Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I had my first full play of Automobiles this weekend, and I had a question about how the green cubes work when doing the "gearbox" action.

On the card it says "Gain 1 wear. Move up to as many light gray spaces as your current position in the race. If you are in last position, you may move 1 additional light gray space'.

So one of the other players had two gearboxes come out on his turn, and he is in third (and last) position. He applies the effect of the first gearbox cube, and this means that his new car position when he moves will be in front of the previously second placed player. When he applies the second gearbox cube, does he still count as being in last place (because he hasn't moved the car yet), or does he count as being in second place due to his original movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Čepelík
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first possibility is correct - he is still considered to be the last. Your position is determined at the beginning of your turn. It is even written in the rulebook on page 12 where the card you are writing about is specifically mentioned cool

Quote:
Remember, your position is always determined by where your race car is at the beginning of the Action Phase, not where it will be during your Car Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eisele
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More generically, the turn order is:
1) activate cubes (greyscale, green, etc)
2) buy stuff
3) move car

So your car doesn't actually move until after buying upgrades.

(I was a demo monkey for automobiles at bggcon all week)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.