Popular Tags: forum-session [+] [View All]
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
It's easily been years since I dusted off the Heresy cards to try it out. I threw together a couple decks - one was pure Evolution (with the requisite Tech cards, of course) and the other was Rebellion. Both mostly consisted of every card I owned for that faction.

For some reason, the play felt rather flat - less "cool" than I remembered the last time we tried a game out. I still like the card art and the theme, and I like how you need to have cards in the Matrix to store your game-winning-objective tau energy, which also requires characters to defend.

The table layout felt awkward since you have several locations with possibly multiple characters (and their attached cards) attached to each. By the end of the game, we both had a rather unwieldy collection of locations and characters in our Wilds area. Also, it seemed like there were long periods of buildup trying to gather sufficient force to make a successful attack to gain tau - although this could also have been inexperience and/or untuned decks. Since you can only initiate two attacks per turn (choosing from Wilds attack, Matrix attack, and Challenge), it was sometimes difficult to "strike hard" in a single turn to get past the opponent's defenses and gain tau.

In the end, we were surprised to discover that one player was almost decked and that yes, decking costs you the game in Heresy. I ended up winning with 11 tau on the penultimate turn, but we both felt it was a rather flat experience. For both of us, Heresy remains a game better enjoyed for its artistic design and theme rather than its gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.