Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A colleague and I play wargames during lunch hours. We have a dedicated table and play for 30min each day. Our current campaign game of Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit Historical Module 1 – Decision at Elst is going real bad for my germans and my (probably imagined) bad luck is making me grumpy. To keep my frustration levels down I remind myself that this is nothing compared to the "PoG episode" back in 2013.

We were halfway through an extremely intense game of Paths of Glory. Every day, the game board was the last thing I saw as I left work and the first thing I saw as I arrived the next morning. As progress through the game was slow, I had ample time to agonize over how to spend every precious OP of every card, but so had my opponent. And agonize we did.

One day I spotted an opportunity to set a trap for my german opponent on the east front, set it up, and over the next couple of days I watched in silent euphoria as my opponent took the bait. It was time to reveal what a glorious strategic genius I was by winning the game with a spectacular 5 OPs manouvre to cut off the supply to a large chunk of the german east front. I remember how I played and replayed the move in my head as I left work and couldn't wait for the next lunch hour to arrive.

Eventually, it did, and with hands shaking I played my card and started executing my plan, feeling the panic spread in the eyes of my opponent as the threat of imminent defeat dawned on him. With four OPs designated and one to go, I suddenly start to wonder why on earth I wanted to move that last corps. In a last minute change of heart I instead decided to use the OP for something completely unrelated.

Seconds later, my blood froze as I realized that by doing so his armies were still in supply. Instead I would get cut off. A couple of seconds of mind-boggling stupidity had turned victory into a near defeat.

It took my ego over a month to get back to its normal inflated status. But the episode also made me view PoG as the best game I have ever played. The intense build-up of excitement as we played and the despair that I felt right through every bone of my body as I watched it all crumble before my eyes is not something I have felt in any other game. Although it was very unpleasant at the time, in hindsight it was a great gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Purchasing Fire in the Lake. What a waste of money. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I don't make mistakes. I just make post-hoc decisions to explore "what-if" scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've outsmarted my self a few times, like your POG example, as well. Fortunately, most of those memories are well repressed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Would have to be this site. Cost me alot of $$$$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Not finishing off my opponent in UKC after kicking him around for the first few years. Should have focused on nailing the King and not holding on to territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
fightinlegalist1 wrote:
Purchasing Fire in the Lake. What a waste of money. cry

The good thing on the COIN series is that there is such demand you can easily get your money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just received my copy of the much anticipated Paths of Glory. Had it laid out on the floor of our library/guest room, looking over the components and reading through the rules when the wife yelled down that she needed me to go pick up some critical ingredient for the meal she was preparing. I dutifully grabbed my keys and dashed off to the store. When I got back, no more than 10 minutes later, I discovered that the dog had wandered into the room and decided that the brand new map was the perfect place to take a nap, and like most dogs he'd done the usual circle around and paw up the "ground" maneuver they often do, leaving the map in shreds.

I was furious, but couldn't blame the poor dog -- it was my own damned fault, since I was the one who'd been dumb enough to leave the door to the room open (and I should have had the game up on the table anyway, but I didn't want to take down the game that I already had set up on the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo D
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Selling my unplayed copy of Up Front 14 years ago. I think I got 15 Bucks on eBay. Stupid mecry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dal Bello
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milsimmer wrote:
Buying my first.........now an addict.

ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Hapsburgs in Here I Stand, I had the Ottomans on the ropes and could have easily captured Suleiman and Ibrahim, but I hesitated in a moment of weakness just because the Ottoman player just got a phone call that a family friend had died.

She ended up winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably starting a land war in asia far too many times. I should have learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Drueding
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the WBC PoG finals I miscalculated the VPs to win and took a long shot on the last turn that was both unnecessary and lost me the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered Napoleon's Triumph a few years after it was released. After a year of playing I over stressed one of the boards and broke it off. Play wasn't affected at all, but it always bothered me so I picked up another copy as a backup and left it in shrink. At the time they could be had anywhere for $35, half of their retail price. Had I bought every copy I could get my hands on selling them off over the following years would completely fund my addiction to this hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not playing wargames often enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
As the Hapsburgs in Here I Stand, I had the Ottomans on the ropes and could have easily captured Suleiman and Ibrahim, but I hesitated in a moment of weakness just because the Ottoman player just got a phone call that a family friend had died.

All things considered, you did the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold all my games from the 70's and 80's in 1995 because I thought the computer was going to be wargame platform for the future. Boy, was I wrong! I have spent the last 4 years trying to rebuild my collection at a huge expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:

All things considered, you did the right thing.

Sure, sure. But I didn't win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unintentionally buying a game I already own - a mistake it would appear I'm destined to repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest wargame mistake was thinking that wargaming started and ended with Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying some of the Panzer Grenadier games. What a tedious system. Also the graphics are just not right for the scale of the game - a single tank graphic looks like a single tank, not a platoon or whatever. It gets worse when two opposing tank or infantry counters are adjacent to each other - they look like squads, not platoons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest mistake was thinking the Avalon Hill Game Company would be around forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Hammer of the Scots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saying "OK, I'll play the Austrians against Frederick the Great."

3 miserable utterly one-sided defeats awaited that mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discovering Vassal.
Sure, it got me gaming even though I had just become a father. More importantly, I met some wonderful people through Vassal opponent searches. However, it also put some stress on my marriage and my job a couple of times...

Gaming wise, I lost a long game of No Retreat! The Russian Front because I didn't know the card deck and thought that Belgrade wasn't that important for my Soviets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.