Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my hands on a retail edition of the game, and had the chance to play through the first two scenarios. I like the minis, the rules are simple and clear, and best of all it is highly cooperative which I really enjoy.

However, I feel like the game is missing something. It's clearly taking a page out of Zombicide's book. While I tired of Zombicide rather quickly (it gut unbalanced fast), I did enjoy the escalating nature of the threat of the zombies. The ghosts in Ghostbusters don't really do much at all unless you attack them. There's only a 1 in 6 chance on the event die of them moving (depending on scenario I suppose) and possibly interfering with the heroes. In a game that otherwise oozes with theme, this really stands out to me.

It seems like some sort of basic AI similar to the D&D games (Castle Ravenloft, Legend of Drizzt) needs to be in place. Now, granted, I have only played two games of it, but looking through the scenarios to come, it seems like little will change. Am I missing something big here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fred Tortonesi
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
seeing people playing the paper version there is alot of stuff that can happen on dice rolls. in some missions the gates themselves can be bad. so rolling an open gate spawns a ghost while a closed gate could remove a ghost from the game permanately and if there are no ghosts in the ghost world to pull when one is needed heroes lose. the game also forces you to capturr ghosts so almost every turn you will be interacting with them in some way. i enjoyed watching videso of others play and with new scenarios to be put up for download and the custom scenario thing looks like it has staying power. i am sure they will release some kind of expansions for more ghost types too. i am waitng on my ks copy and if you need help let me know. i will be posting videos here once i get my copy and my gaming group together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
alfan727 wrote:
the game also forces you to capturr ghosts so almost every turn you will be interacting with them in some way.

Does it, really? What exactly forces you to capture ghosts, rather than just ignore them and concentrate on closing gates or other scenario objectives? As long as there are plenty of ghosts in the spirit realm, you can move around pretty much at will, and the ghosts are more likely to do nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board can get pretty crowded with ghosts if you ignore them and shoot at gates only. If you miss while shooting at a gate, ghosts pop out.
Then, if the chaos symbol on the event die is rolled and the ghosts start moving around, there's a good chance of being slimed - and probably more than once. Getting slimed is a real pain when you begin the game with only 2 actions.
Without a lot of experience with the game (beyond the first scenario) I'd say that "ghost population control" may not be a requirement, but seems like a part of the game that needs to be managed.

In the first scenario, it starts with a lot of ghosts in the spirit world, and quite a few on the board. But if you're rolling badly the SW can start to empty pretty fast and fill the board with a bunch of annoying ghosties, making line of sight more and more challenging.

Besides, bustin' makes me feel good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Smith
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
Besides, bustin' makes me feel good.

This. hahahaha laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If ghosts need to be placed on the board and there are not any in the Spirit World, you lose, so you kind of can't ignore ghosts since you need to keep the Spirit World stocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mataio Wilson
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Marc,

Thanks for buying the game and supporting our endeavors. Your question is valid and common when first playing through the opening scenarios. The early part of the game holds lessons on game play and later tactical choices. Because of this, we loaded those early scenarios with tons of ghosts. As you progress through the game, you'll see a smaller pool of starting ghosts in the Spirit World that encourages the players to trap ghosts on the map before time runs out. Besides the end goal of closing gates, you'll also see the ghosts placed in spaces that you'll need to get to or through,

TLR
In early scenarios, there are more ghosts in the Spirit World and less on the map, in order to direct attention to the gates and game play lessons.

Thank you,
Mataio Wilson
Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
HiMataio wrote:
Hi Marc,

Thanks for buying the game and supporting our endeavors. Your question is valid and common when first playing through the opening scenarios. The early part of the game holds lessons on game play and later tactical choices. Because of this, we loaded those early scenarios with tons of ghosts. As you progress through the game, you'll see a smaller pool of starting ghosts in the Spirit World that encourages the players to trap ghosts on the map before time runs out. Besides the end goal of closing gates, you'll also see the ghosts placed in spaces that you'll need to get to or through,

TLR
In early scenarios, there are more ghosts in the Spirit World and less on the map, in order to direct attention to the gates and game play lessons.

Thank you,
Mataio Wilson
Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

Quick question for you? I am interested in the game, but like the OP I am concerned about the game being too simple/boring after a short time,with just the base core set. It is a little bit of a put off , that the core game seems incomplete without all the kickstarter exclusives. Don't get me wrong , I like exclusives, but the exclusives in the kickstarter are actual characters from the movie and the comics. If there isn't a way to get the movie/comic book characters later, I feel and maybe others might not want to invest in a half released game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik N.
Germany
flag msg tools
wolvehunde wrote:
Quick question for you? I am interested in the game, but like the OP I am concerned about the game being too simple/boring after a short time,with just the base core set. It is a little bit of a put off , that the core game seems incomplete without all the kickstarter exclusives. Don't get me wrong , I like exclusives, but the exclusives in the kickstarter are actual characters from the movie and the comics. If there isn't a way to get the movie/comic book characters later, I feel and maybe others might not want to invest in a half released game.

That's what I was thinking. It would have made more sense for the company to include them for the backers, but also release them as retail expansions for additional money. That way retail buyers could buy them and play the same game as the Kickstarters, but had to pay more money for the same. Now only some scalpers make money by selling for tripple the price. That's money Crypto will never see!

I bought the retail, but only because I don't know anyone with a credit card and couldn't get into the KS because of that. And I will not pay tripple the price to some scammer. If I did, just the import taxes would cost me more than the price the Kickstarter backers paid, putting the MH alone at over $500 for me! That's just ridiculous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyknight1980 wrote:
wolvehunde wrote:

That's what I was thinking. It would have made more sense for the company to include them for the backers, but also release them as retail expansions for additional money. That way retail buyers could buy them and play the same game as the Kickstarters, but had to pay more money for the same. Now only some scalpers make money by selling for tripple the price. That's money Crypto will never see!

I bought the retail, but only because I don't know anyone with a credit card and couldn't get into the KS because of that. And I will not pay tripple the price to some scammer. If I did, just the import taxes would cost me more than the price the Kickstarter backers paid, putting the MH alone at over $500 for me! That's just ridiculous!

Loadable credit cards, and Debit Visa are your friends when buying from Kickstarter.
I don't have a credit card, and back projects on Kickstarter all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik N.
Germany
flag msg tools
Ghool wrote:
Loadable credit cards, and Debit Visa are your friends when buying from Kickstarter.
I don't have a credit card, and back projects on Kickstarter all the time.

Those aren't really a thing in Germany. Only cards you can get around here are those with a yearly fee and they won't give me one of those. I tried!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? I use a loadable virtual card without any fees and I'm super happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik N.
Germany
flag msg tools
Chrisback79 wrote:
What? I use a loadable virtual card without any fees and I'm super happy with it.

Where did you get that? I searched for weeks and couldn't even find any kind of information about the things much less where to get something like that in Germany!
But now it's too late anyway. Just sucks that nothing of the things will ever make it into retail expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm okay with the enemies not moving too much without being provoked. Too many games I've played (D&D adventure series, Super Dungeon Explore, Gears of War, etc.) have you getting absolutely dog-piled by moving enemies. Seems like a lot of designs have this bias that enemies are supposed to approach and engage you. That in itself is reasonable, but often the map is too low resolution, and the enemy movement too fast, meaning you get buried if you have an unlucky streak with the dice on your attacks for a turn or two.

I kind of like how Arkham horror deals with it: the enemies are a major threat in the long-term, but can often be ignored on the scale of an individual turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:

I kind of like how Arkham horror deals with it: the enemies are a major threat in the long-term, but can often be ignored on the scale of an individual turn.

My thoughts exactly. Ghostbusters & Arkham are very similar in that respect. The gates are, usually, primary while the enemies themselves are secondary. But, ignore them for too long they can cost you the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.