Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Every summer I spend two weeks in Slovakia teaching English at a day camp. I was wondering if you had any recommendations of games I could use to teach English. My students are mostly ages 9-12 with a very basic knowledge of English-- i.e., they know some vocabulary and the more advanced ones can put simple sentences together.

I'm thinking about designing a game on my own, so any suggestions for that would be welcome as well.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
historysteph wrote:
Every summer I spend two weeks in Slovakia teaching English at a day camp. I was wondering if you had any recommendations of games I could use to teach English. My students are mostly ages 9-12 with a very basic knowledge of English-- i.e., they know some vocabulary and the more advanced ones can put simple sentences together.

I'm thinking about designing a game on my own, so any suggestions for that would be welcome as well.

Thanks.

Maybe Scrabble Junior (or adult)? Junior Boggle could be good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fluxx maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a geeklist on this topic

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1827

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games on that list are too advanced for my students, unfortunately. Apples to Apples Junior *might* work with those who know more English. Scrabble Junior is a possibility. I don't know much about Fluxx, but I plan to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Breitenstein
United States
Cold Sprin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
historysteph wrote:

Thanks.

Hi Stephanie,

We make a game called Say What which has several different languages on the cards. It's designed to be played while doing other things. Matter of fact, a lot of language teachers have been using the game in their classes.

Basically the cards have words or actions on them. When someone says the word or does the action on the card, they get the card. So you are trying to get rid of your cards. It takes attention and sometimes even manipulation (telling someone they have something on their face to get them to "touch your face" to get the card). The time can vary and the person with the least amount of points on their cards at the end of the time period wins the game.

Anyway, I'd be happy to send you a copy to try it out. We send some copies out to schools for teaching purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas! KerryB, I might try something like that with our vocabulary words.

Right now I'm planning to make my own versions of Apples to Apples and Memory (pictures on one card, words on the other). I'm also working on a Ticket-to-Ride-like game where, instead of placing trains, students place words to complete sentences (on a map of Slovakia, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually translated an entire set of APples to Apples cards into Korean to play with Korean students. Each card had the English word as well as the Korean translation. It went over very well.

Perhaps you could try doing that with Apples to Apples Junior.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am rather a word game lover/collector. And I particularly used to hunt for wordgames for non-word-gamers (ie, Scrabble is a counter-example). To have fun wordgames with teaching values, I would suggest the following,

"TYPO", easy to learn; you can learn even you lose the game; even the best english speaking person may lose points in this game. But for 4 players only each game.

"Pass the Bomb", extremely fun, exciting, more about word-association (esp from words previously played), random timer makes the best player may lose sometimes, any number of players.

"Attribut", good to learn new vocabs, sort of action-response game even.

"Squint", a creativity game (arrange pictures to make other knowing what's your word), can fill hours of play.

These games have very low barrier on vocab power, but one can effectively improve english from playing these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.