Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So as I am setting up a game, I am trying to figure out how to use these nice wooden goods tokens. During set-up, you place them randomly, and with fewer players, you remove some randomly. This is hard to do with the tokens.

I guess the options are to either use the goods tiles for setup, then swap them out for the wooden tokens after the randomizing has occurred, or just mix all the tokens together (maybe throw them in one of the bags) and blind draw them that way.

Now that I've typed it out, I think that's what I will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered the same things... and yes, will probably do what you suggest. Use the cardboard tiles to remove some randomly and then place them on the board, and the swap them for the wooden tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to save time i go with the bag option. That way im not placing tiles then swapping them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess it depends on how likely it is that someone will cheat and pull out certain tokens by feel.

Using the cardboard for set-up then swapping seems like more work than is worth it.

If you are really worried have a non-player do the drawing.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love the wooden character discs, but only because of the stickers.

Without sticker artwork I find the wooden goods, technology tokens, and citizen pieces to look very out of place and ascetically unpleasing. I won't be using any of those at all.

(Metal coins are great though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Orléans: Deluxe Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried with our first game to use the cardboard for setting up and then swapping for the wooden resources. It was too fiddly and took too long. We're just going to use the cardboard tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the cardboard tokens on the map for setup. When you travel and "take one" you just flip the tile over and grab the wood version of it in the sorted plano next to the game board.

It worked out nicely in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
We used the cardboard tokens on the map for setup. When you travel and "take one" you just flip the tile over and grab the wood version of it in the sorted plano next to the game board.

This is a great idea.

What i did was just dump all the wood into a bag and draw randomly and place on the board, and just dumped the remaining in a pile next to their board location (b/c i was too lazy to neatly separate them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
An app would work a treat for this. Just push a button and it'd tell you all the pieces to put out there for setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:

Good idea - what did you do with the "extra" resources (the ones you get from farming and production buildings) -- did you just put tiles on the main board like the non-deluxe setup?

Thanks,
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They stayed in the Plano as well. Unless I missed a rule the resources aren't really limited but then again I have yet to run out of anything during a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the resources ARE limited, along with Character Tiles and Technology Tiles, as it says on the last page (12) of the rule book. The availability of money is still an open topic, from what I've been reading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game yesterday. I put the cardboard tokens out face down then we all turned them over and replaced them with the wood tokens.

If everyone does it it takes less than a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
They stayed in the Plano as well. Unless I missed a rule the resources aren't really limited but then again I have yet to run out of anything during a game.

? As has been said, they are limited. And remember that you reduce the number of available goods according to the number of players, and if you're playing the Deluxe version there are pieces enough for 5 rather than 4, so some need to be removed even at 3 and 4 players (even though the rulebook only has rules for 2 and 3 players). If none of you are playing a resource production strategy, it probably won't matter, but I can't imagine somebody not grabbing up the resources in a 4-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I leave them in another box at home and use the excellent cardboard ones that match the art and can be randomly drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We didn't have much of a problem with the blind draw. I just grabbed a fistful of wooden goods and dump them on the map. Then I just scooted them to open spaces. If I didn't have enough, I just scooped up some more.

The "blindness" of the draw really isn't that crucial, as all players start in exactly the same way. Even if you "stacked the deck", all players have the same chances to go after those resources.

With all that said, I really wish they'd just made square goods with stickers. The shaped goods seem like a better idea in theory than practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A W
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Abyss GREEN Cover Art
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I just grabbed a fistful of wooden goods and dump them on the map. Then I just scooted them to open spaces.

That's how I'll be doing it as well from the bag.

Nobody is going to try feeling around looking for a specific resource, planning ahead in their mind, which space to specifically place each resource on - one resource at a time.

If they did, it would take a very long time (you'd be able to tell if someone was doing this) and as mentioned above, it's all open information anyways so everyone has the same opportunity at "exploiting" any layout of the resources. What would the purpose or intent of consciously affecting the placement of resources be anyways? It's equal in the end.

Don't feel like it takes any concentration either to just "not pay attention" when reaching in to grab some resources, dropping them onto the board and scattering them to the nearest spots.

I'm just glad that the OCD side of me (of randomizing it more so to speak) isn't bothered by this as I like the look of individualized resources.

Everyone is different of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
spades8 wrote:
I like the look of individualized resources.

Everyone is different of course.

I do and I don't. The cheese, wine and grain are pretty cool. The wool and brocade, not so much. They just look like amorphous blobs. I had to explain them.

The main reason I wish they'd just went with square wooden tiles, though, is for stacking/arrangement. A bit fiddly with the shaped pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brocade? You mean that isn't a pile of high quality dirt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
proclaimed wrote:
Brocade? You mean that isn't a pile of high quality dirt?

High quality CLAY.

Clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll primarily use the counters. If someone insists on keeping the wood tokens in front of their play area, I'll keep them within easy reach for players to swap out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't the good suppose to be hidden? If you place the wooden discs on the board then players would know where the higher xp valued goods are located. Does that make players that the move action more to get silk and wool? No one would take wheat except maybe for the harvest and just to get to other pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
nexus1967 wrote:
Aren't the good suppose to be hidden?

No. There's a variant in the expansion where they are, but not in the base game.

Thanks I misread that in the rules. We have been playing the variant by mistake. It would make players concentrate on the movement more for sure knowing where goods are located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.