Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb

Mina's Mini Review - More Tash-Kalar = More

Tash-Kalar is one of my favorite games! I don't typically go for head-to-head fighting games, but this one is such an intricate, well-crafted, and interesting puzzle that I just cannot resist its charms. Though it confounds and frustrates me at times, I have a lot of fun playing each and every time I do. Naturally, I couldn't wait for more content, so I picked up the Nethervoid expansion the moment it appeared online.

The Overview

Tash-Kalar: Nethervoid is a new deck with a new mechanic - the "GATEWAY"! The gateway is represented by a pretty, yellow glass token and comes into play when Nethervoid beings are summoned. Specifically, if the Nethervoid player summons a Nethervoid being when he has no other beings in play, the next Nethervoid creature that is summoned becomes the Gateway. If the Gateway is a common piece, the next heroic piece summoned becomes the Gateway.

Nethervoid beings frequently function in relation to the Gateway rather than to themselves. For example, their summoning might result in pieces around the Gateway being destroyed, in the Gateway moving around, in pieces around the Gateway being moved around, and specific pieces being moved towards the Gateway.

My favorite card! Jackie likes it too!

The Review

1. More Tash-Kalar = More
A new deck for Tash-Kalar is a welcome addition to the game! I don't think we've come close to exploring the depths of the existing decks, but I don't think we have to do that in order to appreciate having a new avenue to explore the possibilities of Tash-Kalar. The Nethervoid deck adds a whole new way of playing Tash-Kalar that does not stray from the essence of this wonderful game.

2. Cool new mechanic!
The GATEWAY. It sounds so ominous. And it is. It will tempt and lure and destroy enemy pieces. Despite the fact that I'm not very good at it, I very much enjoy the challenge of controlling and manipulating the position of the Gateway in order to maximize its destructive and constructive potential. The fact that many Nethervoid beings allow pieces to be moved towards the Gateway or allow the Gateway itself to move around means that the Gateway (and this deck in general) is great at adjusting the board situation to suit the Nethervoid player's needs.

3. Powerful but well-balanced cards
There are some very powerful cards in the Nethervoid deck. There are creatures that will give you extra actions, a creature you can use more than once during the course of the game, creatures that will manipulate your opponent's pieces, and many more. I love powerful cards, but I don't love overpowered cards. I appreciate the balance between powerful effects and the frequently challenging conditions required in order for these effects to be executed that is presented by the Nethervoid deck.

soblue

Nothing! Like all the other decks, the Nethervoid deck will take some practice to master, but that's what makes it fun! I do feel that familiarity with the Nethervoid deck may be even more crucial to doing well than with other decks because of the ways in which the position of the Gateway (and not just the summoned creature itself) interacts with the board situation.

Final Word

Tash-Kalar is frustratingly fun and the Nethervoid deck continues this well-established tradition. The Nethervoid Gateway generates new challenges to planning for future turns, but it also generates powerful consequences for doing so skillfully. Nethervoid is a new way of playing Tash-Kalar and I am eager to further explore its possibilities and its new and interesting mechanic!

MINA'S LOVE METER heart heart heart heart heart ALL LOVE ALL THE TIME

This is all I managed to get

Mina's Love Meter

Burn it!
Dislike
heart Some like
heart heart Like
heart heart heart Some love
heart heart heart heart Lots of love
heart heart heart heart heart All love all the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great review - the gateway does sound cool. Hadn't heard a lot about it until now.

And excellent pics!

Is the fact that the hellhound keeps coming back a good thing or more of a penalty? Seems like more penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends when the last card is drawn, so it shouldn't come up more than twice, unless there's some other card effect which interacts with the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
SirWashington wrote:

Is the fact that the hellhound keeps coming back a good thing or more of a penalty? Seems like more penalty.

It's generally a good thing, because it gives you one more creature in your deck than your opponent, and therefore one more chance to destroy an opposing piece, grab a task, etc. On the other hand, if you're already ahead and just want the game to end NOW, it's a bad thing.

Making deals with demons gets complicated quickly.

I should note that I haven't had a chance to play with Nethervoid yet (I play on Boardgamearena, and that expansion hasn't been implemented yet) but in general getting a summon available for re-use is a positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
great review - the gateway does sound cool. Hadn't heard a lot about it until now.

And excellent pics!

Thank you!

The fact that the Hellhound comes back (once at most!) can be both a blessing and a curse (just as is true for many of the demons...they provide a benefit as they shoot you in the foot). However, I think the Hellhound is mostly positive. If you are ahead and want the game to end, having it come back is not great. However, if not, knowing that you have a legend-destroying creature lurking at the bottom of your deck is a great thing! You can try to prepare for it in advance and then destroy an opponent's legend at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
The game ends when the last card is drawn, so it shouldn't come up more than twice, unless there's some other card effect which interacts with the deck.

Yup. It won't come up more than twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodOmens wrote:

It's generally a good thing, because it gives you one more creature in your deck than your opponent, and therefore one more chance to destroy an opposing piece, grab a task, etc. On the other hand, if you're already ahead and just want the game to end NOW, it's a bad thing.

Making deals with demons gets complicated quickly.

I should note that I haven't had a chance to play with Nethervoid yet (I play on Boardgamearena, and that expansion hasn't been implemented yet) but in general getting a summon available for re-use is a positive.

Yeah! Agreed! Especially when you know exactly when it is going to come up and exactly what it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
tempestofcatan wrote:
how did you get your hands on this? Thought it wasn't out yet in the NA market. None of my board game sellers have this in stock.

do you know someone?

BoardGameBliss!!! They have very reasonable shipping to the US as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
tempestofcatan wrote:
One last question, is the card board quality the same as the previous game pieces?

It seems to be identical to the latest release of Tash-kalar by CGE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

Yup. It won't come up more than twice.

You can put cards to the bottom of their decks by discarding one of your cards as an action. Won't be useful very often though I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.