BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: Can a game change your life? ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicole Casanova
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hi Board gamers... please accept my apology first. I have yet to figure out how to let people know about when they can play Shift and I keep hearing that Boargamegeek is where it's at so I thought I'd invite you to join us.

We have a really fun night planned next Mon. at Tattered Cover in Denver where we'll be playing Shift- the game that shows us why we do what we do. Shift is a personality xray where you get to see what's driving your behavior and the always fun part call each other on your "shift."

Just thought I'd put it out there until I learn how to use this site. We'd love to have you join us. I promise it will be just a tad different than any game you've played.

Come to a Shift Circle!!!

Free Shift Circle at Tattered Cover, LoDo
There will be a FREE Shift Circle starting at the Tattered Cover, LoDo in Denver, CO starting Monday, January 29, 2007 at 7:00 pm. Tattered Cover LoDo is located at 16th and Wynkoop in Denver. Creator, Nicole Casanova, will be facilitating game play and available to sign your games. Read more

Play the demo to see what it's about- www.shiftthegame.com

When?
Monday, Jan 29, 2007, 7:00 PM
Where?
Tattered Cover, LoDo in downtown Denver. Tatter Cover is located at 16th and WynKoop in Denver.
Boulder, CO 80301
303-530-0787

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, played the demo on the site. Its like a roll and move mixed with Trivial Pursuit, where the questions are all subjective rather than definitive. The questions are pretty cheesy, and the responses are about par for the site's course.

Good luck with the endeavor, but I believe you overspoke the game a bit there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Scientology. Do you hold soup cans while you play? haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
The fear/love thing is a little too Donnie Darko for me.

You're probably not going to get a great reception for a game like this here since Boardgamegeek is mostly made up of people into European-style games, war games, or the chrome-ier American games. Classic roll-and-move style games don't tend to be popular, nor do the more touchy-feely games, and from a quick look at your site it looks like Shift covers both of those bases. Good luck with your game night though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
Sounds like Scientology.

I had the exact same thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nicole --

Welcome to BGG! (Since nobody else appears capable of civility)

FWIW, I think you did it just right -- you introduced yourself, and told us outright about your game. Frankly, it doesn't sound like *my* cup of tea, but I won't bash you or your game because of it. I think you described it accurately enough -- I, too, played through the demo on the site. Nonetheless, were I anywhere near the Denver area, I might be inclined to stop by to check it out & mebbe meet some other gamers, too. I wish you luck with it -- my own designs haven't made it as far.

Other Geeks: What about her post is so deserving of thumbs down?? Because she's promoting her game? I bet most of us would be delighted to actually *have* a game to promote here-- and I also bet most of us would hope to be treated a whole lot nicer if we did.

Nothing like welcoming the newcomers, eh?

Sheesh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Alban
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Shift website:

"Shift includes thoughts from great minds such as Buddha, Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln and more. To put a spin on things, we’ve had our very own stand-up comedian take some of these concepts and make them more fun. So, go ahead and laugh!"

Ok - LOL!!!

And if that's not enough to scare you away, check out the references to "The Course" at http://www.shiftthegame.com/about-shift/why-we-created/

Mike, I think part of the response is because this is not really a game so much as a platform for New Agey conversion. And if you visit the website, it's pretty creepy/fruity. From the same link:

"I wanted to distill all of these universal principles into something that people who weren’t lighting incense in Boulder or Berkeley could experience. Knowing that I was at choice and that I could choose my reality was the single most important thing I had learned in my life and I wanted to empower other people with that same knowledge. I wanted people who were in their twenties, who lived in Iowa, or who might not be exposed to that message to hear it, and I knew they would need the form to be hip and different than most New Age products. It took about six months for the concept to show up as a board game. And it took another three years or so to get the game dynamics right. I was trying to create something that conveyed these lofty principles in a really fun and cool way and getting down to simple was actually quite difficult."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mike, I think part of the response is because this is not really a game so much as a platform for New Agey conversion. And if you visit the website, it's pretty creepy/fruity.

Yeah, Dan -- I was there & saw all the same stuff, too. I don't subscribe to it any more than I subscribe to anything else.

Nonetheless, I just don't understand the automatic response of insults and nastiness. There's nothing about her post that warrants it.

This is a clear example of how the Thumb system can be abused: A quick burst of mean folks can effectively shut down a thread for newcomers, while alienating them in the process -- not because it violates any part of BGG's policies, but simply because they don't like it. Ironic, considering the spiritual purpose of her game.

Now, had she invented Bunco...
sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Alban
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schlappy wrote:
Nonetheless, I just don't understand the automatic response of insults and nastiness. There's nothing about her post that warrants it.

Not all of the responses were insulting or mean. And I think the negative responses are more of a response to the presumptuous nature of her post (both the title and the content) and the way she puffs up her game as the second coming. That sort of thing tends to rub people the wrong way.

Even if the game were great, I would reasonably expect some negative responses to this sort of hyperbole. But add in the fruitiness of the concept and the fact that this whole New Age concept was only shoehorned into board game format b/c that's how she thought it would convert the most people and it should be no surprise that it (deservedly, IMO) gets several thumbs down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Casanova
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hello gentleman,

Nice to see you're very responsive. I get that this might not be the correct forum and that this site really is not the target market. No worries. The game is about having the willingness to see things differently. We're all entitled to our opinions and the game is just an expression of mine. Thanks for checking it out and thanks to the guy that had my back- you rock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't lose heart Nicole. What board gamers lack in tact, they make up for in spades with the ability to produce and ship corn on their own personal wharf, manned by a colonist fresh from the university.

And there's other things that board gamers are superb at. Like, like... uh. Other things.

Welcome. I don't know who you need to talk to, but if you're "Shift"'s designer then you deserve a Game Designer badge for your profile. Also, submitting "Shift" as a new game will get your game some much desired visibility. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.