Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a really interesting game of TS, where eventually, in turn 9, I won as the Russians by playing the Wargames card. It's a fairly crafty card- I could see that I was ahead at that moment in time with VP, but wouldn't be for long... at the end of turn 10 scoring I knew I would lose out due to US investment in both Europe, and the Middle East. So I slapped down Wargames, and due to having 8 VP in my favour, won the game. Anyway, my main question is this: what kind of historical event does the card Wargames portray? I did real the bit of info in the book, but didn't quite understand it- it seemed to be all about pushing your enemy right to the edge of nuclear war, but not going over the brink- i.e. the term coined "brinkmanship"
What is the card actually meant to represent?
And what is the cryptic phrase "How about a game of chess?" mean to signify?
Cool card tho, anyway, it pratically won me the game- I don't think i would've scored particularly highly in the endgame stages.

Also as a sidenote, we seem to see there is a shift in this game. The USSR player seems strong early on- but the further you progress- particularly late war, the US gains in power, significantly- they can even make a drive for Europe Total Control if they want at the end- particularly with "Tear down this wall" et al...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What is "Brikmanship" and what does "Wargames" represent
I thought the card referred to this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wargames is a movie from 1983 which included that line "How about a nice game of Chess" at the end of the movie.

Further information here on imdb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

Of course if you have the world next to disaster most of the time (Defcon 2) you have to be aware you can loose the game, while mankind leaves Earth in the nuclear winter.

There are more combination of cards which can lead to disaster at Defcon 2....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, but normally the lucky Wargames player can move the Defcon to 2 on his turn, let his opponent worry about Defcon being 2 for his own turn, and then play Wargames and win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the term 'brinkmanship' first came in to currency around the time of the cuban missile crisis and it does indeed mean taking events to the edge of the abyss (nuclear war, divorce, resignation etc, depends on the circumstance but it is the point of no return). The idea is to scare the other side into backing down to avoid the terrible consequences for both of you, but it is indeed a dangerous tactic.

The principle has been around a lot longer than the term though, and for the last couple of hundred years it has been recognised that a well timed 'exercise' - say a couple of hundred thousand troops engaging in 'wargames' near the border - is an excellent tool for concentrating another country's mind.

The chess quote is indeed a reference to the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Indeed, but normally the lucky Wargames player can move the Defcon to 2 on his turn, let his opponent worry about Defcon being 2 for his own turn, and then play Wargames and win.

Moving Defcon to 2 only to realize afterwards that nice Wargames card is stolen via Missle Eny or discarded via Grain Sales or 5 Year Plan :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is a risk. But only a very desperate player plays Missile Envy at Defcon 2, and the other two only have a 1 in n chance where n is your hand size. Of course, as USSR you might be able to reduce Defcon to 2 in headline, and then play Wargames as first action before anything like that happens.

Also, there is an interesting point about Missile Envy and Wargames. Wargames is a mixed event, so Missile Envy triggers Wargames. The event then occurs with the Misssile Envy player as the active player. So he gives you 6 VPs and then the game ends... Even if you say that you give him 6 Vps, that is what you wanted anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Check out this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/144418
It's a review of a game that I played which seems to have ended the same way as yours. And I still don't feel good about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Brinkmanship" can essentially be understood as bringing both sides to the point where the next step risks an escalation unacceptable to at least one party. It can be crudely likened to a cross between Poker and Chicken ("Chicken" as in teenagers driving cars toward each other at a high rate of speed to see who swerves first).

The Cuban Missile Crisis was an example of Brinkmanship in action. A less widely remembered example occurred in 1973 during the Third Arab-Israeli War when Pres. Nixon ordered an elevation in Defcon status in order to discourage the Soviets from carrying out a threat to send military forces into Egypt to stabilize their proxy's military situation.

"Wargames" might refer to large-scale muscle flexing, which could also be construed as getting a jump on deploying combat-ready forces in preparation for committing them. Particularly in times of tension, large-scale wargames naturally give rise to the question "Maneuvers or mobilization?" They can also contribute to raising the perceived threat level and give rise to unforseen circumstances.

In the early 1980s--I believe it was 1983--NATO carried out large-scale wargames early in the year. In the prevailing climate of the Kremlin, Soviet senior leaders were leaning toward the belief that Pres. Reagan intended to attack the USSR. These wargames contributed to Soviet alarm, and the Soviets reportedly moved to a "Launch on Warning" strategic nuclear posture.

Late that same year, a Soviet air defense facility detected the launch of five U.S. ICBMs toward the Soviet Union. The Soviet AF colonel commanding the installation broke with SOP and did not immediately pass the information up the chain of command because he reasoned that an actual launch would consist of far more than five ICBMs; he suspected an equipment malfunction, which proved to be the case.

His individual initiative and restraint probably prevented a nuclear exchange.

(This information was gleaned from a link provided on the Consimworld Forum related to the game "First Strike".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that movie is sooo classic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cobalt60 wrote:
Man, that movie is sooo classic...

I'd just like to know how Matthew Broderick was able to DSL speeds through an acoustic coupler. (i.e., the device that he puts the phone handset into.)

At the speed of real accoustical couplers, a typcial BGG page probably take a day to download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I knew that the game Defcon was inspired by the film Wargames, but until now I hadn't realised how closely!

http://everybody-dies.com/about/screenshots.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm such a geek for noticing this, but when the computer in the clip is listing the different nuclear war variants, it mis-spells Argentinean Escalation as "Angentinian." Take that People's Replubic of China! It also puts Palestinian as Palistinian...so there's Chille. I'd say the first edition of TS didn't do too badly after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a very similar experience.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1318905#1318905
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.