Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Epic tournament thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
c m
msg tools
are epic scale ships viable in an epic tournament? I find myself wondering this as I get ready for my first epic tournament. I plan on taking an epic ship, raider or cr-90, I look forward to using it in a tourney setting. But I'm concerned most guys will avoid them and just load up squads full of ships. Be it b-wings with hlc or something else similar. Anyone had epic tournament experience? Did you run into this or did most people bring epic stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have seen and heard, very few people are bringing epic ships to epic games. Generally they just do not hold up compared to small fleets. I guess the best way to put it is compare a single Raider or CR90 very a 150 pt fleet. The fleet is going to cut down the epic ship very fast. In my opinion, once they come out with a scum epic ship, any epic game should require 3 epic points. I love playing epic and have won a few times against a small fleet, but there was definitely some luck involved.

Bottom line, leave the epic ship at home and bring a large fleet, as much as it saddens me to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KickinAces wrote:
it saddens me to say

Yeah, having nothing but 300 point squads just points out the one weakness of X-Wing: numbers overpower everything. Plus, it's just not fun. Who cares if you can have lots of ships, the whole point of Epic is to fly those beautiful big ships! I agree that each side, maybe not squad, should have a minimum of Epic points.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Great, now I have a vision of 25 Z95s fighting 25 academy TIEs. Good lord that would be boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Great, now I have a vision of 25 Z95s fighting 25 academy TIEs. Good lord that would be boring.

I don't play epic tournaments, but there is still a limit of 12 ships of one kind, correct? So.... 12 z95s and 12 a-wings...or whatever... Point made BOORRing

Cr-90 vs raider = just cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:

Cr-90 vs raider = just cool

It is very, very cool.

One nice thing about the epic ships, if you equip them with the boost, they can sacrifice the front half by just slamming through the 12 Z-95 and 12 A-Wings, and whatever they don't kill can take shots with some Quad laser cannons on the rear of the ship!

(I know you can't use the free straight 1 to collide, but that plus a speed 3/4 can get you much further that you'd expect)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has played a lot of Team Epic, I can assure you that Epic Ships are absolutely viable. I've played both pick-up and tournament Team Epic games, and in games where my partner and I have been flying an Epic ship we're something like 10-1, and those wins include enemy fleets that had epic ships and enemy fleets that spammed small/large ships.

Maybe standard Epic is different (haven't played at all at 300 points), but in 400pt Team Epic at least the Epic ships are really powerful if you can utilize them effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c m
msg tools
12 academy tie fighters and 10 tie/fo fighters = boring and kind of a piss off. They will win just by timing out a match. The main amount of GE time will be eaten up by just movement and dial placement. I really don't think this is in the spirit of epic. They really need to get each faction into epic so they can make it mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
As someone who has played a lot of Team Epic, I can assure you that Epic Ships are absolutely viable. I've played both pick-up and tournament Team Epic games, and in games where my partner and I have been flying an Epic ship we're something like 10-1, and those wins include enemy fleets that had epic ships and enemy fleets that spammed small/large ships.

Maybe standard Epic is different (haven't played at all at 300 points), but in 400pt Team Epic at least the Epic ships are really powerful if you can utilize them effectively.

In my experience, with 300 points you are at a serious disatvantage with an Epic ship. You don't have enough points to outfit an epic ship and enough swarms + aces to keep a pure swarm off the Epic.

Dang, now I want to play a 400pt team game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
In my experience, with 300 points you are at a serious disatvantage with an Epic ship. You don't have enough points to outfit an epic ship and enough swarms + aces to keep a pure swarm off the Epic.

Yeah, I can see that... a buddy & I played CR-90 vs Raider at around 300 (maybe like 320 max?) but we each decided to spend about 150-160 on the huge ship, and then about 5-7 small ships. So we ended up being fairly equalized in terms of numbers. We stopped after (3 hours?) when the capital ships began to engage lol. There's a lot of keep track of with those big guns. And it was try all the "new & shiny" TIE Advanced pilots and K-wing armaments...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.