Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dow [+] [View All]
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Kudos to Days of Wonder. I have a sizable collection of their games and they are pretty consistantly some of my favorites. My mother recently fell in love with the pc version of Ticket to Ride. Since I run a strictly Linux house, I was worried about it working. She was willing to risk the $20 to try it. When it didn't work, I emailed DoW and explained that we had purchased the game understanding that it may not work and asked it there was any unofficial Linux package that we might be able to use. I told my mother at the time that if we were to receive a positive response, it would confirm my love and appreciation for DoW. Sure enough, they responded positively. We are now happily running TTR on Linux. It is unofficial and they expressly forbid me from distributing it, which I won't so don't ask. I can understand their reluctance to package and support a Linux product. I hope that changes at some point. For now, I am just grateful that they were willing to share their unofficial package to make a few of their loyal customers happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:
We are now happily running TTR on Linux. It is unofficial and they expressly forbid me from distributing it, which I won't so don't ask. I can understand their reluctance to package and support a Linux product. I hope that changes at some point. For now, I am just grateful that they were willing to share their unofficial package to make a few of their loyal customers happy.

why would they NOT make it available ? DOW has some really strange business practices that i will never understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
why would they NOT make it available ? DOW has some really strange business practices that i will never understand.

By strange, do you mean admirable?

DoW is a great games company, I have always had a positive experience with their games and service. They have business integrity, a rarity for any company these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
jeremycobert wrote:

They would not release it if they were concerned about creating a support problem that that was more expensive than the projected income from selling the product. I am certainly not advocating this point of view, just answering your question. I believe that the Linux market is viable to support. They did not have to let me have the unofficial release. I am glad that they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.