Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an awesome week and am still getting over the initial surprise at being asked. Thank you so much, Adam, for nominating me and recognizing my wonderful relationships with my daughters! Being the traditional family man is what I am at heart and games can so naturally enhance that.

When I started to think about who I would nominate as the next geek of the week the first thing that came to mind was that I wanted to nominate someone that has always shown himself/herself to be extra friendly and pleasant in their dealings here. Several came to mind without much effort. This is, after all a wonderful site filled with wonderful people. I also wanted a geek that has been present here for at least 5 years.

Jason, without doubt fits those criteria. Anytime I have bumped into him here he has shown himself to be kind, friendly, non-condescending and overall pleasant. I have also loved the fact that he has played games with his brother and his mother whenever he could and placed high value in this. Furthermore, I noticed that we share interest in many of the same games. Even the “Clue” over his avatar reveals that.

Here is Jason’s own words:

DancerInDC wrote:
Thank you so much, Jon, for nominating me as Geek of the Week. It’s an incredible honor to be asked. BGG is like a second home to me.

I definitely grew up playing games – they were always a part of my life. We were mainly a card-playing family – Euchre, Spite & Malice, variants of Canasta. But we also played some of the typical fare from Parker Bros. and Milton-Bradley – everything from Clue to Payday. I actually remember liking games so much that if there was a rainy day and I was alone, I would just try to play against myself. Which is kind of hard in a face-off challenge like Power Barons…

My college years meant playing cards A LOT. Euchre was a rite of passage at my university, and as an R.A. there were many late nights playing Hearts, Spades, Spoons, or games with odd names like Egyptian Rat Screw.

But I was never really a game collector until my late 20s, and it all started when my brother (Blott here on BGG) gave me a copy of Puerto Rico as a gift. He thought it looked interesting. Suddenly my eyes were opened up to a whole new world. What are these “victory points” of which you speak? I picked up Ticket to Ride on a whim at a local shop and from there I fell down the rabbit hole.

From there, gaming became one of the primary activities for my now-husband, our friends, and me. I kept collecting games and it really got bad when we moved into our own home 8 years ago. Now that collection sits at over 200 games plus an embarrassing number of expansions. I do try to sell some games each year, but then just get more. My only solution to the addiction so far? Get an extra bookshelf for overflow from the closet…

As mentioned above, I mostly play games with several groups of friends and my better half. At least once a year I get home for a massive gaming weekend with my brother and our family. Being able to play games with my brother and my parents is a unique gift and I don’t take it for granted. Here’s photographic evidence – me and Mom playing Hollywood Blockbuster!

I like a pretty good variety of games, but I tend to favor Euros that play in 90 min. or less, and a good card game. That’s more a factor of our lives now – the deep heavy games are just hard to find time for. (But believe me – I’m up for a run at Arkham Horror or BSG if I can – just ask!)

As a parting thought, I’m just grateful that board games have had such a lasting impact on my life. There are a lot of solitary hobbies I could have or far more dangerous vices. Luckily I’m hooked on an activity that brings me closer to my friends and family, and only really hurts my bank account.

Poll: Jason’s Two Truths & A Lie
Which is the lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I unintentionally ran into an old college roommate twice in one month in two different European countries.
14.4% 20
I own and have read all 80 books that Agatha Christie wrote.
44.6% 62
I once trained to be a trapeze artist, but an injury ended that dream after only a month.
41.0% 57
Voters 139
This poll is now closed.   139 answers
Poll created by jayboy
Closes: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:00 am

Now some questions from me:

Shortly after I first met you here I found out you and Ben (Blott) were brothers. You now live almost 600 miles apart.

1. How did you and Ben end up so far apart? Where was home originally? Were you close growing up? Are you close in age? How often do you see each other and how often do you play games together?
2.Where do your parents live? How often do you play games with your mom? dad?
3. What is your work?
4. Do you ever come to Canada?
5. Have you ever been out west?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Geek of the Week #538 - Jason Lott (DancerInDC)
Congratulations Jason!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?

And the unusual question: Based on your current daily actions and routines where would you expect to be in five years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jason. Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason hadn't been GotW already? Wow! Congratulations Jason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jason! Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Jason! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jason, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good choice.

Enjoy your time as GoTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jason!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

We haven't chatted in a while but I always loved your feedback on the podcast. You, and your brother, are always friends of On Board Games and Don and I specifically.

Basically, I'm saying you rock. \m/ \m/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jason! On to some more questions for you;

1db What is the funniest experience you've had playing Battlestar Galactica?
2 If you could have any living person attend your home for an evening for dinner and one boardgame of your choice; who are they, what's for dinner and which game?
3 Do you play any solo games?
d10-4 If you could have an official expansion developed and published for a game that you enjoy which game would it be for and what would be some things you would like it to include?
5vp If you could pick one game from my own collection to play, which game and why?

Enjoy your week and look forward to your responses! Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayboy wrote:
Now some questions from me:

Shortly after I first met you here I found out you and Ben (Blott) were brothers. You now live almost 600 miles apart.

1. How did you and Ben end up so far apart? Where was home originally? Were you close growing up? Are you close in age? How often do you see each other and how often do you play games together?
2.Where do your parents live? How often do you play games with your mom? dad?
3. What is your work?
4. Do you ever come to Canada?
5. Have you ever been out west?

Thanks again for the nomination, Jon - you're too kind! It's a wonderful honor.

1. Grad school brought me to the Washington DC area, and I've just settled in here. Ben and I grew up in Lansing, Michigan. We always shared similar interests, so we got along well and would often play with each others' friends. We're about 3 /12 years apart. We see each other at once or twice a year - whenever I can sneak away for a good long weekend.

2. My parents still live in Lansing, and Ben lives in a nearby town. As mentioned above I aim to get to play games with Mom & Dad when I'm also playing with Ben!

3. I an a fundraiser for a national nonprofit organization based here in DC. I specifically work in direct marketing and monthly giving.

4. It's been a long time - over 15 years. As a family we traveled to and through Canada several times, but my main interaction was the 2 years I lived in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan - where I could literally see Canada from my room! During that time the Canadian side was where we did most of our shopping and other activities. I'm guessing the border crossing isn't so simple anymore!

5. I have been out West a number of times, mostly for work - everywhere from San Francisco down to San Diego. Portland, Oregon was a particular favorite. I'd love some day to see Vancouver, Alaska, and Hawaii.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Jason!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?

And the unusual question: Based on your current daily actions and routines where would you expect to be in five years?

Thanks very much, Doug!

My favorite wizard would have to be from the Harry Potter books - Minerva McGonagall was always the best in my book. How can you not love an animagus? I assume she features in some licensed Potter games but I've not played them.

To your other question - I don't expect my life will be dramatically different, but perhaps I'll be at a different job? There are a lot of great nonprofit causes here in DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Congratulations Jason. Have a great week! :)

Thank you, Jakob - I think it will be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Jason hadn't been GotW already? Wow! Congratulations Jason!

It's true, Martin! And now I'm certainly in some amazing company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Yay Jason! kiss

Thank you, my friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
Congrats Jason! Have a great week!

Thank you, Jarek - I will!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
Congratulations, Jason, enjoy your week!

Thank you very much, Nicola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
Very good choice.

Enjoy your time as GoTW.

Thanks for the kind words, Murray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Jason congratulations, I hope you have a great week.

Nice to see one of my geek buddies pick another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
Congratulations, Jason!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?

Thanks, Jerry!

Once? The first thing that jumps to mind is Dominant Species. It was a long game that left a real impression on me. I'd love to play it again but just haven't had the chance (and I don't own it).

Twice - I did a quick scan of my ratings and what popped up was World Without End. I do own this one but I know I enjoyed it. It's a rather punishing game so it's not for everyone.

Thrice - Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases - an excellent deduction game! I feel like I want to dole out the mysteries slowly since the replay value isn't high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulationsblankjason

thumbsupcoolthumbsup

Question: what is it about Ra: The Dice Game that you prefer to Ra?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
Jason,

We haven't chatted in a while but I always loved your feedback on the podcast. You, and your brother, are always friends of On Board Games and Don and I specifically.

Basically, I'm saying you rock. \m/ \m/

Why thanks, Erik! I do hope we'll be able to sit across each other at a game table some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
COngrats!

Finally!

So, why don't you ever travel to Florida for great gaming?

Have you tried Castles of Mad King Ludwig?

Oh and Yucata or boardgamearena?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.