New Dawn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Errata / FAQ thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with all the ambiguities in the rulebook, I thought it might be a good idea for a (somewhat) official thread to collect them. it includes questions from the forum and me nagging the artipia guys in essen.

please send any typos/errors via PM to keep the thread clear of other questions/discussions that might come up, thanks.

last update: 2015-11-17

Errata:

Green Base Benefit Cards: Tech Superiority / Secured Facility - Misprint, should not have the ST indicator on them. (Source)
Ambassador Cards: Aveline Kerr - The card should read 5+ (to make it more clear you still get 3 resources when rolling higher than 6 with tokens). (Source)

FAQ:

Q: What does the bottom left icon on hostile facilities mean?
A: Rulebook, Section 5.6b: "A player may not Establish Base on a Hostile Facility. Hostile Facilities may only become controlled through the Seize Control Action." - The number is the strength.

Q: Can I have more than one MHQ on a facility?
A: Yes. (Source)

Q: Can I voluntarily remove a base (for example from the Alliance Base card) if I don't have one of a given type?
A: No. Bases get only removed from facilities after a successful Seize Control action by an attacker. The Alliance Base is not a Facility and can't be controlled.

Q: Can I still Establish Base or Seize Control if I don't have a Base of that Facility's type?
A: "Once you've maxed out a Base type, you may not Establish Base or Seize Control of Facilities of that type." (Source) - You can still attack Bases of a different type.

Q: What's the difference between Establish Base and Seize Control?
A: "You can Seize Control of any Facility. Even non-controlled. The difference is that when you establish base, you spend resources, while when you Seize Control, you don't (but there is some risk in failure)." (Source)

Q: Whenever a card allows me to Establish Base / Seize Control (like Harbinger Temple), can I do that anywhere?
A: No. "There are several cards in the game that allow you to Establish Base or Seize Control of a Facility in various ways. Those cards simply allow you to perform the Action (with some kind of advantage/benefit). However, this is still the Establish Base and the Seize Control action being performed so you always need at least one MHQ there to do it." (Source)

Q: Who controls the Alliance Base and is it a Facility (does it count for abilities)?
A: "No player controls the Alliance Base as it is not considered a Facility." (Source)

Q: Can I use a Facility's ability when I take control or only when I explore it?
A: Only after an Explore Facility action (or a card allows you to).

Q: When an ability allows to perform an action "adjacent", does that mean adjacent to the card itself or the MHQ?
A: Adjacent to the card. (Source)

Q: When a Facility allows me to by a Technology for less, does that mean I can buy two (1 now for cheaper, 1 in the Buy Technology step)?
A: Yes. "All Facility abilities are performed right away which means that you Buy Technology right away. In the upcoming Buy Technology step, you will have the chance to acquire another Technology." (Source)

Q: If I can buy a Technology card cheaper, can I reduce the cost to 0?
A: "Yes, you can buy 1 cost technology for free." (Source)

Q: Can I exchange Technologies once I bought them (for example I already bought five and want to buy another)?
A: No. "You may not acquire any more technologies after you've filled your 5 slots." (Source)

Q: Can I use a Technology card at any time during my turn?
A: "Your own turn means at any time it is your turn to play unless the technology states a specific moment during your turn. For example a technology that allows you to get a Military resource can be used at the time you explore a Facility or at the time you Buy Technology or right before you send Aid to the Alliance." (Source)

Q: If a Technology card allows to re-roll an attacker's dice, who controls the dice?
A: "The owner of the Technology activated chooses which die will be replaced with a Green one (before the dice are rolled of course)." (Source)

Q: Can I discard a Facility card?
A: Only before drawing new Phase B Facilities in Round 3 (or an ability allows you to).

Q: What happens when there is no more room to play a Facility?
A: No more Facilities can be played. (Source)

Q: When can I adjust a Facility's orientation?
A: "You receive benefit because of the orientation process, not because of the Establish Base or Seize Control. This means that whenever you are somehow allowed to adjust the orientation, you receive benefits once more." (Source)

Q: Do I have to adjust orientation?
A: Rulebook, Section 6: "If the player wishes, he may choose not to rotate the Facility card, in which case he receives the Base Benefits of the cards the arrows already point at." - (0 or 360 rotation doesn't really make a difference).

Q: Does I get the Base Benefit every time after adjusting orientation?
A: "Yes. With the exception of the two Base Benefits explained above [+VP/+Defense] (and the Secured Facility Base Benefits from KS stretch rewards), all others can be claimed again and again each time you are allowed to adjust orientation." (Source)

Q: Can I get a Base Benefit more than once (for example buy VP)?
A: "You can do that only once each time the facility's orientation is adjusted." (Source)

Q: How does the Priority Objective Base Benefit card work?
A: "Every facility you control at the end of the game that has a green arrow pointing at it gets a VP." (Source)

Q: How does the +2 Defense on a Base Benefit Card work?
A: "The 2+ Defense is an on-going ability. As long as the controlled Facility has an arrow pointed at this benefits it has a +2 on its defense total." (Source)

Q: How does the Colonial Complex facility's ability work?
A: Only after establishing a Base first you are allowed to establish a second one (you don't have to perform the ability at all, see Rulebook 5.3). The cost of the second Base is "Base cost + 2 of any Resource". The second Base must follow legal rules to establish a Base (adjacent or on top a MHQ) (Source)

Q: Can you use your race technology out of turn? E.g. Pay a resource to move a MHQ in response to someone trying to seize control of your facility.
A: "You may only use your Technology during your turn. Only exception is Technologies that allow you to do something as a Defender. Those may be used when you are attacked." (Source)

Q: Can I move my MHQs even if I don't buy one (Rulebook 5.6e)
A: No, you have to buy one first. (Source)

Q: Facility Sectorial Conveyor: Can I use it to swap an enemy owned adjacent facility into a Supernova region and thereby remove its base (since bases cannot exist in a Supernova region).
A: Yes, you can!! (Source)

Q: Facility Shuttle Factory: Can I still play the ability after exploring another Facility that gives me a token (if I got none of that type)?

Q: Can I use more than one token for one dice roll?
A: Yes. "You can spend as many tokens as you can. Also keep in mind that tokens can be spent whenever you would roll dice" (Source)

Q: If someone declares a re-roll and a plus 2, can they use the plus 2 on the rerolled result?

Q: Ambassador Aveline Kerr: can I use tokens when using her ability?
A: Yes. "The tokens can be used to influence ANY die roll in the game, not only combat related ones. So yes, the ambassador mentioned above can indeed be affected by the tokens. Whenever there is an exception and the tokens cannot be used to affect the die roll, it is stated explicitly (ie in some facilities' abilities). (Source)
also: "The Feronsy Ambassador can be boosted with a Green Die to increase the chance of offering you 3 Resources." (Source)

Q: Ambassador Aveline Kerr: what if I roll more than 6 with a green die?
A: "The card should read 5+ (to make it more clear) so yes, by using token you can ensure you will be getting 3 resources." (Source)

Q: Does the starting player sit closest to the starting player or furthest?
A: "Clockwise order matters. What the rules are trying to say is that player being behind (least amount of bases) starts. If there's a tie between players (same amount of bases), then choose that one who is closest clockwise to current starting player." (Source)

Q: What happens if there's a tie and the current starting player is one of the people tied?
A: "Whenever there is a tie between the current starting player and another player, that other player is the one that must become the new starting player. Having the current starting player remaining the starting player should always be the last option." (Source)

Q: What does the symbol on the technology slot on the Sisssaurians / Ludons player board the mean?
A: "(in addition to that technology bonus) you get the token depicted in the technology slot to be used once."(Source)

Q: Can a Sheptas player still be attacked by a player with no resources?
A: No. (Source)

Q: How does the timing regarding tokens work exactly?
A: Designer's Quote:
3pod wrote:
Keep in mind that the defender only begins to roll dice AFTER the final result of the attacker is determined so the sequence would be.

1) Attacker Declares Tokens
2) Defender Declares Tokens
3) Attacker Rolls
4) Attacker may use Re-Roll Tokens
5) Final Attacker total is determined
5) Defender Rolls
6) Defender may use Re-Roll Tokens
7) Final Defender total is determined
8) Combat outcome is determined

Q: Do I always have to place an Ambassador Token, even if it doesn't do anything?
A: Yes. Designer's Quote:
Nocture wrote:
The 2 attacking ambassadors demand that you place them on top of the facility that you will seize control. If there are already 2 ambassadors on that facility you cannot place them and thus cannot attack the facility using THEIR ability.

Arch Terath demands that you place him on top of the facility you will establish a base

Ysh Otson and Rei A. Calson allow you to explore to an adjacent facility from where they will stand.

Alyth Mckeen gives you the type of resources based on the facility you will place her.

Aveline Kerr and B-EV 13978 are the only that facility doesn't affect their ability. But if you place them right you can avoid Jor Sitek and Myros the Tactician to be used against your facility.

Q: Does the Qualeen's ability of being adjacent to MHQ two spaces away have to be in a straight line or just two spaces away like a L shape? Do you count 2 spaces through all empty spaces as well?
A: Rulebook 5.3: "All Regions surrounding a Facility (including diagonal) are considered adjacent to it.". Empty Spaces don't count. Designer's Quote:
3pod wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Do you count 2 spaces through all empty spaces as well?

No. You need adjacency.

Here is another example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so helpful! I love that you even site the source. (Are you a Wikipedia editor?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Schreiber wrote:
Wow, so helpful! I love that you even site the source. (Are you a Wikipedia editor?)

I just prefer to have an official ruling, else I could claim anything.

of course you can always houserule stuff, but imo there's a reason the designers designed it the way they did (for example the qualeen adjacency is the handled the same way as in among the stars, but I never would've imagined it would in new dawn!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthias,

Thanks for doing this! You nailed it!

Could you also put this into the FILES section for NEW DAWN? That's where people will look for this and the rules.

Great work!!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

Could you also put this into the FILES section for NEW DAWN? That's where people will look for this and the rules.

PDF has been approved and should be up now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilborn
msg tools
mbmb
Q: Does I get the Base Benefit every time after adjusting orientation?
A: "Yes. With the exception of the two Base Benefits explained above [+VP/+Defense] (and the Secured Facility Base Benefits from KS stretch rewards), all others can be claimed again and again each time you are allowed to adjust orientation." (Source)

Q: Can I get a Base Benefit more than once (for example buy VP)?
A: "You can do that only once each time the facility's orientation is adjusted." (Source)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is still unclear to me as written. I get the benifit once per "rotation adjustment" or not? Once per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
konicki wrote:

This is still unclear to me as written. I get the benifit once per "rotation adjustment" or not? Once per round?

you can exchange resources for VP only once every time you adjust rotation, not "rotate and use base benefit five times" (you would need to rotate 5 times for that).

rotation is not limited per round, but activation per rotation is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.