Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

I'm interested in this game, but concerned. I'm thinking that managing players decks with cards so small might become frustrating. Shuffling such small cards is difficult to do well.

Any thoughts for me?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't find the decks to be an issue.

Starting decks have 12 cards. You can add a card to discards by using an action and paying (removing 2-3 from the game to get 1 large value) with element cards from you hand or by destroying a curse (which takes 4+ element cards) which rewards you with a single element card.

You'll be spending a LOT of element cards to do things plus place in support. Your deck won't get very big at all.

With small cards I unusually "shuffle" by just dealing three separate piles and then side shuffle a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeving might be another option to make them easier to shuffle, since you can just kind of push the two haves of the deck together instead of having to do a bridge shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do sleeve cards for my deck builders (and most others too). But my favorite sleeves don't come in small sizes. I love the "just push them together" shuffle with those sleeves.

Unfortunately, most sleeves tend to make cards slippery, which I find makes small cards harder to manage, especially if you are dealing with more than just a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Matthews
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:

You can add a card to discards by using an action and paying (removing 2-3 from the game to get 1 large value) with element cards from you hand or by destroying a curse (which takes 4+ element cards) which rewards you with a single element card.

You'll be spending a LOT of element cards to do things plus place in support. Your deck won't get very big at all.

I don't believe any of this is correct. The only time you remove cards from the game is when something specifically destroys them. Otherwise you are discarding cards when you spend them. I made the mistake of getting rid of my spells that let me destroy cards so in later rounds my deck was clogged with 1 value cards when I needed some bigger ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
When I first opened the box, the size of the cards meant for deckbuilding stood out to me as a strange choice, and after playing it for the first time tonight the difficulty manipulating such small cards was definitely our largest issue with the game. I don't really like dealing with that size of card in other games when it's just for setup, I certainly don't want shuffling a deck of them to be the central focus of a game!

Other odd card size choices: making the only cards whose rotation status matters rotationally symmetric (the square spell cards).

We would have really preferred if the spells and elements had been the same size as the curses. Different backs would have been sufficient to avoid confusion about what cards are used where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I appreciate the information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the cards are very small, and that adds some difficulty with shuffling. But this doesn't bother us alot. It's a pretty small deck so it's not a real hassle to schuffle them up.

Small cards are just cheaper, and that's noticeable in the price of this game. It's very cheap, and you get a ton of game for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.