6 Posts

Texas Glory: 1835-36» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cannonade /Seige rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Chirles
msg tools
Seige:

The defender decides to take refuge in the fort.

Both cannonade ie. decline to storm or sally . The Turn is over . Supply check .I understand.

Next turn: The besieger declines to cannonade and chooses to storm immediately.

The besieged now in the fort declines to Sally but can he cannonade first, before the besieger storms, all in the same combat turn with the besieger taking any possible casualties before even the first combat round proceeds as normal for both sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Storming, sallying and cannonade are three totally different things. See 7.2.

If being stormed the artillery piece may fire like any block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the besieged can sally or cannonade if the besieger storms. I think cannonade is an option only if the besieger passes. In other words, the besieger decides first and the defender has options only if besieger passes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Willner
msg tools
mb
Mike is right about this. Under Rule 7.2, Siege Declarations, the besieging player makes his choices first. What the besieged player can then do depends on what the besieger has chosen. If the besieger has Passed, then all options are open to the besieged player, to also Pass, to Cannonade, or to Sally.

But if the besieger has chosen to Storm, Sally is precluded for the besieged player - there's no way that the besieged Texans would come charging out of the gates of the Alamo into the open with all of Santa Anna's thousands coming at them! And the rules also clearly state that Cannonade is an option for the besieged player "only if besieger passed". In other words, the besieged player does not get to do a second round of cannonade after the besieged player has initiated a round of it - there is just one simultaneous exchange of fire under Rule 7.24 by both players, whichever of them initiated the cannonade. And "only if besieger passed" means what it says with respect to a defender Cannonade before besieger Storming too - it's not allowed in the same game turn. If the besieger has said he is Storming, he has not Passed that turn, and so the Storm takes place without any prior Cannonade (though of course the fort artillery gets to fire as part of the Storm battle, and since the fortress artillery units have high letter ratings, they will still typically be firing first once before any of the attacker's Storming troops get near the walls of the fort).

This realistically reflects how such events as the actual Storming of the Alamo by Santa Anna played out. The Mexicans began their attack before dawn, and did not engage in any preliminary bombardment immediately before Storming so as to preserve the element of surprise, even though their guns and the Texans' had been exchanging Cannonade fire on the previous days of the siege. The Mexicans were nearly up to the walls of the fort, and had quietly bayonetted some of the Texans' pickets, before the Texans realized that they were under attack and quickly manned the walls. There was thus limited time to fire the guns before the Mexicans started scaling the walls, though there was some fire that took a toll on the densely packed Mexican assault columns. The most intense fighting of the Storm was along the walls (where Travis fell), and within the fort itself (where Bowie met his end, and possibly Crockett depending on which version of his fate one accepts). The Mexican assault is nicely done in the most recent of the Alamo movies, the one with Billy Bob Thornton as Crockett. The Mexicans attack at night, quietly at first, and once the assault is really under way you can even see at one point the Mexican Zapadores, the combat engineers with their axes, jumping down from the wall.

Carl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl gotta love your historical anecdotes. What's next on your plate sir? I'm looking forward to PrezCon 2016!

Oh Harmonica man, love your avatar sir! Is it from Once Upon A Time in the West?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Willner
msg tools
mb
Yes, I'll be at Prezcon again running Texas Glory next year, at the end of February 2016. Look forward to seeing you and lots of other players there!

Carl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.