Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
136 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Police Precinct: ONLINE» Forums » General

Subject: Official Information About ----- THE APP ----- (Police Precinct via iOS & Android) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Fan of The Cardboard Version of Police Precinct,

If you are ALSO curious about other more digital versions, we have 3 interesting pieces of news in that area for you:

1. TABLETOPIA:
This is a subject we have discussed a lot in the past (and will continue on into the future). We see this platform as a HUGE part of what we want to do and how we want to do it. It's a journey and a process by which we will be designing, developing, vetting, teaching, and expanding our games. This journey has already begun. For details go here...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1442330/our-thoughts-about-...

To sign up with us go here...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1444417/sign-play-police-pr...

2. T0UCH TABLE:
This is a product/platform made by another Denver Company (meaning that CMG is a Denver Company). Their approach is to use create an amazing ipad that is of epic proportions. So large that it IS a table. We like to call it an iTable. This "iTable" is essentially a flat screen TV with a computer built into the base of the table. The computer's only purpose is to manage the games that you can play on the iTable. I first saw this at a con in Denver in early 2015, when Sean Ramirez (Dukes of Dice), Rachel, myself, and others played several games (Power Grid, etc.). We were all blown away by this. The company's founder wants to do a Co-op and we very excited that we would be honored to be a part of the Touch Table. The end result is...
This should be coming our way!
That said, please join us in crossing your fingers, because it's out of our control and we REALLY want to see this happen.

3. THE APP:
Yep, there's an app coming which will allow you to Police Precinct! That is the main focus of this thread. If anyone is interested in helping out with the testing when it reaches beta, please post in this thread (you can literally say one word word -- "beta" -- and you will be signed up for this).

More info to come (in this thread and assorted other places).

See the next post down for a list of links to learn more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Official Information About ----- THE APP ----- (For Police Precinct on iOS and Android)
LINK LIST:

The following is a list of links for the Police Precinct App...

INITIAL PRESS RELEASE:
(There will likely be many, but here is the first Press Release)
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20935267#20935267
SUMMARY: this press release predicts Feb 2016 as the Release Date and mentions that this will be coming in BOTH iOS and Android, etc

(yes, it is a short list, but we figure that it will grow over time, so Stay Tuned!)

THE STORY:

The following is the story behind the Police Precinct App...

Basically, we (CMG) had a vague idea that making an app for Police Precinct would be a cool thing to do someday. That translates to "it was on our wish list" or "It was on our 5-year to-do list" or "it was part of our strategic plan for building this brand into all it can be", etc. You get the idea.

That was the state of mind we had 12 days ago, just prior to hearing from a Vancouver Company known as A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. digital who contacted us to express that they had narrowed down all of the games in the entire universe of games to ONE. That one game was Police Precinct. They had decided that Police Precinct was the prefect game for them to release as an app. The guys at Acronym are veterans of making games for the mobile world. They were doing it a couple decades ago when iPhones hadn't even been dreamed of. They feel like this app will be something really out of the box and extremely thematic and immersive.

After a series of daily meetings we finally came to an agreement this past Friday.

We (both companies actually) couldn't be more excited!

[Note: The story listed above is meant to be "The Story" at the moment in time where the deal was cut with Acronym to make the App. This is worth mentioning because we (CMG) will leave this as-is so that we-all can reflect back at any time to see how the story looked at that moment, but... The REAL story is not what was happening at a static moment in time, it is an evolving/living/breathing thing. We do intend to tell that story over time via this thread, so stay tuned]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Official Information About ----- THE APP ----- (For Police Precinct on iOS and Android)
THE APP's CAPABILITIES:

The following is the scoop on what the Police Precinct App will be able to do...

We see it being able to do 4 distinct things under two umbrellas.

Now, before we get into all that, let's touch on one of the REALLY cool things that we see coming your way with this App, which is the ability for adjusting difficulty easily and individually for each game played!

ADJUSTING DIFFICULTY

We are picturing this...

You get the App and immediately start playin' (and you're very excited and happy, much like a kid on Christmas mornin')!
That game and every game session you do can be set-up from a list of pre-set difficulty levels:

Rookie
Patrol Officer
Sergeant
Lieutenant
Captain
Chief

there is also a 7th Level that let's you "do it your way", it's called...

Custom

Once you select the level, the App will automatically set-up the game and you can get right to playin'!

Having all these options is really nice, it enables you to play one game with your hard core group (at say the Chief level), while simultaneously playing another with your family (at say the Sergeant level), and a 3rd with your 6-year old son (at say the Rookie level), and having all of these games be exciting down-to-the-wire nail biters.

Wait, one more thing before we get to those umbrellas. Let's also discuss...

SAVING GAMES

Don't have time to finish a game? Not a problem! Save it and finish later!!!

in fact, you can save as many games as you want!

blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank

Ok, let's get back to our 4 ways to play utilizing the two main umbrellas!

THE TWO UMBRELLAS

Here's the first umbrella...

PASS AND PLAY MODE:

Once you have the App, there will be two ways to play it in this mode. Before we look too closely at that, let's first discuss what this mode is. Acronym calls it "Off-Line" and we (CMG) semi-jokingly call it "Camping" mode. We call it that to draw attention to the idea that it can be used in an environment where there is NO cell or WiFi service whatsoever (like might be common if you were camping in a remote area). All you need is your iPad (or other device) and you're ready to play all day (well, till you run your battery out!). In the end, we (Acronym and CMG) agreed to call this Pass and Play (seems like a better choice than "camping mode" don't ya think!?!). laugh

Here's the two ways to play in this mode...

1. SOLO STYLE -- (against the app -- just as if you had the cardboard game) -- Play anywhere any time! And, if you don't finish, you can save the game and come back to it any time!

2. GAME NIGHT STYLE -- Play multi-player, in-person, live-play (just like you would at a game night with the cardboard game -- meaning, a group of players all in same location)
When you do this, it could be done with the group sitting around a table with the Pad in the middle of the table.
- OR -
In a more casual party-like environment, you can simply pass the iPad around the room (or campfire as it might be).

Here's the second umbrella...

ONLINE MODE:

When we play a game in "Online Mode" we're able to play with ANYONE (who has the app) ANYWHERE in the world. Acronym Digital (the app development company) claims that Police Precinct will be the first and ONLY Co-op board game that can do this (we have seen no evidence to the contrary), which makes this a VERY exciting feature of the game. This feature has enabled me to play with Ole (the game's designer), which has never been possible before (except via Tabletopia, but you can't play asynchronously with Tabletopia).

This mode would have two distinct qualities:

A. Chat feature (ability to type messages to teammates)

B. Trusted Support (which means that as you take your turn, your teammates trust your judgment and would allow you to select the Police Cards that you feel you need to handle your action). This approach is necessary for the style of play we are calling "Asynchronous" (see below for details). That said, it will be used in all of the other multi-player styles (including solo play, which is in-effect a multi-player game). The idea is that if you are playing with a group in real-time (all together simultaneously) then it would be considered courteous to treat your teammates in the same manner as you would when playing the cardboard version. Meaning, you would ask if you could get some assistance (Police Cards) from them, and they would agree (or disagree) with this idea. If they agree, take the card (if they don't it's courteous to NOT take it). Thus, it's very similar to playing the cardboard version, in that -- nothing can physically stop you from grabbing a card and taking it, but please don't.

STARTING A GAME:
A game of this nature would be started by an individual player who would select how many players would be in the game AND how difficult the game would be. Then they would invite their friends from to join. Once all the players accepted, the game could begin.

BUILDING YOUR COMMUNITY OF PLAYERS:
To help build a community of buddies to play with, players could post (on BGG for example) that they are seeking players and the game's creator could post the "Invitation Code". Upon seeing this invitation, a "new player" could join in on that groups game. Then after playing with that person (assuming they weren't a jerk) the creator of the game (or anyone else in the game) could invite that player into a new game they create. This is one approach to building a nice community of active players all over the world.

Here's the two ways to play in this mode...

3. REAL-TIME PLAY -- Play multi-player, remote, live-play (much like what Tabletopia can do)

4. ASYNCHRONOUS PLAY -- Play multi-player, remote, delayed-play (much like GTO -- Game Table Online -- actually they had a number of ways to play any given game, but I'm thinking of how I used to play with their platform which enabled me to take a turn whenever I wanted. Then, after I took my turn, I would go take a turn in another game (I could be playing 15+ games at once). After I'm done with my turn, the next player would take their turn any time they felt like it (minutes, hours, or even days later). So any time you want, you can hop on the App and take 1 or many turns in 1 or many different games.

And...

When you load one of these games, you will be able to see what happened in your absence (while your teammates took their turns).

NEW FEATURE!

The following is something we had NOT expected to be able to do, but is very easy and happens automatically...
You can go back and forth between Real Time and Asynchronous play!
What!?!
YES, for example, you can start a game and play a few turns in an asynchronous manner, then you and your buddy(s) can play part of the game in Real Time, and then finish-out the game in asynchronous manner.
So, that is just an example, but the point is that you can vary this up in any way you want, and as many times during a game as you want. We are very excited about this feature!

blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank

EASE OF LEARNING

The app will be an easy way to learn to play the game. In this regard, it will be much different than receiving the cardboard version and trying to learn the game. This is not to say that Police Precinct is a hard game to figure out. Let's call it "average difficulty" for a board game. Since it has a very nice rulebook, let's say that it's easier than average to learn, BUT...

The app will be EXTREMELY easy to learn!

In fact, you will NOT need to read a rulebook at all.

You WILL be able to download and play immediately.

EASE OF PLAY

Similar to the "learning" discussed above, playing the game will be easy too. This is part of why you can jump right in and play. Rookies (those who have never played the cardboard version) will love this, but so will veterans of the game. One of the aspects that the app handles is setting up the game (of course), AND during the game it will do little things that make your life easier, like making sure that you don't forget to place extra Punk Tokens when an Emergency requires this (etc.).

FINE PRINT REGARDING POST'S EDIT DATE:
1. This post is a living post, and evolves as new information arrives.
2. There is a record of the original post for historical purposes (to find it search CMG's Gmail for "P5420").
3. The expected abilities of the app are at and even slightly beyond what was anticipated initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly be interested in helping with the beta of Police Precinct for ios...my son and I enjoy playing it together...as long as it will run on an ipad2 anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE OPERATING SYSTEMS & STORES:

The following is what sort of devices you'll be able to play it on...

DEVICES:

1. iPhone!

2. iPad!

3. Android Smart phone!

4. Android Pad!

5. Kindle Fire (via the Google Play store)

The following is where we expect that you'll be able to buy it...

STORES:

1. Apple's -- App Store

2. Google's -- Google Play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE REST OF THE PLAN:

The following is the plan for this app...

by "Plan" we mean:

Initial download price, and...

Will it include possible IAPs (in-app-purchases)!

How will it tie in with other things that are going on with Police! Precinct!

Etc!

Etc!

Our wheels are turning big time! Thus you can expect to be hearing more info about this topic over time.

For the rest...

Stay Tuned!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are calling it an app "for Police Precinct", does that mean it's some kind of companion app to use with the actual board game, or will it be a full digital version of the game itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
I would certainly be interested in helping with the beta of Police Precinct for ios...my son and I enjoy playing it together...as long as it will run on an ipad2 anyway

great!

Done!!!

And...

Dienes wrote:
Since you are calling it an app "for Police Precinct", does that mean it's some kind of companion app to use with the actual board game, or will it be a full digital version of the game itself?

The later!

And...

Good question / point!

Now that you make me think more about this, I guess it would most correctly stated as...

An App version of Police Precinct!

Knowing this...

1. In the initial post of this thread I rephrased it to... "there's an app coming which will allow you to Police Precinct!"

2. Furthermore I would rephrase the thread's title, but I do not think that is possible at this point.

3. I will try to be consistent along these lines as I talk about it in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Brunelle
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to participate in the beta!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bingo!

You're in Christina!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
2. Furthermore I would rephrase the thread's title, but I do not think that is possible at this point.

You can change the thread title by clicking on 'edit' in the OP.

Edit: I'll help beta the Android app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:

You can change the thread title by clicking on 'edit' in the OP.

Edit: I'll help beta the Android app

Nice!

And...

Done!!!

(meaning fixed)

Ya learn somethin' new every day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw - I added the app to the official timetable for Police Precinct...

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17054807#17054807

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ab Normal
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to beta test the app, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

bravo echo tango alpha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

Thanks to you both!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play Police Precinct. I've got to wait until Snitch is released to play the cardboard version of PP, so playing it on the iPad in the interim would be great. Where do I sign up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can test the iOS and Mac OS X versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brennan
United States
Groveland
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
martimer wrote:

Another volunteer to beta both iOS and Mac versions. Excited at the prospect of trying it out on an iPad Pro.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Espinosa
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never really been a board game app person, but I am a big fan of this game and would love to offer my help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to beta the app too, Karl.
Android or Mac OSX

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
I'd love to play Police Precinct. I've got to wait until Snitch is released to play the cardboard version of PP, so playing it on the iPad in the interim would be great. Where do I sign up?

Hey Jenks!

Consider yourself signed up!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

Thanks Martin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Brennan wrote:
martimer wrote:

Another volunteer to beta both iOS and Mac versions. Excited at the prospect of trying it out on an iPad Pro.

Kevin

Appreciate it Kevin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
I have never really been a board game app person, but I am a big fan of this game and would love to offer my help.

Sweet!

Thanks Steve!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.