Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to be getting this game shortly, unfortunately missed the KS. My question is are there ways to get rerolls aside from the 2 cost building available at the beginning of the game?

If not has anyone implemented anything so that more than one person gets to reroll in the game?

Ex: everyone gets one reroll, meaning that building would only add one additional.

Or pay 1 gold for X rerolls?

Maybe rerolls aren't that powerful. Thoughts on it would be good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are at least 2 re-roll buildings amongst the key buildings, and more still available in the outposts. I'm not sure quite how many that adds up to but it's a very rare game when I've not ended up with at least 1 re-roll capability, and often more, so I've not felt any need to fiddle with this.

One of the tools, (which is a Kickstarter feature) gives you plus one to a dice roll, which also helps a lot to mitigate bad rolls.

Generally re-rolls aren't super essential, as you can always exhaust one of the villagers to get you an extra success. However they are nice, so I do always try to pick up at least one re-roll building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
TopherMel wrote:
My question is are there ways to get rerolls aside from the 2 cost building available at the beginning of the game?

From amongst nine Key cards four are selected at random to be included each game. Five of the possible Key cards do include a reroll ability. Three of those cost two coin, one cost four, the other five. There is no guaranty that any of the reroll Key cards will be selected for any given game, but it more likely that at least two will be in a game than only one or less.

entwife wrote:
There are at least 2 re-roll buildings amongst the key buildings, and more still available in the outposts.

Christopher, cards from the Outpost deck can be built after a player has successfully explored. One of these cards also has a reroll ability. All Outpost cards are used each game, but they are in a shuffled deck. This card in particular costs eight coin. There is a mechanism available that allows players to slowly "sift" through the Outpost deck a bit, which could be used to increase the odds that that one Outpost becomes available.

TopherMel wrote:
Maybe rerolls aren't that powerful. Thoughts on it would be good as well.

entwife wrote:
Generally re-rolls aren't super essential, as you can always exhaust one of the villagers to get you an extra success. However they are nice, so I do always try to pick up at least one re-roll building.

Agreed. The ability to exert a villager (a basic mechanism of the game) is in my little experience much more useful than a reroll. Though as Kim has said, the rerolls are nice.

entwife wrote:
One of the tools, (which is a Kickstarter feature) gives you plus one to a dice roll, which also helps a lot to mitigate bad rolls.

I haven't tried most of the Expanded Edition stuff out yet, but my impression is that these will also likely be more useful than rerolls. Christopher, two out of six of the tools have this ability. The first player to successfully explore each round, receives a random tool.

There are Key cards that so far seem to have much more useful abilities than rerolls. In my opinion the potion-as-income, and the two train-to-ready abilities are amongst the best. There are other Key cards abilities that seem at least as good as a reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanldoughty wrote:
[...There are Key cards that so far seem to have much more useful abilities than rerolls. In my opinion the potion-as-income, and the two train-to-ready abilities are amongst the best. There are other Key cards abilities that seem at least as good as a reroll.

We found the train-to-ready cards way too powerful. We played last night and one of us got that turn one, and wow, what an amazing card. We're probably going to leave those 2 buildings out of the key deck in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The train to ready is quite powerful, I just remove the *14 star building that gives victory points for villagers when that's in the game. Now there's less incentive to draft 10 villagers and not care whether or not you have beds for them to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris0zz wrote:
The train to ready is quite powerful, I just remove the *14 star building that gives victory points for villagers when that's in the game. Now there's less incentive to draft 10 villagers and not care whether or not you have beds for them to sleep.

Good solution. That was the problem we had with the card. Not only did you not care about beds, but getting that 2 VP per villager card is basically an insta-win.

So either solution works, remove the star card or both key cards should keep the game fair. I prefer removing the key cards since the player that has it is kind of locked into one strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses!

While I won't have the tools with the generic version it does sound like there are other rerolls available. Just watched Radhos video and he made it sound like there was only the one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
Thanks for the responses!

While I won't have the tools with the generic version it does sound like there are other rerolls available. Just watched Radhos video and he made it sound like there was only the one...

Which there was, at the time he made that video. Then things changed, I think in part because of his comments. Take careful note, though, that he doesn't say that the game is unbalanced because of it - only that getting to roll more is more fun. I'm not sure that I agree with him on that one, though - having rerolls hasn't made a hell of a lot of difference in our games so far. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I couldn't give a rat's lick about rerolls, if anything they give me confidence to recruit riskier villagers.

Don't worry, the retail edition is fine. Only thing you're missing out on is maybe the 7 extra villagers. I don't use the other expansions, the wooden goods I'll feed to my dog and post it on YouTube to spite those completionist that didn't back it. The stories won't get overused unless you play religiously. You got a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Glimme
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have seen this ready villager strategy and it is strong but it is not an insta-win. you can continue to pay approx 3 coins for 2 points at the end of the game with the star building, but unless you heavily invest in beds all you are doing is buying points at a rate of about 3 for 2. This rate can roughly be matched by buying the big buildings or the cave buildings with points on them. Usually the game is short enough to keep this strategy under control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarel wrote:
I have seen this ready villager strategy and it is strong but it is not an insta-win. you can continue to pay approx 3 coins for 2 points at the end of the game with the star building, but unless you heavily invest in beds all you are doing is buying points at a rate of about 3 for 2. This rate can roughly be matched by buying the big buildings or the cave buildings with points on them. Usually the game is short enough to keep this strategy under control.

Good point, the game being only 7 rounds is hard to do anything too devastating. And this was our first game. We were all trying different things and so none of us really were sure of a good strategy yet. And one of us could of bought that 2 VP building which would of changed the point spread some.

So probably not a sure fire win, as long as everyone is paying attention. And the player doing that also had a lot of points in goods which helped.

And also, wanted to mention, I think this is Ryan's best game so far. I've played almost all his games and this is my current favorite. The storybook just adds so much theme and fun. Without it, the worker/building mechanics are fun but the stories is what really makes this game entertaining. I'm really looking forward to the KS exclusive paragraph books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.