Subject: Rule Questions from our first game play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean OhEigeartaigh

Somerville
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had my first play through with 3 of my friends. We liked the game over all but a few questions were raised during play.

1. Establishing Naval Routes; This is the biggest issue we had. Does the active player have to reestablish a naval route to travel through a sea area until the Venice token is earned or is a previous influence enough? E.g. Golfo di Venetia and Mare Adriatico are in Venice control. There are two influence tokens on Mare Libico (3) one Red and one Blue. The Red player then wants to set up one influence on Zante. Does Red need to use 2 actions to place in Mare Libico and Zante or just one using the previous influence in the sea and go directly to Zante? At first it would seem to be the latter but then why are there sea tiles w/ (5) or (4) and the note in the rule book about only 1 influence in the same sea area per turn seem unnecessary.

2. Peace Treaty; This is sort of a continuation of the above rule, if a sea route needs to be reestablished, can the new influence from the peace treaty card be used as a new connection that turn?

3. Mercenaries; Can this be used on any minor colony or must a naval connection be present? (Same question for the Marriage card.)

That's all for now. But I'm sure we'll come across more as we play. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrety wrote:
I just had my first play through with 3 of my friends. We liked the game over all but a few questions were raised during play.

1. Establishing Naval Routes; This is the biggest issue we had. Does the active player have to reestablish a naval route to travel through a sea area until the Venice token is earned or is a previous influence enough? E.g. Golfo di Venetia and Mare Adriatico are in Venice control. There are two influence tokens on Mare Libico (3) one Red and one Blue. The Red player then wants to set up one influence on Zante. Does Red need to use 2 actions to place in Mare Libico and Zante or just one using the previous influence in the sea and go directly to Zante? At first it would seem to be the latter but then why are there sea tiles w/ (5) or (4) and the note in the rule book about only 1 influence in the same sea area per turn seem unnecessary.

I strongly suggest to download the official FAQ: http://www.stratelibri.it/wp/?page_id=487.
Anyway, the answer is NO, Red doesn't need to use 2 actions (=place 2 tokens) in the SAME TURN: he does if he wants to establish a route through the same Sea in SUBSEQUENT turns (until the sum of all player tokens on the sea zone reaches the "Venice Control Token" level). This explains your question about sea zones numbered 4/5. With 3 players, it's impossibile to reach 4/5 in the same turn. Someone has to place more than one token of his color, and this will require another turn.

Quote:

2. Peace Treaty; This is sort of a continuation of the above rule, if a sea route needs to be reestablished, can the new influence from the peace treaty card be used as a new connection that turn?

Yes. Question answered in the FAQ, btw

Quote:

3. Mercenaries; Can this be used on any minor colony or must a naval connection be present? (Same question for the Marriage card.)

I can't remember the specific cards and I don't have the game here, but as a general rule, if the cards say "anywhere on the map", it means anywhere, no matter if the colonies are connected to Venice or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean OhEigeartaigh

Somerville
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that link to the FAQ. Most helpful!

However I'm still not sure about question 3. The mercenaries card reads as follows;

"Choose 1 minor colony and draw 1 Battle tile. Place on the colony a number of Influence equal to the value on the tile (ignore any other icons)."

It does not say anything about being able to choose anywhere nor does it say it must be connected to Venice.

I have the English version and I understand that some of the other language versions may be more clear on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'll check the italian original card and let you know.. the english version is ambiguous, indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the original italian text, there's no difference.
Anyway, I thought about how we managed this card (it's been a long time since our last play) and I'm quite sure we treated such cards as they all stated "anywhere on the map".
See https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1070318/action-cards for a "hint" from one of the authors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean OhEigeartaigh

Somerville
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did guess that was how it was to be played in our first game.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.