Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812» Forums » Rules

Subject: Winter Quartering (16.23) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Dessmark
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have read the previous discussions on this rule but unfortunately still is a bit confused. I am totaly clear on the 0 space rules just to make that clear. My problem is that reading the rules I see no difference between the two cases:

* Friendly town (with or without supply)
* Enemy town in supply

As in both cases the condition: The unit is in enemy territory and the unit is out of supply is not true. That would mean that you can let the full strength unit eat town supply while the reduced units where imune to reduction. As opposed to:

* Enemy town out of supply

Where you would have to save the reduced units by giving them the town supply as far as possible and the full strength units would be reduced.

However, Example 4 seems to indicate that an enemy town in supply is more vulnerable than a friendly town and you can not rely the supply line to protect the reduced units and get away with giving the town supply to the full strength units. Where in the rules does it say that there is a difference between quartering in a friendly town and in an enemy town that is in supply?

I am not saying that it is unreasonable that units in enemy territory are more vulnerable even when in supply but since this is not clear to me from the rules and I want to play the game as it was intended to be played and playtested I feel the need to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Burkhalter
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping this questioned was answered, I'll keep looking.

Im pretty sure you are talking about example's 2 and 4. Both are examples of in supply units with example 2 in a friendly town and example 4 in an enemy town. In the friendly space the player was able to 'protect' his full strength unit, in the enemy town he was not. I can't find in the rules why this is so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This was in the errata when the game first came out. Unfortunately the single word 'OR' was left out of case 16.23. Grrrrrrr....Even though this was checked numerous times.

Basically, there is a difference between being out of supply in enemy territory compared to your own territory.

A) In friendly territory a flipped unit that is out of supply WILL NOT be removed. (We nickname it the 'freebie' rule) In your own territory you don't have to worry about it.

B) In enemy territory a flipped unit that is out of supply WILL be removed (depending on the size of the winter quartering town of course)

One of the simplest concepts that a lot of players seem to miss is that the size of the town DOES matter for winter quartering.

For example, if you have 3 units in an ENEMY town that is '4' in size NOBODY will be reduced OR removed even if you do not have a supply line. The town 'feeds' the troops for the winter because it is capable of doing so.

This would be critical if, say, you had 6 units in that same situation. Then, at least two of the units are effected by the winter attrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.