T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see there is only one article in the Strategy folder for Crokinole so far (and it's about which finger to use for flicking). Perhaps this issue isn't exactly strategy, but I was wondering what people's feelings are about passing. I only got the game a few weeks ago (for Christmas 2006), but have already played it almost 50 times. We sometimes still play with scoring the difference each round and winning at 100, but more often than not we do match play with the round going to whoever has more points, regardless of the difference, and first to 4 matches. We've found that it is not infrequent that a player will want to pass their shot, especially towards the end of a round, when they think that taking the shot is likely to do more harm than good. We've taken to just flicking a disk right off the board whenever such a situation arises, but I've begun to wonder what other people do. I've never played Crokinole with anyone I didn't teach it to, and I just learned from the few sentences included with my Hilinski board, so I'm no expert. I'm just wondering if the issue of passing comes up when others play, and whether or not you've handled it differently. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no passing...

Now ditching a shot, that's different. I rarely will ditch a shot, ('cause I'm just that damn good ), but I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with it. I would think it varies among different groups of players. Since there is no real way you could enforce it, ("oh darn, look I missed everything!"), I don't get bent about it. Now hiding all your free shots behind the pegs in a two player game, instead of actually trying for the 20, that's bush league...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/146620
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
There is no passing...

Now ditching a shot, that's different. I rarely will ditch a shot, ('cause I'm just that damn good ), but I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with it. I would think it varies among different groups of players. Since there is no real way you could enforce it, ("oh darn, look I missed everything!"), I don't get bent about it. Now hiding all your free shots behind the pegs in a two player game, instead of actually trying for the 20, that's bush league...

Ahh, ditching/passing, same difference. Sounds like you must be pretty good, heh, but for the rest of us plebians, it is good to know that ditching/passing is generally accepted. That's a good point about not being able to enforce any alternative rule, although being a law student, I know that the law doesn't shy away from trying to determine someone's intent, even though it's nearly impossible. In fact, the law doesn't shy away from differenting between 4 or 5 different gradations of intent sometimes, even when splitting it into 2 groups would be hard enough, heh. Anyway, yeah, I agree about hiding shots in a 2-player game instead of going for the 20, which is why we recently started playing with the rule (suggested in my Hilinski rules that accompanied my board) that open/free shots (where the opponent doesn't have anything on the board) must end at least touching the 15 line or completely within it, so you can't just tap it and leave it all the way on your end.

ACK ACK wrote:

Ahh, thanks for the link Andrew. Looks like this issue has already been discussed in depth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have rarely had the need to ditch a shot, but I'll admit that the one or two times it has happened... it felt kind of cheap. But as far as I know, you are within the rules to throw your shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea why people think it's cheap to ditch. It's like saying it's cheap to not attack troops when the chances of winning are, say, 2%.

It's actually often a bad play to not ditch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
I have no idea why people think it's cheap to ditch.

It's because the World Crokinole Championship rules (the closest thing this game has to an official set of guidelines for play) are very awkwardly worded. Their wording implies that a player *must* attempt to make contact with an opposing disc. I think that's all - if the official Crokinole championship rules were written 'properly' (dictating procedures and penalties, and not ruling on intents) this issue likely never would have come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the rules are written badly. But that would mean it's illegal. To say it's cheap implies that something is wrong with it outside the rules.

Somebody should write up some rules and submit them to those in charge of the championship game. We could do better than they did, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.