Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Why is there a BGG entry for this? This is not a game, nor will it ever be... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I think that is everything if you take out the stories about Magic King Dads and online reputations and such.
And the bit about eating dolphins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Char
Germany
flag msg tools
You may want to read the synopsis at the end of this article as well,
http://es.ign.com/heroquest/98414/feature/heroquest-25-anive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I I predicted the delay is stemming from the stretch goals.

But there is still this part.

Quote:
Another point that would be finished by the rules and manuals. These would be designed with functionality in mind, so it does not contain illustrations, but only explanatory diagrams, which also would conflict directly with the improvements during the project Lánzanos foundation. Adventure books, for example, would be one end and the air is still the subject of some translations for games that go abroad. With all the delays that there have been, they would be waiting for the last minute to give by closed rules and minimize errors, and that these changes would have to see reflected in translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Summary:

1) Game wont be out for Christmas. Possibly the super mega super update in 4 parts may be out by then, or maybe January.
2) Miniatures are to be some frankenstien combination of metal, resin and plastic.
3) Game will be out soon.
4) Absolutely Nothing is completed yet. Lots of stuff has been rejected and has to be redone.
5) Stories that the company is out of money is off limits.

I think that is everything if you take out the stories about Magic King Dads and online reputations and such.

Kudos for bothering. I started, but the wall o' text defeated me. Too much to read on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting if there is footage of 'this guy' and his journey into the bowels of magic unicorns that is the Heroquest production.

Once we found the footage, it was merely alternating shots of Dionysius, and then Dionysius with a funny mustache, dark glasses, and a microphone, nodding thoughtfully and taking small bites of chilled dolphin here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Nybo
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
farnball1 wrote:
They put their money and illusion in the project.

Yeah, this seems to sum it up very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope that made more sense in Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
pinkymadigan wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Summary:

1) Game wont be out for Christmas. Possibly the super mega super update in 4 parts may be out by then, or maybe January.
2) Miniatures are to be some frankenstien combination of metal, resin and plastic.
4) Absolutely Nothing is completed yet. Lots of stuff has been rejected and has to be redone.
5) Stories that the company is out of money is off limits.

Kudos for bothering. I started, but the wall o' text defeated me. Too much to read on my phone.

Well it's getting to the end of 2015 and I hadn't done my good deed for the year yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And this trend continues.
First HeroQuest.
Then Supremacy (2020)
Now Mutant Chronicles: Siege on the Citadael.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
First HeroQuest.
Then Supremacy (2020)

Huh? Which trend do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
First HeroQuest.
Then Supremacy (2020)

Grabbing the title and baser theme of a OOP board game and doing a "Homage" to it.

Though to be fair I think maybe the Mutant Chronicle one actually has permission. Miracles do occur you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time it seems to be a minority trend, luckly. No need for miracles. There are plenty of ex Hasbro or ex GW games that are brought back to the market in the usual way of buying a license for them... Inkognito, Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, Talisman, DungeonQuest, The Fury of Dracula, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st Edition), Merchant of Venus... Same for classics from other publishers, let's name at least Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and Tales of the Arabian Nights. So, doing things properly appears a feasible possibility for any publisher, big or small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
First HeroQuest.
Then Supremacy (2020)

Grabbing the title and baser theme of a OOP board game and doing a "Homage" to it.

Though to be fair I think maybe the Mutant Chronicle one actually has permission. Miracles do occur you know.

What...? I thought we were getting a fairly straight reprint on Mutant Chronicles. Really all that game needs to be 'fixed' is a second Grenade launcher in the equipment deck and move the 2nd mission to much later in the campaign.

Meh, I hope they don't change it too much. Then again, I have my old copy, so I guess I'm good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Lorenzo
Spain
Los Santos de la Humosa
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What bothers me most is the rulebook wihout illustrations. There was an improved rulebook SG with the awesome illustrations of their artists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Char
Germany
flag msg tools
Which was one of the main extended CF goals. So you paid for sth that isn't going to happen.One more nail to GZ's coffin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMoore19 wrote:
What bothers me most is the rulebook without illustrations. There was an improved rulebook SG with the awesome illustrations of their artists.
That bit made no sense and I assumed it was just the crappy machine-translation. I hope so anyways. Until we can get a natice Spanish-to-English translation (or at least proper summary) we can't really make any meaningful assumptions. Other than it ain't gonna be ready until 2016. Maybe.

P.S.
My favorite translation issue was a set of instructions that were peppered with the phrase "never never" do this and "never never" do that. Following the instructions failed miserably. Until some smart guy (certainly not me) realized that "never never" was a double-negative and the *correct* interpretation was "always". After that, things worked perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
GMoore19 wrote:
What bothers me most is the rulebook without illustrations. There was an improved rulebook SG with the awesome illustrations of their artists.
That bit made no sense and I assumed it was just the crappy machine-translation. I hope so anyways. Until we can get a natice Spanish-to-English translation (or at least proper summary) we can't really make any meaningful assumptions. Other than it ain't gonna be ready until 2016. Maybe.

Sorry but it's not an assumption nor a translation mistake.

I have read the spanish version of the wall of text. According to the interviewer, Dionisio told him that the rulebook and adventure book will be super functional. They will be in color, but with no artistic illustrations. They will have diagrams and figures to show how to move the pieces or how to place the doors, but those will be functional diagrams with no artistic part.

Therefore, the "improved rulebook SG" won't be fulfilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:
I have read the Spanish version of the wall of text.
That's good enough for me then.

Hollyhock wrote:
According to the interviewer, Dionisio told him that the rulebook and adventure book will be super functional. They will be in color, but with no artistic illustrations. They will have diagrams and figures to show how to move the pieces or how to place the doors, but those will be functional diagrams with no artistic part.
I'm a little (well, a whole lot actually) confused how "super functional" translates into no illustrations. I guess he means no thematic images? I can see how that'll save costs right now (no artists to pay, fewer pages to print) but if this thing comes out looking like a 1970's typewritten rulesheet, I think a whole lotta people are gonna be severely disappointed. Even the original HQ rulebook was only four colours (B&W and orange and brown) but there were thematic illustrations here and there. Although looking at scans of it again, maybe not so much?

Hollyhock wrote:
Therefore, the "improved rulebook SG" won't be fulfilled.
At this point that's not nearly so much of a letdown as the increasingly extended delivery dates and extremely minimal updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have summarized the wall of text in English. Enjoy:

GZ is preparing a mega-update. The update is so big that they will release it in various parts, and is being made by a dedicated group. The update will feature photos, videos and comments, and will show people playing the game. Dionisio intends to publish the first part in xmas, but he cannot guarantee it.

GZ knows about its bad press in social media. They assume that they are the ones to blame for this bad press and they hope that the mega-update will calm the backers down.

GZ knows about its bad press in mass media: after reading the articles of ABC and HARTOS.ORG they got in contact with their lawyer to take action. But the lawyer told them to take no action: the articles do not explicitly call HQ25 a scam so they have no legal ground for asking compensations.

Dionisio cannot give a release date for HQ25, and insists that the project is nearly finished. When asked if 17/02/2016 could be feasible, he answers yes.

GZ knows that they haven't fulfilled the last estimated release date (this december). They could had the basic game ready for december if they had chosen to drop the addons, keep the backers waiting and fulfill only the preorders. But they chose to wait and fulfill backers and preorders at the same time. By the way, they have taken advantage of the extra delay to apply some finishing touches to the game, and that's why the game is not yet in the printer.

The rulebook has been translated by professional translators. "Geek translators" haven't got the rules yet because they will be used as final proofreaders. Although the professional translation is done, right now rules are being revised, taking advantage of the extra delay of the release date: that's why the "geek translators" don't have access to the rules yet.

There have been no english playtesters testing the game. There is an english group that has played a game of HQ25, but that wasn't a playtest, it was video footage for the mega-update. They are english people living in Spain.

The decision to include metal parts on some miniatures was taken because some parts were very fragile in resin and they were easily broken/bent. The decision was taken long ago, but it has been leaked now because now they are casting the metal minis so it became obvious. The "cage" scenery was also going to be made in resin but the cage bars were too brittle and it will be eventually made in plastic.

There's the rumour that GZ is running out of money to fulfill the project as a result of so many delays. Dionisio makes no comment about that: he says that any comment could feed further rumours and prefers to stay silent. The interviewer tells him that in a case like this, it's often better to defend your solvency. Dionisio still makes no comment.

GZ is receiving a lot of complaints by email and even hate-mail. Dionisio intends to answer all of them, and even ask for apologies, but fulfilling the project goes first. He feels some of those emails are unanswerable, for example: some backers demand GZ to be gifted the preorder exclusive miniatures, and some people are asking for information that has not been made public yet. Dionisio's secretary Isabel is using premade email templates when answering customers, because her job is to fulfill useful transactions for the game (change of addresses, shipping questions...). However, she forwards every mail to Dionisio.

Dionisio knows that more backers than ever are trying to get rid of their pledges, selling them or transfering them. He doesn't know anything about preorders, because those are managed by online shops. However, the number of backers that get rid of their pledges is less than 1%. GZ has been refunding money until very recently. Now, as the project is in its last phase, backers can be sure that their money was spent into production. Online shops are refunding money without any problem, as that money hasn't been given to GZ yet.

Dionisio doesn't want to comment anything about the progress on miniatures. He doesn't want people to make false assumptions lacking a proper criteria of the ongoing production. After insisting on it, he says the following:
-The 3D modelling of the Draks is finished and they are getting moulds soon.
-The gargoyle is done.
-The cage is done (but will be plastic instead of resin).
-The Goblin Throne has been redone.

Dionisio doesn't want to comment anything about the printing. After insisting on it, he tells the following:
-The back of the dungeon master screen is not finished, because it contains rules and tables and those are being refined.
-Rulebook and Adventure Book will be in color, but they will have no artistic illustrations. They will have explanation diagrams, but with no artistic content.
-The Rulebook and the Basic Adventure Book are finished. The book of the "mysterious books of Arena" is still in late development.
-Printing will be the last step in the project, only packaging and shipment will be done after that.

GZ plans on making expansions to HQ25 and will try to crowdfund them if able. Expansions will be made shortly after fulfilling the actual project. He has a lot of ideas on expansions but no production has been done because HQ25 is the top priority. Some of his ideas are making a public contest of user-made quests and publish the best 5 within the next expansion. Expansions will focus on giving more depth to the world of HQ25, so they will focus on maps, quests and background instead of rules or miniatures.

GZ plans on publishing Space Crusade in the same way as HQ25. Space Crusade is a project as complex as HQ25, but the experience gained with HQ25 will help a lot. GZ will try to get done as much as possible and then crowdfund it. Space Crusade could be produced in parallel to the HQ25 expansions, because HQ25 expansions will need few production resources. As soon as GZ produces the HQ25 reserves, they will put their attention on Space Crusade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:
I have summarized the wall of text in English. Enjoy:

GZ knows about its bad press in mass media: after reading the articles of ABC and HARTOS.ORG they got in contact with their lawyer to take action. But the lawyer told them to take no action: the articles do not explicitly call HQ25 a scam so they have no legal ground for asking compensations.

GZ plans on publishing Space Crusade in the same way as HQ25. Space Crusade is a project as complex as HQ25, but the experience gained with HQ25 will help a lot. GZ will try to get done as much as possible and then crowdfund it. Space Crusade could be produced in parallel to the HQ25 expansions, because HQ25 expansions will need few production resources. As soon as GZ produces the HQ25 reserves, they will put their attention on Space Crusade.

1: Thanks. Much appreciated.

2: This is so hilariously crack-headed. They make a business of stepping on IP and then want to sic lawyers on those who speak out about their practices? (Note that they also intimated once that they would move to block Mood Design sales of their Hero Quest in foreign markts they have license.)

3: Still interested to see where that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mb
To all backers :

I'm going To visit Gamezone Miniatures before Christmas and make a complete footage with international subtitles for everyone.
The video Will be published on The official Channel of The company.
No more rumours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
This is so hilariously crack-headed. They make a business of stepping on IP and then want to sic lawyers on those who speak out about their practices? (Note that they also intimated once that they would move to block Mood Design sales of their Hero Quest in foreign markts they have license.)

I strongly suspect that GZ has never considered taking real legal action; they are only mentioning their lawyer to project an appearance of dignity. That kind of legal action is rare and expensive and only restricted to obvious offense or defamation. You don't need a lawyer to know that you have no legal standpoint.

Similarly, a year ago, when GZ servers collapsed while the personal data of the backers was being collected, Dionisio claimed that they were the target of a DDoS attack. According to him, a mysterious troll hacking group was bullying them, so they placed a report into the telematic department of the Spanish police. That's what GZ claimed. However, as they never showed any copy or receipt of the police report, they may as well have made everything up to hide that they simply effed up the data collection with a faulty server with underdimensioned bandwith allocation.

I don't usually mistrust everything said by a publisher. It's just that, GZ lost for me the benefit of the doubt after undergoing so much controversy: those are the guys who said that they "had every right to publish HQ" when directly asked "do you have a license from Hasbro?", and when it was clear that they didn't have a license, they went like: "we said we have every right because we don't need permission from Hasbro as this is going to be a totally different game".

Also, it's shocking to me that they are using even the last bit of available time to keep tweaking the rules (those "finishing touches" are just rules changes). One year after the initially planned release date, the rules are not stable enough to have the backside of the DM screen defined. I fear they might make the last change minutes before starting to print. That's crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
HeroQuestFrance wrote:
To all backers :

I'm going To visit Gamezone Miniatures before Christmas and make a complete footage with international subtitles for everyone.
No more rumours.

Which Christmas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
HeroQuestFrance wrote:
To all backers :

No more rumours.

Which Christmas?

HeroQuestFrance wrote:
Be patient. It will be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.