Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
April 30th, 1944 - Last battle of the Barking Hounds.
Attack scenario - 2 squads and 3 tanks to travel from one side of the map to the other.

And now, brilliant MSPaint map #1!

The walk out of the first mountain (usually you don't play on so much mountainous terrain, it's the hardest thing to roll on the terrain table) was uneventful, but once we got into the forest and I had to decide to try and get my tanks to drive through or around, we spotted the first Germans. A squad behind a defensive position. Looks like through is the way to go.

The firefight began. There were 8 Germans to my 7, though I had another squad of 6 who was circling around to flank them on the left of the woods. The machine gun on the German side was already set up and provided some devestating fire, though the cover of the woods was a blessing.

Our tanks were able to plow a path through the forest(JS-2m) and stuck its main gun in the German's faces and promptly blew their machine gun into next Tuesday (see it on ABC's The Muppets!)

Once that was accomplished, the rest of the Germans were knocked out of the fight, or took the better part of valor. The fight took 4 men out of my 7 man squad, and took quite a few Star Power dice out of me. The other squad didn't have the time to flank and we were too close for grenades which would have made the fight so much easier. Which leads to-

I sent one of my squad forward to begin dismantling the defenses to allow our tanks through while we set up some defenses of our own from the PDFs that were coming from around the mountains to the East. Then doubles were rolled for activation. Event. Mines.

The Germans had boobytrapped the sandbags.

FWAKOOM!

In a cascade of splinters, mud and smoke, the remaining bits of the Barking Hounds were no more, and I did not have enough Star Power to reduce the Obviously Dead result to anything less than Out of the Fight. Looks like I'll be spending some time recovering behind the front lines. Looks like those Germans were doing everything in their power to prevent our counterattack, and this time, it worked.

------------------------------

I guess it's okay. I've been jonesing to play All Things Zombie: Final Fade Out anyway. But damn, what a way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
What I like the most about NUTs and THW games in general is the story unfolds before you as opposed to knowing everything beforehand. Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, there you go and remind me that there is a newer version of NUTS! I simply have to buy instead of just playing my older version. Nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
I went for the longest time telling myself that it's not necessary to upgrade.

And then I did.

It's totally worth it.

The layout is vastly improved. The personalization you can do of your Star and your squad is great. The campaign aspect is great.

Mind you, it's all stuff garnered from all the other books, but it's nice to have all in one place and translated to WWII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered and PDF already on my iPad for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Well for what it's worth, I hate upgrading and will only do it if it is a significant change that makes the rules better. Lots of it comes from listening to my customers who tell me what they want.
But just so everyone knows, when an update happens all of the previously purchased supplements STILL work with the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rimmer
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really want to see a PC conversion of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.