Marcus Windrich
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hi All,

I'm getting back into this game. I have the core set and the first three APs for Mirkwood. I plan to get the remaining 3 when they are back in stock.

So my question is...would you go for Khazad Dum next or one of the Saga expansions (first hobbit or first fellowship?)

I like the idea behind the saga expansions and they seem to be well liked however I have heard they can be very hard without a good card pool. I am a big Lord of the Rings fan so I am happy with whatever...dwarf decks, hobbit decks, etc.

I have been using the "Beorn's Path" decks to get through the first few quests. I love the game but my handle on deck-building is nil, haha.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imo, buy the saga expansions for a more robust quest experience

buy the other boxes if you want more player cards to play around with

obviously they both provide player cards and quests, but i think the saga editions puts more of a focus on the quests and often includes a lot of unique allies and less player cards in general

that said, you'll end up buying everything anyway, so just get what looks more fun for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conanioni Su
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Khazad Dum and the first hobbit saga (OHAUH) almost at the same time, enjoyed both! I would say that either way is a very good choice. The quests in both expansion are quite thematic and fun. I tend to feel the hobbit saga is more difficult than Khazad Dum but it boosts the dwarf deck more too.

If you want to quickly get into a powerful dwarf deck I would recommend OHAUH. If you want to navigate the next 6 adventure packs in Dwarrowdelf cycle first, which contain some of the very powerful hero cards, then go to Khazad Dum. I have not acquired the first fellowship yet, so I do not have an opinion on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Tadley
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to build a Dwarf deck, go Hobbit Saga, then Khazad.

If you want to play with *anything* else, go Black Riders and the LotR sagas.

Also, one point on Deluxe. Generally Deluxe boxes tend to focus on one major trait. So if you have a thematic or faction specific build you want to play, Deluxe boxes (with a couple of select encounter packs) may give you more bang for your buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally had a substantially tougher time with the Saga quests than I did with Khazad-dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle. I was collecting as they were released at that point so I had all of KD + DD cycle when the saga's came out and I still struggled (I will admit I am certainly not a strong player, especially back then).

If you are at all having a tough time on any of the earlier quests I would suggest going through KD first. If this is not an issue I would suggest getting the saga's first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Windrich
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, I think I will go with the first two first saga expansions.

I did have a hard time with the quests using some basic decks. Beorn's Path really helped with that.

Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.