GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Ambition» Forums » Rules

Subject: # of players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Cashatt
United States
Eldora
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The description of this game says 3-4 players, only see rules for 4 players. Does anyone know of rules for 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Church
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Here's what I recommend for a 3-player game: take out the 8-Jack of clubs and the 9-Jack of the other 3 suits. You now have 39 cards and 93 points in the deck. Slam is still 72; it's about as hard to take 72/93 in a 3-player game as it is to take 72/112 in a regular 4-player game.

Nil becomes messy in a 3-player game. The nasty risk one takes when going Nil is "double Nil"; with only 2 active players, either someone Slams or the runner-up gets a lot of points, dwarfing your Nil bonus (that's even more true with the new rules, which I'll be putting out around Sept. 1). When you only have 3, one Nil player is enough to create this 2-active-player situation. I don't know what the "right" value of Nil would be in a 3-player game; maybe 25 points?

Honestly, though, I've experimented a fair bit and come to the conclusion that Ambition plays very well with exactly 4, but it doesn't scale very well in either direction. That seems to be an inherent limitation of the game. I'd actually be more interested in coming up with a 5-player version than 3, just because there are already a number of great card and board games for 3 (for 3 players, I usually break out T&E).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.