BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Eldritch Horror or Fury of Dracula for mah gurrrlfriend? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No poll since I don't want a popularity contest but a persuasive discussion if at all possible!

She loves occult, vampires and Dracula are both very popular. Cthulhu would also be exciting but I think the Dracula theme is the winner. Though both are fine.

We've never tried a co-op, so can't say how it would go. She's smart and a decent gamer though so I'm hoping Eldritch Horror would provide an experience where she can determine the fate of her own character without my involvement.

Fury of Dracula sounds fun, intrigue and vampires and nice little models... all great stuff.

Viewed in isolation Fury of Dracula seems to have the most going for it but we have no co-op games, maybe Eldritch Horror would be a nice change of pace. Plus people say it's an exceptionally good game, maybe it just blows FoD out of the water?

Please advise! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are very good games.
Just based in her preferences, Fury of Dracula sounds like a better choice. But if you have some experience already with hidden movement games like Scotland Yard or Letters from Whitechapel, that may affect your decision as hidden movement is a huge element in Dracula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror has a long set up, and takes a while to play, although it's better than Arkham Horror as far as time and set up goes. Some people like co-ops and some don't -- does she like you advising her what to do? I like Lovecraft themed games but they are pretty campy, and I never thought the implementations of Cthulhu mythos were all that scary.

I only have the original Fury of Dracula so I don't know all the changes in the second edition, but it does take a good Dracula player to make it fun, it's an us against them mechanic (I assume it still is). If you don't have a clever dracula, it could fall flat.

If she likes that kind of theme, you might consider Nightfall, which is a two player deck building card game that is confrontational and has a vampire/horror theme to it. It's also quite inexpensive these days, since it's older but it is an overlooked title.

You might also consider Betrayal at the House on the Hill, that's a good horror game, or Witch of Salem, if you can find it (also Cthulhu themed).

Kingsport Festival is also a good game, it's Kingsburg rethemed for Cthulhu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is just you two playing games I would go for Eldritch Horror for sure , you can each play 2 or more characters once you are comfortable with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
If it is just you two playing games I would go for Eldritch Horror for sure , you can each play 2 or more characters once you are comfortable with the game.

This was my clarification. One player controlling four characters and one having only one is not as fun. FoD really needs more than 2, while Eldritch plays well enough with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the investigators' turns in FoD interesting?

I assumed it would work well 2p in the manner that Letters From Whitechapel works well but in LFW, the investigators' turns are quite short and simple. If in FoD each investigator turn is more of an event, I can see it being a bit bland 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't vouch for it personally, but from what I've seen A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game might be something worth checking out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think FoD is great as a 2-player.

If you play one Hunter per player, you often end up with a player who is really bored because he will never encounter Dracula for the whole game (because of starting on the other side of the board - no fault of his own)

For example, in a recent game on Hunter spent half of the game just sailing around. This was a fine play since he could easily deter Drac from going to sea (he would easily keep up) but it would have been extremely boring for the player. Fortunately I was controlling all four hunters and it wasn't a problem.

When the hunters play well anyway, they all come to an agreement and move with singular purpose. There is no reason you need more than one person for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Personally I think FoD is great as a 2-player.

If you play one Hunter per player, you often end up with a player who is really bored because he will never encounter Dracula for the whole game (because of starting on the other side of the board - no fault of his own)

For example, in a recent game on Hunter spent half of the game just sailing around. This was a fine play since he could easily deter Drac from going to sea (he would easily keep up) but it would have been extremely boring for the player. Fortunately I was controlling all four hunters and it wasn't a problem.

When the hunters play well anyway, they all come to an agreement and move with singular purpose. There is no reason you need more than one person for that.

How is the balance in terms of turn length with 2 players? Is the Hunter player's turn significantly longer than the Dracula player's turn? Or is it pretty equal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Could you tell us what kind of games she likes to play?

A non-gamer would like neither of the games under discussion, in my opinion. My wife, who loves TTR, Power Grid, and Viticulture, would also like neither of the games under consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunter turn collectively is almost always longer than the Dracula turn, but the difference is exacerbated with more hunters since they take more time to agree on who should go where.

But even during the hunter turn, Dracula can usually plan what he's going to do (since hunters usually cannot move at night) so it doesn't really feel like downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't found anything which has really, really clicked. We both enjoy Innovation. RftG was enjoyed for a while, Conquest of Nerath also. She's up for playing fairly meaty games, but the theme has to appeal. Fantasy and occult are very popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and play primarily two player. Both are fantastic games.

The length is about the same for each. We play one investigator each in Eldritch Horror, and one person controls all 4 hunters in Fury of Dracula. One you have the game down and are well into it, the turns fly by for one player with 4 investigators. Especially when you are loaded for bear in terms of event cards and items. They actually sometimes take longer for the Dracula player.

There feels like more strategy in Fury of Dracula for both sides. Eldritch Horror is more reactive, and sometimes brutally difficult (and very, very random).

I like both equally. And really, you can't go wrong with either. One if cooperative, the other competitive. There are several expansions for Eldritch Horror, and obviously none yet for Fury of Dracula. I couldn't choose if you forced me to. They are both very, very good. It really depends on what kind of gameplay experience you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:
We haven't found anything which has really, really clicked. We both enjoy Innovation. RftG was enjoyed for a while, Conquest of Nerath also. She's up for playing fairly meaty games, but the theme has to appeal. Fantasy and occult are very popular.

It sounds like you guys like the same kind of games I do. Maybe take a look at War of the Ring or Battle of Five Armies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.