Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
The short blurb for this game says it has "2 scenarios"
How does this affect the replayability of the game? With only 2 scenarios is it truly a fun and different experience every time?

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:
The short blurb for this game says it has "2 scenarios"
How does this affect the replayability of the game? With only 2 scenarios is it truly a fun and different experience every time?

Josh

To be clear there are three possible starts to the game: 1805, 1809 or 1813. The latter two being the two scenarios you mention, but in all cases the game then unfolds until sudden death victory or 1815. The replayability comes from the fact that there are many different ways to go about winning and most of the play is implemented through cards that are randomly drawn from a deck. While I made a clear attempt at preventing totally ahistorical situations, I also tried to avoid straightjacketing the flow of the game and thus no game is like another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two scenario's are - in my modest opinion - not really scenario's, but short versions of the same great game, although the starting point reflects the actual situation in Europe at the time the game begins.

Every game is different and exiting, because the cards give you a (controlled, so that the historic feel stays all the time) randomness and enough choices, that obviously depend on the situation, to make every single time you play the game. This game is absolutely replayable and one of my all-time favorites.

I am glad that Renaud has not made too strictly (though historic) guidelines or restrictions because I like a 'what-if' game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have played this over sixty times by now and still enjoy each game.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.