Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played six times and enjoy the game but the group i play with plays honest about 95% of the time and even when they have contraband they don't bribe. There's very little bluffing, bribing, scoundrel... ing which is sort of the heart of the game.

There's really no incentive for them to play the game the way it's supposed to be played. No one offers money or goods in exchange for not opening bags. It's basically just going through the motions. "What's in here?" "3 chickens." "Would you pay me anything not to open this?" "Nope." "Ok. I guess i'll just open it..." (Clock ticking down. Sheriff decides it's not worth it. Tosses the bag back to the player.)

I feel like we're not getting the full experience but I can't think of anyway to fix the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a challenge.

If no-one bribes on principle, the game can be dull.

But overall, there is more money to be made by bribing and accepting bribes.

It's really up to the group.

Make it a game, or not. Game the system, or don't.

What I can say, is, on average, if there is a group that never lies and never bribes, and everyone plays accordingly, and on one occasion, someone does lie, that person wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack elfrink
United States
McKees Rocks
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Who normally wins?

More to the point, does anyone in the group care about who normally wins.

Imagine how broken tic-tac-toe would be if neither player tried blocking the other and didn't mind if they lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do play to win and generally the wins are spread out pretty equally. Oddly the guy who does smuggle the most actually loses more often than the others. Usually because he misses out on King bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
We do play to win and generally the wins are spread out pretty equally. Oddly the guy who does smuggle the most actually loses more often than the others. Usually because he misses out on King bonuses.

Lot of people suggest either playing with promo contrabant, because it is worth more, or halving the king/queen bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Bear
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has quite a bit of bluffing going on in it. If your group does not try to bribe often, I'd say you try smuggling 3-4 contraband each turn and seeing how long that lasts.

My friends have developed a trend of doing seemingly bizarre things just for the fun of it, like bidding wars for who's bag gets to stay closed! These things tend to lead us to try new ways to play the game.

One thing that my group does that can skew things a bit is that we sometimes will bribe players to open other players' bags. (i.e. "Hey Sheriff, I'll pay you 4 coins to open Jessie's bag right now.") What this does for us is, players may be more likely to open the bags and risk losing 6-8 coins if they know that they are doing it at a discounted price. I guess this doesn't mean as much with your group if they do not like to bluff, but you can change their views by smuggling regularly. Eventually, they will have to do the same in order to keep up with the points that you are going to have from it. (Yes, you are less likely to get King bonuses, but you can outscore King bonuses with the right amount of contraband.)

I don't know if any of this will help you, but I hope you at least give it a shot for one game and see if it shakes things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group loves bribing because we always want to see when someone gets royally hosed.

We've basically made it a minigame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxbear60 wrote:
My friends have developed a trend of doing seemingly bizarre things just for the fun of it, like bidding wars for who's bag gets to stay closed!

I like this. A big bribe to let me be the only one not to be inspected. Then just to keep things interesting, have it be a legal bag every once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the group having fun?

Seems like this would make the game completely luck driven - based on which cards you draw

Jimmydm90 wrote:
We've played six times and enjoy the game but the group i play with plays honest about 95% of the time and even when they have contraband they don't bribe. There's very little bluffing, bribing, scoundrel... ing which is sort of the heart of the game.

There's really no incentive for them to play the game the way it's supposed to be played. No one offers money or goods in exchange for not opening bags. It's basically just going through the motions. "What's in here?" "3 chickens." "Would you pay me anything not to open this?" "Nope." "Ok. I guess i'll just open it..." (Clock ticking down. Sheriff decides it's not worth it. Tosses the bag back to the player.)

I feel like we're not getting the full experience but I can't think of anyway to fix the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
Is the group having fun?

Seems like this would make the game completely luck driven - based on which cards you draw

This is what gets me... no lies = no game.

If it can be shown that bribing will always lose to someone who only declares legal goods and wins because of the king and queen bonuses, then the game has a severe problem.

At the very least, it would require halving those bonuses or some such.

But I struggle to see how that's the case...

It's not about lying all the time.

It's about lying one or two times really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably start offering money to the Sheriff to open other players' bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like other said. Just keep sneaking in contraband. And offer to pay to open other bags. I guess we are a bit aggressive when we play but we are offering bribes even before they above a Chance to think if they want to open it. It's kind of a silly game just makes it even more silly. Half the time I'm brining people to open mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
MrMT wrote:
esswhy wrote:
Is the group having fun?

This is what gets me... no lies = no game.

If it can be shown that bribing will always lose to someone who only declares legal goods and wins because of the king and queen bonuses, then the game has a severe problem.

At the very least, it would require halving those bonuses or some such.

But I struggle to see how that's the case...

It's not about lying all the time.

It's about lying one or two times really well.

In my group of three, honest players always won all the time. In one game I smuggled in like ten or more contraband items and lost by a huge marging because I wasn't king or queen of anything. So I fail to see why any player would try to smuggle in contraband and/or bribe the sheriff (costing them even more points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.