTE: In Case B above, One Army Morale point is spent for EACH individual PIN result that is removed in this way.

The first two make it sound like A, or maybe B. The last one makes it sound like D.

If Doyle and Moylan disengage, can Spencer move north?
Quote:
13.1: Move all friendly pinned units so that they are not adjacent to any enemy units; and do not move any other friendly units adjacent to the enemy pinned units

1. This basically means you either have to disengage completely or continue fighting, right? So if Doyle leaves, Moylan has to leave too, right? And if they both leave, Spencer can't move north this turn, right?
2. "All pinned units" only applies locally, so whatever happens here doesn't affect the options for other pinned units somewhere else, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I double checked the 2015 edition of the rules and they do seem to contradict each other. The only thing that I can figure out that "each PIN result" means each set of units that are pinned instead of each pin marker. So, if you had two sets of pinned units and disengage both of them, then you lose two morale, not just one. So, for the above, I'd say that if either side disengages, it's one point since this came from one pin result.

As for your second question, Spencer can move north this turn, he just can't move next to 2nd Bn Lt Inf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Taton
Belgium
Rouvreux
Liege
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second question: since the pinned marker is removed from the British Unit, I don't see why the US unit (Spencer) could not go to the hex adjacent to the British.
I think the rule intent is to avoid that a continuing skirmish between pinned units be influenced by any unit "coming from outside". But if the skirmish is over (your example, when the US pinned units leave the skirmish), for me the battle goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
I agree this is confusing. I'd think all means all, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to require that all pinned units disengage from all combats if any pinned unit wants to disengage from a combat.

Also, I think the phasing player is only meant to be penalized for pin markers on his units. I'm guessing at that as well, though. The new note in the 2015 version of the rules just muddies this. I'm intending to apply -1 morale for each friendly pin marker that is removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.