Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

When you search for the Stockpile, can you do a search action and just discard a Binocular to advance two spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear an official answer. We avoided doing it because it did't feel right even if it seems like the rules allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Your intuition is correct and you were correct not to play Binoculars on its own. The Search rules state, "Discard one or more cards to advance the search party token along a search track."

The intent here was "Player cards." I'll see if we can make this clearer in a future printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:
Your intuition is correct and you were correct not to play Binoculars on its own. The Search rules state, "Discard one or more cards to advance the search party token along a search track."

The intent here was "Player cards." I'll see if we can make this clearer in a future printing.

Thank you!

That will make our next and last game more interesting - we have set up the game and the soldier ended up with Binoculars, still powerful I guess but our first thought was that he could just advance the track 4 spaces each turn on his own without anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
mleacock wrote:

I understand that you have to discard at least one card to take a Search action, and only then can you play Binoculars to help with the Search.

But does that card have to be one that will advance the search?

In other words, would it be legal to take the Search action, discard a non-matching card and advance the search token 0 spaces? But then augment that with Binoculars to move 2 spaces?

Relatedly, is it legal to discard irrelevant cards to a search so someone can pick them up from the discard pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb

We took a turn where we discarded a single card of the correct color, in a situation where 2 were required to advance the search track (in combination with the binoculars.

This was because the search rules state 'discard a card of the right color' to perform a search, but the specific search stated 'discard two cards to advance the search track'. So... we discarded a card of the right color to perform the search, but did not advance for meeting the requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
so can you use binoculars for the final search or not? it doesn't feels right so we didn't used them. But technially if you look at the wording you can?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
so can you use binoculars for the final search or not? it doesn't feels right so we didn't used them. But technially if you look at the wording you can?

(since the thread is labelled to contain December spoilers, I'm not going to bother spoilering my post)

I haven't actually reached July yet, so I don't know the precise wording of the search rules, let alone the binoculars, so I'm only going from what others have said, but my impression is:

If you advance the search track and also have binoculars in your hand, you can discard them to take advantage of their effect.

If you do not discard anything else, you can't discard binoculars on their own to get their effect.

It's not clear whether you can discard the wrong cards to the search action to advance 0 spaces, and use binoculars to add to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that you must advance at least on step normal and then use binoculars to move two additional steps. Seems very clear to us. One player did read here before on said, we aren't allowed to use binoculars and that it was official. But I read Matt answer like we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lette Hamiti
Germany
Görlitz
Saxony
flag msg tools
Wirrkopf
mbmbmbmbmb
On hindsight I need to revise my thoughts on the Binoculars and agree with you completely, Axel. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Roy
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
ar147 wrote:
We played that you must advance at least on step normal and then use binoculars to move two additional steps. Seems very clear to us. One player did read here before on said, we aren't allowed to use binoculars and that it was official. But I read Matt answer like we played.

(Spoiler in title so not hiding my replies.)

Axel's idea is how we ended up playing it. One of the people in our group thought we could use the binoculars with no card being played at all, but our google searches didn't find a formal clarification in time. So we called it a "maybe we won" and then kept playing with Axel's approach and still won, so that made us happy.

At the end of the day what I think "feels" right is that normally searching requires a card matching the location color. December changes that to match the color on the card instead of the location color. So you can't do a search action unless you can play the cards that match the next step in the search, and so binoculars can't trigger if you aren't doing a valid search action.

One thing we wondered about is if the 2 advancements can be done at any time, or have to be done together. If I have Binoculars with RRG in hand, and (making this up for an example) the search needed RBRBG, could I advance 5 by using in order Red / Binoculars first advancement / Red / Binoculars second advancement / Green.

It doesn't say Binoculars are used at "end" of the search, so we took it to mean we can use it at any time during the search. In prior months this doesn't come up. In future editions of the rules, it might be helpful to have some specific guidance on the binoculars appear when December rules are added.

Soldier + Binoculars was such a huge help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roy7 wrote:
One thing we wondered about is if the 2 advancements can be done at any time, or have to be done together. If I have Binoculars with RRG in hand, and (making this up for an example) the search needed RBRBG, could I advance 5 by using in order Red / Binoculars first advancement / Red / Binoculars second advancement / Green.

The standard rule is that you can't interrupt the resolution of a card's effect, so I'd say you need to apply both binocular advances to consecutive search steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Careful reading eliminates some of the ambiguity. Binoculars says: "Discard this card to advance a search party token 2 additional spaces when you take the Search action." (emphasis added) By it's plain language, the binoculars only allow you to move additional spaces, which necessarily means that you must move at least 1 space to use it. Thus, you could not discard incorrect cards or part of a two-card set or use it by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think "additional" necessarily implies that. If you deleted that word from the card text, then the card could be read as meaning that you advance 2 spaces instead of whatever advancements you would otherwise get. The word "additional" could hypothetically be used to exclude that reading without any intention of implying that you need to have greater-than-zero advances before using it.

(Note: the designer already posted earlier in this thread to say that you always need to discard at least 1 regular search card in order to use the binoculars. I am not arguing about how it was intended to work. I am merely pointing out that there is more than one way to read the game text.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Denardi
msg tools
mbmb
Our doubt is as following.
When I do the search action with binoculars, do I necessarily have to play regular cards *before* using binoculars or not?
Can I first use binoculars to advance the marker and then play the needed regular cards?
We're playing an italian translation.
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
You have to play regular cards first. You can only play Binoculars after advancing normally according to the cards you played for the Search action itself.

(And yes, you do have to play the appropriate cards to advance at least one space to perform a Search. You can't advance zero spaces and then use Binoculars!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowserbgg wrote:
Our doubt is as following.
When I do the search action with binoculars, do I necessarily have to play regular cards *before* using binoculars or not?
Can I first use binoculars to advance the marker and then play the needed regular cards?
We're playing an italian translation.
Thank you.

If memory serves, there's a clarification ruling out there somewhere.

To search, you discard specific cards that meet the requirements to satisfy the conditions on advancing the search track, then you apply any bonuses and effects from Binoculars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.