SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This was Friday night. Sunday morning now. I've switched hotels now to the one I stayed at before (I couldn't get the full run of nights I wanted).

So now it's Sunday morning. I got my TGM catalogue, I played games with Mandy yesterday, still very jet-lagged. Off to play more games today in Akihabara at an event called ana-game-lab for circles who couldn't get a table in the TGM lottery.

Food situation: good. Thanks to Goran's tips, I'm eating better but it's still the thing I need help on. I didn't do enough learning before coming out.

Curiously unexcited this time. I'm in the same location, so everything is familiar. But also I'm deliberately not running around like a headless chicken this time. I did most everything I aimed for last time, so I'm much more relaxed about stuff. Still thrilled to be here of course.

Weather: lousy. Rained yesterday, leaden skies, raining this morning but it will clear.

And I brought lighter shoes and gel insoles this time so I should be less foot sore.

I plan to have a day trip to Yokohama City this time, no Mt Fuji. And I missed doing Ikebukuro properly. Otherwise, I'm haunting the same areas.

Cheerio for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
また!:)

たくさんのしゃしんをとってください。
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: konbanwawawaaa
Hey! Get someone to make up a Japanese-characters "PWN!"-sign and hold this UP in some 'pic' for wherever you're "at"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david fillis
England
Southport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jon,

terrific to see a pic of you in Japan and to know that you're having a great time.

Enjoy to the max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooooooooo jealous!!!

Enjoy your trip!!

And please try to buy that feather duster already!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday morning. Slept very well. Bedding down now. Had a light BBQ grill dinner with Kirin which I did like. Broke a tooth. Well, plastic filling broke off, not a serious problem right now.

Uploading photos is harder this time. They have changed the PCs and I cannot upload so fast.

Went into a supemarket for my tonic water, they had a big range of mushrooms, about ten types, and an amazing array of fish!

Sunday morning after the rain showers

Went to a game event in Akihabara eun by Asobi Dept. Bought same.

This is a cup monster that lives in a river. It's head is a dish and if the dish dries out, it dies. In the game, players dip straws into water, lift it onto the dish head. The player that makes it flood over looses. Very funny push your luck.

Small temple near my hotel. I managed to forget to go in every day last year.

Asakusa Dori

Moon over Ginza. JP men have short arms!!!! Couldn't find anything in Uniqlo that fitted.

The revamped Itoya, just gorgeous inside. One hall of fine paper, exquisite. No photos allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, have a WONDERFUL time! I'm glad you are taking things leisurely, you'll make a lot of good memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Tokyo, but my friend always tells me to go to the Robot Cafe. It is supposed to be pretty crazy there. I'd imagine it is Akihabra somewhere.

Also if you head to Osaka then let me know. I know a couple nice places to go there. Osaka is my 2nd home. Last trip I honestly had a thought for a second, as I pulled into the Shin-Osaka station from seeing Tokyo, "I'm finally home".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david fillis
England
Southport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the pics, keep them coming.

Those games look interesting, you've started the game acquisition process with some good uns by the look of things.

I hope the trip gets better and better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octopus has gone up in price since I lived over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel C
Canada
flag msg tools
Is there a stronger word for JEALOUS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Ah, the legendary Fukdifino tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday night. Things are mixed. Taking a lot fewer photos with my camera but tweeting more than last time. I walking the same ground so there's less I've not photographed already. Still can't get this phone to work, or get wifi to work. crapcrapcrap. The whole point of buying a new phone was to get it to work here it fucking won't.

Monday I went down to the tourist office at Marunouchi, very very helpful, got my Yokohama trip worked out and Mt Takao. Weather was nice and I managed to but a Bento box for lunch. The woman at the counter reached into her drawer and whipped out a short note in English. Pull the yellow string!

Went out to the palace gardens. Closed Mondays. grumble grumble. Don't sit on the grass. grumble grumble. Finally found a place, pulled the yellow string, it heated up. Lovely beef on rice. Went to Shinjuku, as there was a Matsuri there for two days. Compass working wonderfully. Found Tokyu Hands, got my 5% tourist discount, looked for gifts. Found earspoons!!!

Asked staff if they have more things unique to JP like earspoons. They didn't understand the questions. Then another customer helped out and explained the question. Aaaah, well they said, we don't know what you can get in the the UK so we can't say. Fair enough. So I talked to the woman who helped me and she offered to help me find more things. Her name is Miki, she was born in Japan but was now living in Australia. We went upstairs and she showed me how to get a hanko. While my surname makes a very simple katakana, it's too unusual to be in the cheap racks. So I'd only get one if it was carved. But TH do it for 3 quid in 30 minutes! So she arranged all that and we went shopping while they carved it. We had a lovely time, she was able to explain a lot of things to me, we tried various gadgets and foot massagers. I told her about the Matsuri and she wanted to go. So she phoned her parents and blew them off and off we went.

On the way, we passed a small kimono shop. Tiny shop. We went in and she spent ages translating my questions to the shopkeeper. He was wonderful too, explained things, showed me the men's kimonos (I didn't know men wore them). Just amazing. One of the embroidered belts was Y158000, about 1k.

So then we went to the Matsuri and she was thrilled. She wanted to see one and hadn't managed before. And lo, it was the same one I went to last year! So we ate the food, I tried the chopsticks and just managed. She explained that the big lantern display was all adverts from local firms! And the displays that they chucked away were last years blessings and the temple would burn them.

And as we walked past one of the drinking den, some burly men in suits lamped off sharpish. She turns to me and says, those men running there are Yakuza. And these blokes lined up on the wall are Yakuza, their boss is in there drinking. Big bruisers in suits lined up, hands crossed. Kray twins all of them. Bloody hell. I did not take a photo. I did drink hot Sake.

We had a whale of a time, and then Miki had to go. Some stranger steps out to help me and I make a wonderful new friend and I'll likely never see her again. I have my hanko and memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david fillis
England
Southport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic memories for you Jon, and there's more still to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No time to upload photos.

Having trouble with wifi and I really should calm down.

Having trouble with the weather too. Got in heavy rain with my canvas shoes on. So next day I have to wear my boots and of course it's gloriously hot.

Otherwise, miraculous break through as old man eats with chopsticks. I'm actually managing to use them, badly but I don't need my plastic fork now. Getting Bento boxes, or a mixed selection in a food court. Drinking Kirin. Had dinner with game designers and lectured them at length. Spent a day in Ikebukuro yesterday which got better and better. Had lunch at a beautiful temple, well the cemetary was beautiful. Gingko trees in fruit, dropping their fruit it squashes under my boots and the smell is new to me. I got out to the FLW school Jiyugokuen Minosomethingchen, could pay and go in this time. Just fantastic building, all small scale for junior children. Ikebukuro is like Akihabara but for girls! 80% young woman looking for manga and charms and games about broody saturnine break your heart men. Unreal. And Tokyo Hands I found the exact ting I wanted. Apart from a pen with white ink, I got those little swivel things that swivel.

Off to Yokohama today. Gaming tomorrow, TGM Sunday, Monday's a problem as it will be tipping down but the museums are all shut on Monday and Tuesday as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokohama started badly, ended well.

Top tip for when you go to Yokohama. Do not get off at Yokohama, instead get the local Metro train to the end of the line. From there, climb the hill to the fantastic lookout point over the bay. Enjoy the beautiful gardens too. Then walk back to Yokohama station, down hill, through Chinatown, to the quayside and the tall ship at Landmark Tower. Then get the bus or tube back to the station area.

Do not do as I did and walk all the way from the station to the lookout, past the motorways, dealerships and cashncarries for miles, having to climb a steep hill near sunset after walking miles and miles.

Apart from that, Yokohama is quite industrial, spread out, nautical, but does not smell of the sea. I liked it in the end, not in the start.

Plus, I then belaboured the chap that runs boardgamecube, which really is a cube, into considering doing mail order for doujin games. He will think about it, which was a big advance from the original flat no.

Tomorrow I visit Danny Choo's gaff, then gaming, Sunday is TGM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGM was a long day but a rollicking success for me. Saigo, one of my musketeers, was a fantastic help today, translating constantly, and helping push the message about our JP forms. He also pointed out a bunch of games I knew nothing about.

I got to the queue at Big Sight at 9.30am, the show opened at 10, I got into the hall at 10.20am! But it was an even more massive hall than before, so getting around was easier. I got all my reserved games, and many of the extras I had my eye on. I got to meet a lot of the people I've only talked to online. I even got interviewed briefly for a JP podcast. Of coursed I missed some games, but I ticked off all my targets and I'm hoping for real progress.

I carried back only 12.1kg of games, so I was very controlled this time. Technically, one game was 1kg itself, so really it's 11kg + 1khg.

Happy days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Sendai! Come up to Sendai!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm sticking to Tokyo now. The bad weather means I'll skip Mt Takao. I'm exhausted after TGM, so it's a slow morning and a day at museums, National Museum, Edo Tokyo, and then some gaming in Akiba. Tomorrow, mail my parcels home, then Tokyo Tower maybe and Gotanda. Wednesday, not sure.

I'm pretty happy with this trip. Many successes, fewer failures, some getting mightily pissed off with the free wifi not working and the bloody underground being so hard to use. But I've eaten very well this time, I got to all the places I wanted, TGM was a big success. Not much left to tick off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
What? Tokyo's subway is easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Shinbashi Shinbashi SHINBASHI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Yokohama started badly, ended well.

Top tip for when you go to Yokohama. Do not get off at Yokohama, instead get the local Metro train to the end of the line. From there, climb the hill to the fantastic lookout point over the bay. Enjoy the beautiful gardens too. Then walk back to Yokohama station, down hill, through Chinatown, to the quayside and the tall ship at Landmark Tower. Then get the bus or tube back to the station area.

Do not do as I did and walk all the way from the station to the lookout, past the motorways, dealerships and cashncarries for miles, having to climb a steep hill near sunset after walking miles and miles.

Apart from that, Yokohama is quite industrial, spread out, nautical, but does not smell of the sea. I liked it in the end, not in the start.

Plus, I then belaboured the chap that runs boardgamecube, which really is a cube, into considering doing mail order for doujin games. He will think about it, which was a big advance from the original flat no.

Tomorrow I visit Danny Choo's gaff, then gaming, Sunday is TGM.

China Town was my favourite part of Yokohama. Apart from that I never really cared much for it sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I think I'm sticking to Tokyo now.

thumbsdown

Toyko Smokyo.

1. Get on the shinkansen.
2. Tell them you need to go to Osaka.
3. Arrive.
4. Party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I return with a run through of the trip last year.

Firstly, the trip out was much smoother (the trip back was shite but that was my problem).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128542640@N05/shares/sWhuz2

Although I booked through KLM again, because they own/are owned by Air France, my actual flight was Air France. This suited me because I got to fly out of Newcastle in the afternoon, and only stopped at CdG for a few hours. The flight was direct to Haneda which was also good as I landed at the international terminal this time and so got a straight connection to the Metro. In fact, when I walked up to the ticket counter to renew my Pasmo, there was somebody's wallet sat there. Out of sight of the staff, I could have had a nice cash bonus to my holiday but I dutifully handed it over. What goes around, comes around. The only down side was the flight landed in the evening Friday night, so my first day in Tokyo was just getting to the hotel, having dinner and sleeping.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128542640@N05/shares/3Pve02

The other problem was getting a hotel. I wanted to book into the same one as last time, the Oak Hotel, but the first Saturday was all booked out. So I had two nights in the cheapest place nearby (Hotel Tsukuba) and switched on the Sunday. It turned out to throw me a bit, it took me longer to acclimatise. Plus the hotel was for smokers, and the room and doors were tiny, I banged my head going out. Hey ho.

The Saturday went by in a jet-lagged blur. I returned to old haunts and took almost no photos. But I visited Mandy's area to join some gaming. The weather was poor, as it was most days, but there was not much to record. We went to dinner and I got to try some form of soup I cannot recall now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128542640@N05/shares/m014M8

DSC03761 by Jon Power

DSC03768
Newcastle airport.

DSC03771
The loos in CdG.

DSC03773
I love these kind of spaces, a vast vast room, totally outside the norm.

DSC03776
Free wi-fi too if you sign up with someone else's email.

DSC03781

DSC03785

DSC03792
Flying over the frozen Tundra was fascinating. Explains why Russia wants Global Warming to accelerate.

DSC03795
The curious shopping area where we met.

DSC03799
You mix the fixings into the soup as you eat. But the soup got cold very quickly. Odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday is noted above, so here's the gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128542640@N05/shares/u3mUs1

One problem (yes, the problems stood out much more for me this time. Last time I was all goggled eyed and thrilled to be there and basking in sunshine. This time it was raining (not cold though) and I had already seen a lot and could see past the familiar and dwell on the annoyances which also had something to do with my state of mind anyway) one problem was getting my new phone to work there. I had deliberately renewed my phone contract before coming out to get a better phone and the bloody thing was trouble all the way. I couldn't get people to text me (Mandy received my messages on one number but could only reply on another), I couldn't get wifi to pick up properly (I could write an essay on this, absolutely infuriating), so I couldn't get google maps to work (kept crashing because the fucking thing wanted to load up ALL OF MY SAVED MAPS before I could look at the fucking place I was standing and if it wasn't on wifi (I had roaming switched off) it would fail to load up ALL OF MY SAVED MAPS and leave me with a stupid fucking error message and oh fuck fuck fuck).

So yes, just walking around was a problem again. I did bring my compass with me, which did save me many times, but I still had trouble walking to places. Aaaand relaaax.

So yes, Sunday I went to the Ana Game Lab meeting which was ace and someone spent a long time showing me the games. But I was still very tired and forgot to bring my printed bits and much cash and any plastic bags. I just couldn't get over the habit of buying several bottles of drinks in the morning and then carrying them around all day.

Back to my hotel, having switched, went out to Ginza, got very frustrated at UniQlo which had nothing that fitted me. Very disappointing, I really wanted something to take home that I would wear often.

DSC03880

DSC03882

DSC03818

DSC03819

DSC03821
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.