Hide
12 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Painting (and Removing Paint From) the Hero Figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek T
msg tools
I'd really like to paint the figures for this game, but don't have a ton of experience with this type of thing. Obviously I'm worried about screwing it up, and buying a second copy isn't a great option.

So, I'd like to know if anyone has much experience with these types of plastic figures. I've painted the X-Wing models before, and found that a bit of nail polish remover can remove acrylic over-paint while leaving the original paint untouched (just dabbing it off with a cotton ball, not soaking or anything).

Are these types of plastic minis more prone to being damaged by solvents? What's the safest stuff to use to undo my almost guaranteed mistakes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used nail polish remover for such minis and even after soaking for a while, the minis were not damaged. though I would still be careful.

what I also used was pure alcohol. you can let them soak in it for days without a problem. but you will have to use a brush to remove the paint completely after soaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up Reaper's Learn to Paint Kit. You won't learn how to paint flesh, but will pick up some basics, like metallics. The Reaper website will have a promotional figure event in December. See the Reaper forum.

Walmart.com has its Magic: Planeswalker Arena miniatures, which would make good miniatures to practice on (35 mini's for $20, low detail).

Strip with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and scrub, then, if you want, Super Clean (which is caustic). You don't need to strip away the primer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek T
msg tools
It looks like the Planeswalker minis are a different type of plastic (the more rigid sort). Would that make any different in terms of removing paint mistakes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ortiz
Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use LA's Totally Asesome to remove Paint with out damaging your minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ortiz
Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LA's Totally Awesome to remove paint without damaging your minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I dipped painted Descent stuff in Dettol for three straight days. Only the most stubborn paint in the deepest creases remains, and the minis still hard as they began with.

(FWIW I've also dipped squads of GW space marines into the same substance for days and they turned out okay)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brake fluid remove paint like it's butter but it's very toxic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek T
msg tools
couteaupapillon wrote:
Brake fluid remove paint like it's butter but it's very toxic

I probably don't want to sabotage my brakes, but what if I took out a bit of headlight fluid to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
sorry I meant to say brake cleaner. I used a motomaster tool&part cleaner to redo a faction for forbidden stars and The paint comes right off by spraying on it, you probably don't want to overdo it as prolonged contact may eventually deteriorate your plastic.

What I really want to say though is don't worry about messing up, your minis are gonna be nice, just have faith in the process! Also, don't overprime your figurine until they have smooth surface and use small amount of paint on your brush, this way you wont clog the details can repair mistakes easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also have not tested with lighter fluid, so i cant say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.