Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Marion
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,
Looking for some advice here if possible. With Xmas around the corner I am looking to continue the tradition of buying each of my sons a board game for xmas.
For my oldest who is 12 I have been looking at the Battletech Intro box.
My son, loves miniatures, sci-fi and robots.
He plays all different types of games with his favorites being Space Hulk, Memoir 44, Terror in Meeple City, Mice and Mystics and Warhammer 40k Conquest (which we have been playing a lot lately). We also play the occasional game of X-wing and Warmachine.

So my question is; have you had an opportunity to play Battletech, specifically the into box with a younger crowd (12 and 13 year olds) and if so how did they do?
Was the game too complicated for them?
I understand that Battletech can be a little slower paced, did that loose the kids?
I'm leaning towards the game in part due to it being a board game that can be expanded to a miniature game, plus my son being who he is would love to dive into the cannon of the universe. I can see him asking my to buy source books, etc.
Oh and he loved Mechwarrior 4 on the PC.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give him a sourcebook first. Let him choose the Power he likes the most by reading the history PDF from Catalyst that comes with the Intro. Box.

If he likes the History of Battletech, no matter how hard and complicated are the rules he will play it till the end of his days.

By the way. There are a introductory ruleset easy to teach even to non players to start. From there on you can complicate the rules until you want. But the realism it's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was no older than 12 when I first stumbled across Battletech in the form of "Natural Selection" by Michael A. Stackpole (a strange starting point, I know, but the cover was appealing and I didn't know anything about the setting), followed by "Main Event" by James D. Long (again, just based on what was available in the bookstore).
After that I delved headfirst into the novels (Warrior and Blood of Kerensky trilogies) and loved it.
In the back of these books was an advertisement for the Battletech Starter Box (mind you, not the new and shiny one available from Catalyst nowadays, but the one with the classy Warhammer on the front and plastic minis in the box). As a friend of mine was equally interested in the Battletech universe we decided to mailorder that thing and started playing the game.
We learned the game as we went and had a blast (designing new mech variants and scenarios all the time).

We did that when we where 13, had noone to help us with the rules and had only little prior gaming experience (HeroQuest, Star Crusade, Battle Master). The new Catalyst edition is more accessible than the old FASA one was so I think that it should be possible for a 12year old and his das to learn the game without too much trouble.

Just start it easy with just a single light mech on each side (light mechs have less weapons and options, so everything should be a tad simpler) and see how it goes.

And I agree, the Battletech universe can really pull you in, so giving your son something to read (or an audiobook) can help (I for one reread the Technical Readout 3025 dozens of times back in the day).

Have fun playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I first discovered Battletech back when it was still Battledroids with paper standees in 1984 - I was 11 years old. We didn't play it much as we thought it would be too advanced for us. Then, the very next year when it became Battletech I dove right in, head first, as a 12 year old eager to tackle the complex rules and discovered it wasn't complex in the slightest. There are a lot of little rules, but it isn't complex. And there is a sort of flow to the charts and tables that make sense once you start playing. This new version is even easier to get into and comes with plastic minis which beat the hell out of the paper and cardboard standees we used to use way back when. I introduced it to my friends, none of which were (or even now) serious board gamers and nobody had trouble understanding the rules. We continued playing for a number of years and we all had a ton of fun with it. With how you've described your son, I think it would be perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Marion
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your responses. I was leaning towards getting the intro box and now I'm convinced even more that it will a perfect gift for him.
Once Christmas is over I'll give a quick post here on the forums how our first couple of games have gone.
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting back into playing. I've pulled out my old set I got way way back when (the re-titled BattleTech from FASA). I did a quick re-read of my Rules of Warfare book and got it on the table to introduce my 11 year old to the game. He had been looking forward to it and loved it--just as I did when I discovered it as a 13 year old. I had forgotten just how simple the base rules are, and fell right back into the flow of the game after decades away.So in a roundabout way: yeah, I think your boys will like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.