Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player runs out of cubes, say early in the game, by making contributions to lots of different cites, and his opponent chooses not to complete any of the cities he has contributed to, is there any legal way for him to get back in the game?

He can simply draw two cards per turn, and wait for another player to complete one of his cites. But he might be simply out. It seems that it is a hazard in a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, there is no way to get back into the game unless the opponent finishes one of the buildings you have made a contribution to. This may or may not happen as six offerings are required to the obelisk to win. That said, I would recommend forfeiting as you really won't be able to win.

Not that I know from experience or anything like that

Chris H.
[edit: typo]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way for him to legally get back in the game would be for his opponent to finish a buiding and free up one of his cubes - which is why players should avoid getting into that situation in the first place. Try finishing the one-contribution buildings or making both contributions on a two-contribution building instead of placing that last cube where you don't know when you'll get it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing 2P Blue Moon City almost every night for almost two weeks. (I kept winning by the leverage of one crystal or even just by having turn priority to get there first. My wife insisted on playing until she won.)

It's an incredibly enjoyable game 2P. A significant (and enjoyable) element of the game is managing your cube resource and not starting what you can't finish. So you can't just scatter individual cubes all over the board... and neither can your opponent.

Most games we finish most of the buildings, so in the event you chose to overcommit your cubes you would eventually become unlocked, but indeed as noted you are unlikely to win if you locked yourself up early in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically if someone runs out of cubes the game is a draw, as mentioned on page 3 of the rules.

The way we play is if you're dumb enough to exhaust your cubes, you're eliminated from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Sobczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually houserule this situation, with rule that states:"If you can complete a building, even if you have not enough cubes you can do it" or at least "you can take a cube from another place", so that a deadlock can't happen. I don't think it's a major rule change and i find a situation where rebuilding the city is stopped by lack of cubes (???) completely stupid and not fun at all.

But I haven't seen such a situation yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
z3phyr wrote:
I'd actually houserule this situation, with rule that states:"If you can complete a building, even if you have not enough cubes you can do it" or at least "you can take a cube from another place", so that a deadlock can't happen. I don't think it's a major rule change and i find a situation where rebuilding the city is stopped by lack of cubes (???) completely stupid and not fun at all.

Then don't put yourself in that situation.

Spreading your influence out in a broad net is a high-risk high-reward strategy. I wouldn't find it useful for game balance to remove the risk element.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.